How to use ASDA Roundabout

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum How to use ASDA Roundabout

• Author

Philip Osborne
    Participant

@Iceman 9678 wrote:

The reason you should use the left hand lane when going down Grosvenor road and wanting to take grove road is because there are great big arrows on the road saying that you can! There aren’t any on the ASDA roundabout

Apart from the road sign which clearly indicates which exit should be considered the “straight on” route:

asdasign.jpg

I’m not suggesting that everyone HAS to drive my way … if you want to take this roundabout in the right lane, you are perfectly entitled to, there are two lanes entering and exiting this dual carriageway roundabout.

BUT … I’m equally entitled to use the left-hand lane as indicated by the road sign, and by simple logic!

Philip Osborne
    Participant

@Iceman 9680 wrote:

How would you explain a roundabout with three exits, all of which were dual carriageways then?

If all were dual carriageways, then they have equal priority, and so you would consider the first one to be left and use the left lane, the centre one to be straight on and use either lane, the right one is right and you use the right lane.

If there were four exits where the first two were nothing more than access roads, the third one was a dual carriageway, and the fourth one was also nothing more than an access road … well … I guess the ASDA car park takes obvious priority in that one doesn’t it?!

Philip Osborne
    Participant

@Iceman 9679 wrote:

I found the 12 o clock rule in one of the appendices

You mean the same appendix that says:

While this appendix provides general advice, other factors such as signs, road markings and the position and type of other vehicles can influence the choice of lane.

So as I said … the 12 o’clock rule is a simplified generalisation that isn’t written in stone and is subject to the prevailing conditions of the specific roundabout in question. The phrase “such as” means “including, but not only” … so where a whacking great big dual carriageway obviously crosses a roundabout where the only other exits are nothing more than access roads for car parks, you shouldn’t need big white arrows painted on the road to tell you which one is classed as the “straight on” route and is therefore accessible from both lanes!

Philip Osborne
    Participant

@Philip Osborne 9724 wrote:

If all were dual carriageways, then they have equal priority, and so you would consider the first one to be left and use the left lane, the centre one to be straight on and use either lane, the right one is right and you use the right lane.

If there were four exits where the first two were nothing more than access roads, the third one was a dual carriageway, and the fourth one was also nothing more than an access road … well … I guess the ASDA car park takes obvious priority in that one doesn’t it?!

I made the assumption here that you meant three exits not including the one that you were approaching the roundabout from … if you meant three exits total, giving you only a choice of two as you approach, then it’s a simple left lane for left, right lane for right (and U-turn).

Iceman
    Participant

@Philip Osborne 9723 wrote:

Apart from the road sign which clearly indicates which exit should be considered the “straight on” route:

asdasign.jpg

I’m not suggesting that everyone HAS to drive my way … if you want to take this roundabout in the right lane, you are perfectly entitled to, there are two lanes entering and exiting this dual carriageway roundabout.

BUT … I’m equally entitled to use the left-hand lane as indicated by the road sign, and by simple logic!

So i suppose that the road simply comes to an abrupt halt if you try to go all the way around, just like on the sign?

Iceman
    Participant

@Philip Osborne 9726 wrote:

I made the assumption here that you meant three exits not including the one that you were approaching the roundabout from … if you meant three exits total, giving you only a choice of two as you approach, then it’s a simple left lane for left, right lane for right (and U-turn).

I get the impression that you have made a lot of assumptions here and your interpretation of the rules is flawed. No offence, but it sounds like you are making this up as you go along.

Iceman
    Participant

@Philip Osborne 9723 wrote:

asdasign.jpg

You are right, the logic is a bit simplistic here. How are people exiting asda supposed to read this sign? They will just see people coming round the roundabout in the left hand lane, not indicating and turning right when they should be going straight on. Crash!

lazyjack
    Participant

My reasonings for stating that left lane is OK heading for Tesco are as follows:

* If you came from the opposite direction (heading towards Chester Road) you would use the left lane as it is clearly straight on (not a left turn) – therefore it can’t be a right turn (from Chester Road)
    * Before the current roundabout was built, straight ahead would have been towards Tesco, so nothing has really changed
    * What makes it appear like a right turn (passing the Asda turning) is the way the roundabout has been built slightly offset to the centre of the main road (A5152)
    * The road either side is the A5152 so it is clearly the through road
    * When coming out of ASDA, you would naturally use the right hand lane towards Chester Road (it’s also marked on the road) making that a right turn, not straight on. This must make the Asda turning a left turn when coming from Chester Road

I suppose we just have to accept we have different opinions.

zinger
    Participant

How many vehicles do you see in the right hand lane coming from Tesco direction to the roundabout, heading towards Chester Road where they want to turn right towards Chester? I personally don’t recall seeing any. The right hand lane is for Asda.

NJones
    Participant

@zinger 9791 wrote:

How many vehicles do you see in the right hand lane coming from Tesco direction to the roundabout, heading towards Chester Road where they want to turn right towards Chester? I personally don’t recall seeing any. The right hand lane is for Asda.

Loads. Its another two lane exit.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Relationship reset between First Minister and Wrexham Council Leader

News

“Parking restrictions apply on evenings and weekends too” as police set to enforce rules today

News

New £30k ‘Wrexham City’ signage rolled out

News

Concerns raised over access to support for children under new ALN system in Wales

News

New ‘National Forest’ site confirmed for Chirk Castle

News

Chapter Court ‘supporting local artists and grassroots music’ with new large undercover seating area

News