How to use ASDA Roundabout

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum How to use ASDA Roundabout

• Author

wxmviolet
    Participant

@Philip Osborne 9640 wrote:

Do you mean this roundabout?

indestateroundabout.jpg

And you are suggesting that drivers approaching from Wrexham on the A534 and taking the Industrial Estate Road are wrong to use the left-hand lane?

I hope you have good insurance on your car!

Yes that is roundabout. Firstly, yes thank you I do have have good insurance on my car and never had a claim in 30 years. Now back to the map:-

From Wrexham, in my opinion:-

1st Exit “Borras Hall Lane” = Classed As Left Turn = Left Lane

2nd Exit “Wrexham Road” = Classed As Straight On = Left Lane

3rd Exit “Industrial Estate Road” = Classed As Right Turn = Right Lane

4th Exit “Sandy Lane” = Classed As Right Turn = Right Lane

5th Exit “A534 Back to Wrexham” = Classed As Right Turn = Right Lane

How far around a roundabout would you say you have to travel before it is classed as a right turn ??

If the 3rd exit above and the 3rd exit on the Asda roundabout towards Tesco are not classed as right turns, then I am at a loss. :confused:

Steve
    Participant

@wxmviolet 9665 wrote:

Personally I would agree with the above, if people did not use the Right lane for the industrial estate the then left lane would have a huge queue in it as the only people using the right would be people going to sandy lane and people who are lost doing a U turn.

However in my view people using both left and right lanes for the industrial estate is not a problem, there are 2 lanes on and 2 lanes off when ‘turning right’ to the industrial estate, the problem arises when people cut across roundabout lanes or go right to overtake or left to get into lane one without looking, ‘expecting no one to be there because THEY ”know” they were in the correct lane’.

Really at the and of the day clear singe on the approach to the roundabout would solve the problem, if the highways department decide Left, Right or Both are the correct way then everyone knows if you agree on not, and insurance claims would be dealt with quicker pinpointing someone doing wrong.

Iceman
    Participant

@Philip Osborne 9638 wrote:

And so you should … as I pointed out in the previous post, a dual-lane entrance and a dual-lane exit mean that you are free to use both lanes when crossing the roundabout. Grove Road is a turning after the roundabout and so you are still (technically) taking the A5152 turning off the roundabout first, and doing it in the left-hand lane. When it suits your journey better to be in the left-hand lane, you use the left-hand lane. When it suits your journey better to be in the right-hand lane, you use the right-hand lane. I also often use the right-hand lane at that roundabout to avoid any traffic that is queuing for Grove Road.

My point was not that you shouldn’t take the right-hand lane, but rather that you don’t have to take it just because the exit happens to be slightly beyond 12 o’clock … you take it because it fits the actual road-conditions and your intended route.

Equally, the same should apply to the ASDA roundabout further along the A5152!

The reason you should use the left hand lane when going down Grosvenor road and wanting to take grove road is because there are great big arrows on the road saying that you can! There aren’t any on the ASDA roundabout

Iceman
    Participant

@Philip Osborne 9639 wrote:

Good suggestion Iceman … let us know what you find!

I found the 12 o clock rule in one of the appendices

Iceman
    Participant

@NJones 9609 wrote:

Spot on Rondetto. Why people give filthy looks when coming out of ASDA is beyond me.The roundabout is clearly two lane entrance, two lane exit.

How would you explain a roundabout with three exits, all of which were dual carriageways then?

dewi73
    Participant

I just close my eyes and ‘go for it’!!
    Only 3 minor accidents in 23 years of motoring.

Rob
    Participant

Sods law I read this thread, went towards Pandy and had someone in the left lane as per going onto the bypass as the gresford roundabout cuts in to middle lane and almost runs me off the road!

Iceman
    Participant

@dewi73 9681 wrote:

I just close my eyes and ‘go for it’!!
    Only 3 minor accidents in 23 years of motoring.

Brilliant. Just as good a plan as anything else!:)

Iceman
    Participant

@Rob 9690 wrote:

Sods law I read this thread, went towards Pandy and had someone in the left lane as per going onto the bypass as the gresford roundabout cuts in to middle lane and almost runs me off the road!

Scary. Once i was going round the Gresford roundabout and an old dear was coming the other way! Seems she had come off the bypass from Chester, thought that the roundabout was a T junction and turned right onto the roundabout! She just stopped and started crying!

Philip Osborne
    Participant

@wxmviolet 9665 wrote:

Yes that is roundabout. Firstly, yes thank you I do have have good insurance on my car and never had a claim in 30 years. Now back to the map:-

How far around a roundabout would you say you have to travel before it is classed as a right turn ??

If the 3rd exit above and the 3rd exit on the Asda roundabout towards Tesco are not classed as right turns, then I am at a loss. :confused:

Well, you’re such a strong exponent of the 12 o’clock rule, I would have thought that viewing this roundabout from above would make it clear. Are you now saying that the number of exits are what determine a left turn from a right turn rather than the angle? So anything more than 2 is a right turn?

The fact that the Industrial Estate Road is as near to 12 o’clock as you can get AND that both the link road and the Industrial Estate Road are dual carriageways with two lanes entering and exiting the roundabout make it clear that this is the primary intended route and that use of both lanes is valid.

I didn’t ever say that use of the right lane was wrong, or that you HAD to use the left lane … both lanes are valid … but this does mean that those who do use the left lane are NOT in the wrong, which is what you said in your previous comment.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Andy Dunbobbin – Labour and Co-operative Party candidate

News

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News