How to use ASDA Roundabout

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum How to use ASDA Roundabout

• Author

Philip Osborne
    Participant

As another example for why the so-called “12 o’clock rule” should not be taken literally, take a look at an aerial view of the roundabout where Grosvenor Road crosses Rhosddu Road. A strict application of the “12 o’clock rule” would mean you should use the right-hand lane on that roundabout to continue along the A5152.

roundabout.jpg

I doubt that you do use the right-hand lane though, because logic and common-sense tell you that it is straight on regardless of the strict measurement of the angle, and so you use the left-hand lane.

NJones
    Participant

@Philip Osborne 9636 wrote:

As another example for why the so-called “12 o’clock rule” should not be taken literally, take a look at an aerial view of the roundabout where Grosvenor Road crosses Rhosddu Road. A strict application of the “12 o’clock rule” would mean you should use the right-hand lane on that roundabout to continue along the A5152.

roundabout.jpg

I doubt that you do use the right-hand lane though, because logic and common-sense tell you that it is straight on regardless of the strict measurement of the angle, and so you use the left-hand lane.

I always use the right hand lane to do that as it’s a two lane exit. If I’m heading towards ASDA I use right lane, if I’m heading down Grove road I use left lane.

Philip Osborne
    Participant

@NJones 9637 wrote:

I always use the right hand lane to do that as it’s a two lane exit. If I’m heading towards ASDA I use right lane, if I’m heading down Grove road I use left lane.

And so you should … as I pointed out in the previous post, a dual-lane entrance and a dual-lane exit mean that you are free to use both lanes when crossing the roundabout. Grove Road is a turning after the roundabout and so you are still (technically) taking the A5152 turning off the roundabout first, and doing it in the left-hand lane. When it suits your journey better to be in the left-hand lane, you use the left-hand lane. When it suits your journey better to be in the right-hand lane, you use the right-hand lane. I also often use the right-hand lane at that roundabout to avoid any traffic that is queuing for Grove Road.

My point was not that you shouldn’t take the right-hand lane, but rather that you don’t have to take it just because the exit happens to be slightly beyond 12 o’clock … you take it because it fits the actual road-conditions and your intended route.

Equally, the same should apply to the ASDA roundabout further along the A5152!

Philip Osborne
    Participant

@Iceman 9588 wrote:

You need to read the highway code.

Good suggestion Iceman … let us know what you find!

Philip Osborne
    Participant

@wxmviolet 9611 wrote:

The roundabout on the new link road where the turnings for Holt and Wrexham Industrial Estate are is another prime example. I have been forced many a time to keep in the outside lane onto the Industrial Estate road by drivers insisting on coming around in the left lane, then they are moaning because I am keeping them in the left hand lane because I don’t have the acceleration – YOUR PROBLEM – YOU FORCED ME INTO THIS LANE.

Do you mean this roundabout?

indestateroundabout.jpg

And you are suggesting that drivers approaching from Wrexham on the A534 and taking the Industrial Estate Road are wrong to use the left-hand lane?

I hope you have good insurance on your car!

johnhoppy
    Participant

It is little wonder that the Americans find our roundabouts confusing when we ourselves find them so at times. On a lighter note, have any of you tackled the Arc de Triomphe roundabout in Paris which has 12 exits and seems to consist of 6 unmarked lanes with no apparent right of way, If tales are to be believed as soon as you enter that roundabout you are uninsured !!

Rondetto
    Participant

Yes John, the only way to drive around there is with your windows down and horns blazing. A nightmare but great fun too.

muzza
    Participant

Found this you tube clip which shows what some of the responses are trying to say. It illustrates the way it works “generally” but you must still remember that signs or road markings dictate otherwise. At the end of the clip it shows a street view and each road has the destination marked out on the road anyway, so it is quite obvious in this example.
    As for exiting a roundabout you should exit in left lane unless 1. You intend to turn right shortly, 2. The left lane is blocked (being undertaken or queue of traffic ahead for example). Quite right about dual carriageway entrances and exits you can use either lane BUT as we drive on the left in this country unless overtaking etc, if there is no reason not to be, then we should be on the left for straight on.
    Confusing exits and lanes at a roundabout Driving Lessons #25 – YouTube

Rondetto
    Participant

Nicely found Muzza. As previously stated and hence in that clip: Generally speaking stay in the left lane unless turning right. That’s what everyone is taught while learning. Good clip that,

Darlofan
    Participant

Problem is most people going round it are heading for Tesco. So if they use right lane they’ll find themselves in lane2 as they exit and then panic as they won’t be able to get into lane1 to get across to Tesco. So they take easy option of lane1 all way round which cuts out having to worry about changing lanes. Changing lanes is a common problem on our roads which is why most hog middle lanes on motorways, its not to hold others up and be awkward it’s because if they are in the middle they don’t need to move from lane1 to let traffic on at entry slips.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News

Senedd rejects calls to introduce for academies and free schools in Wales

News

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News