How to use ASDA Roundabout

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum How to use ASDA Roundabout

• Author

Philip Osborne
    Participant

@NJones 9794 wrote:

Loads. Its another two lane exit.

I think NJones would agree that the differences of opinion we’re finding in this thread have nothing to do with years of experience or driving ability … they are more likely the difference between small town drivers and big city drivers.

Those who may have lived, worked and driven in some of the country’s (world’s?) biggest cities understand how to use multi-lane roads and roundabouts, where sheer volume of traffic forces both lanes of traffic to enter and exit a roundabout you soon learn that that’s why those particular roads and roundabouts were designed with two lanes in the first place.

If your driving experience is primarily, or even entirely, based in small towns without that volume of traffic, you have the luxury of believing that one lane can only go to one place, that all traffic must be in the same lane to use the same exit despite the obvious design of the road, and that anyone who doesn’t conform to your “one lane/one purpose” philosophy must be in the wrong.

Another example of this is giving way on the corner by the fire station and the corner by the sorting office, both of which are lanes that continue round the corner with no Give Way signs or road markings … but people just don’t know how to merge with traffic … nor do they understand that you need a much bigger gap to merge into if you are going from a standing start. If you just kept moving and matched your speed to the neighbouring lane you could comfortably merge into a much smaller gap than when you stop in the middle of the road!

zinger
    Participant

I didn’t say that you shouldn’t. Just that I can’t remember anyone on the right of me who hasn’t turned off for Asda when I have used the island.

Iceman
    Participant

@Philip Osborne 9798 wrote:

I think NJones would agree that the differences of opinion we’re finding in this thread have nothing to do with years of experience or driving ability … they are more likely the difference between small town drivers and big city drivers.

Those who may have lived, worked and driven in some of the country’s (world’s?) biggest cities understand how to use multi-lane roads and roundabouts, where sheer volume of traffic forces both lanes of traffic to enter and exit a roundabout you soon learn that that’s why those particular roads and roundabouts were designed with two lanes in the first place.

If your driving experience is primarily, or even entirely, based in small towns without that volume of traffic, you have the luxury of believing that one lane can only go to one place, that all traffic must be in the same lane to use the same exit despite the obvious design of the road, and that anyone who doesn’t conform to your “one lane/one purpose” philosophy must be in the wrong.

Another example of this is giving way on the corner by the fire station and the corner by the sorting office, both of which are lanes that continue round the corner with no Give Way signs or road markings … but people just don’t know how to merge with traffic … nor do they understand that you need a much bigger gap to merge into if you are going from a standing start. If you just kept moving and matched your speed to the neighbouring lane you could comfortably merge into a much smaller gap than when you stop in the middle of the road!

How conceited is this? Are you seriously suggesting that people who only drive in Wrexham are not as good at negotiating roundabouts as those who have driven in ‘big cities’.
    Surely roundabouts only work if everybody uses the same rules, rather than judging it and doing what they know is ‘best’, using there far superior years of driving in big cities around the World. You are absolutely right about the fire station bit though. Why people give way is beyond me. There are no give way signs and people are meant to merge….while moving.

Iceman
    Participant

@lazyjack 9779 wrote:

My reasonings for stating that left lane is OK heading for Tesco are as follows:

* If you came from the opposite direction (heading towards Chester Road) you would use the left lane as it is clearly straight on (not a left turn) – therefore it can’t be a right turn (from Chester Road) no, you would be turning left. It is a left turn.
    * Before the current roundabout was built, straight ahead would have been towards Tesco, so nothing has really changed……..is that true everytime a new road is built then.
    * What makes it appear like a right turn (passing the Asda turning) is the way the roundabout has been built slightly offset to the centre of the main road (A5152)…..maybe there was anreason for that?
    * The road either side is the A5152 so it is clearly the through road……does everybody knowmthe numhers of all the roads when they get to a roundabout?
    * When coming out of ASDA, you would naturally use the right hand lane towards Chester Road (it’s also marked on the road) making that a right turn, not straight on. This must make the Asda turning a left turn when coming from Chester Road…….that is becausenyou follow thebroad markings, just like on grosvenor road/rhosddu road roundabout. Even igasdamis amleft turn, how does that make the ndxt one straight ahead? Can’t you have two left turns off a roundabout?

I suppose we just have to accept we have different opinions.

My opinions are at the end of each point above

lazyjack
    Participant

@Iceman 9803 wrote:

My opinions are at the end of each point above

Not really much point in me re-arguing my case. We have different opinions, I think I’m correct, so do you.

I would really like to hear from a traffic police officer if anyone knows one who would care to give their opinion. Perhaps the police could ask the council to mark the road correctly so everyone knows where they stand.

zinger
    Participant

Just accept that it is another badly designed piece of road.

Iceman
    Participant

@zinger 9807 wrote:

Just accept that it is another badly designed piece of road.

Spot on there actually.
    They need to put arrows on the road.
    One other thing that would definately help with that and all the other roundabouts is if people would indicate correctly!

johnhoppy
    Participant

@Iceman 9813 wrote:

Spot on there actually.
    They need to put arrows on the road.
    One other thing that would definately help with that and all the other roundabouts is if people would indicate correctly!

I have driven coaches in some of the busiest cities in Europe, and trust me, arrows on the road don’t work if you are a stranger to the area…..unless of course you have xray eyes and can see through other vehicles in front of you. More often than not by the time you see the arrows you are committed to the lane you are in, correct or not!!

Iceman
    Participant

@johnhoppy 9988 wrote:

I have driven coaches in some of the busiest cities in Europe, and trust me, arrows on the road don’t work if you are a stranger to the area…..unless of course you have xray eyes and can see through other vehicles in front of you. More often than not by the time you see the arrows you are committed to the lane you are in, correct or not!!

Perhaps you should leave a bit more of a gap between you and the vehicle in front in that case.

johnhoppy
    Participant

@Iceman 10076 wrote:

Perhaps you should leave a bit more of a gap between you and the vehicle in front in that case.

Arrows may or may not work depending on the density of the traffic. I can assure you that I am not one to drive close to the vehicle in front of me, but in high density traffic arrows do not work

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News

Senedd rejects calls to introduce for academies and free schools in Wales

News

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Andy Dunbobbin – Labour and Co-operative Party candidate

News