How to use ASDA Roundabout

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum How to use ASDA Roundabout

• Author

zinger
    Participant

Road planning should be the most straight forward, obvious way. How strangers to the area manage our complicated road rules is anybodies guess.

jimbow
    Participant

Similar problems arise on the roundabout outside the groves on Chester road.If you are approaching the roundabout from Nightingale House the right hand lane is for traffic to exit into Grosvenor Road.The left hand lane is for traffic going left to the Asda Roundabout or continuing on straight into Wrexham Town Centre.So to continue straight on keep in the left hand lane.
    Now when approaching from the opposite direction from the Town Centre, the left hand lane is for traffic going into Grosvenor Road,the right hand lane is for continuing straight across up Chester Road and also for turning right towards the Asda Roundabout.So for continuing in a straight line traffic from one direction is in the inside lane and from the oppisite direction it is in the outside lane.Both on the same roundabout.Please use the bus.

Iceman
    Participant

@lazyjack 9597 wrote:

If I am reading this thread correctly, coming from Grosvenor Road, then over the first roundabout (Chester Road) to the ASDA roundabout, then heading towards Tesco is not actually turning right, it’s straight on. ASDA is left, police station is right. Just because it’s past 12 o’clock doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a right turn. Ask any driving instructor (or test examiner), if you were on your test and asked to continue straight ahead, which exit would you take ?

I give up. Have fun in court arguing that right is not really right if you are unlucky enough to have a crash whilst turning right from the left hand lane.

NJones
    Participant

Spot on Rondetto. Why people give filthy looks when coming out of ASDA is beyond me.The roundabout is clearly two lane entrance, two lane exit.

wxmviolet
    Participant

The road heading towards Asda from the “Chester Road” end is called Powell Road. The turning for Tesco off Powell Road roundabout is definitely a right hand turn. Left is the school, straight ahead is Asda and right is Tesco and Police station.

I was taught that when approaching a roundabout a turning off after the 12 o’clock position is to be taken using the right hand lane UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED BY ROAD MARKINGS. Such road markings are not on this roundabout, therefore, the right hand lane should be used.

Using a left hand lane to go all the way around a roundabout does not make any sense anyway. To me it is dangerous – vehicles in the right hand lane will want to turn off somewhere on the roundabout !!

I really do not know where this culture of using the left hand lane to turn right on a roundabout has come from. It seems to be getting worse. The roundabout on the new link road where the turnings for Holt and Wrexham Industrial Estate are is another prime example. I have been forced many a time to keep in the outside lane onto the Industrial Estate road by drivers insisting on coming around in the left lane, then they are moaning because I am keeping them in the left hand lane because I don’t have the acceleration – YOUR PROBLEM – YOU FORCED ME INTO THIS LANE.

Maybe if there are any traffic police and/or driving instructors reading this topic they would like to let us know the correct procedures for these roundabouts – then we will all know who is right and who is wrong. If I am wrong then I will change my 30 year driving habit of using the right hand lane to turn right on a roundabout.

Rondetto
    Participant

Violet, of course you are right, to get in the right hand lane to turn right.
    I am talking about coming down Chester road past Strathmore surgery and turning left towards Asda, then it’s the left hand lane. However, coming from Chester street past Llwyn Isaf car park towards the roundabout leading to Asda it’s the right hand lane to turn right.
    I think there has been some confusion.

NJones
    Participant

Driving instructors aren’t experts- they just put forward their opinion of how the rules are interpreted. I’ve seen some driving instructors in Wrexham with pretty shocking driving ability- maybe thats the problem?

zinger
    Participant

They don’t teach people how to indicate for example. My driving instructor told me to take the most direct route but it was before this new lot of road planners were born.

zinger
    Participant

And Violet you are right. Bodhyfryd isn’t a continuation of Powell Road. But then neither is Asda I suppose.

Philip Osborne
    Participant

@wxmviolet 9611 wrote:

The road heading towards Asda from the “Chester Road” end is called Powell Road. The turning for Tesco off Powell Road roundabout is definitely a right hand turn. Left is the school, straight ahead is Asda and right is Tesco and Police station.

I was taught that when approaching a roundabout a turning off after the 12 o’clock position is to be taken using the right hand lane UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED BY ROAD MARKINGS. Such road markings are not on this roundabout, therefore, the right hand lane should be used.

Using a left hand lane to go all the way around a roundabout does not make any sense anyway. To me it is dangerous – vehicles in the right hand lane will want to turn off somewhere on the roundabout !!

The “12 o’clock” rule is an arbitrary generalisation used by driving instructors to simplify things for learner drivers … however, it is never stated in the Highway Code, which allows for a more mature and less arbitrary reading of specific road environments. An arbitrary 12 o’clock rule cannot work for a number of reasons. For example, many roads “splay” as they approach the roundabout, so what do you use to judge the angle? A centre line down the middle of the road? Or a centre line down the middle of your side of the road as it splays outwards? What if someone is using a slightly different protractor to yours when measuring the angle?

A strict “12 o’clock” rule might apply where all exits from the roundabout are of equal priority … but where a dual-carriageway clearly crosses a roundabout (at whatever angle) where all other exits are minor roads logic tells you that the dual-carriageway is the primary route, anything to the left of the primary route is a “left turn” and anything to the right of the primary route is a “right turn”.

In the case of the ASDA roundabout, there is a numbered A-road passing through the roundabout (A5152). Due to geography/geometry of the road, the roundabout happens to be on a curved section of that road causing the exit to be slightly beyond the 12 o’clock point from the entrance … however, both lanes of the dual-carriageway A5152 enter and leave the roundabout as the primary route. The exits to buildings such as the school, ASDA and police station (none of which are actually real “highways”, just access roads) are secondary to this route.

In reply to another commenter that said you always leave a roundabout in the left lane … this is not true either. If a dual-carriageway passes through a roundabout, this means both lanes are available. Imagine the chaos and queues that would be caused on your way round (for example) the Shrewsbury bypass if everyone in the right lane merged back into the left lane just to go round the roundabouts and then moved back into the right lane again … you would immediately double the length of every queue, and increase the risk of collisions.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News

Senedd rejects calls to introduce for academies and free schools in Wales

News