Shops closing

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Shops closing

• Author

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 4261 wrote:

Have just read in the article on here that Thomas Cook and Dreams might be the next to go. There will be little left on Central Retail Park. What I don’t understand is why build three new retail units next to the existing retail park when it’s almost empty. Why not utilise what is already there? Surely someone on the Council has a bit of common sense?

They also need to fill the many empty shops in the town centre before they even think about building more empty shells out of town..

MadMan
    Participant

Which shop is earmarked for closure the Co-operative or the Thomas Cook branded store? (I think they merged the retail outlets last year)

wrexview
    Participant

The one in Hope Street , just up from the old M & S store.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I know it’s not technically a shop but Tetra Pak is the latest to leave Wrexham. I hope the work force are able to move to the new premises in Chester.

wxm
    Participant

1. What is the occupancy today of town centre non-domestic rateable premises; and what was the number on the same date last year, and the previous year?

5. What should we do in Wrexham County to create more jobs for people, better earnings for people, and instead of spending tax payers money, bring in industry to create jobs?

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

I see Jessops are starting to re-open some stores (re branded) in London’s Oxford Street, Birmingham, Manchester, Aberdeen, St Albans and High Wycombe.

Around 30 more stores will open at the rate of one per day throughout April creating 500 jobs.

It would be nice if Wrexham was one of them..

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@wxm 4590 wrote:

1. What is the occupancy today of town centre non-domestic rateable premises; and what was the number on the same date last year, and the previous year?

5. What should we do in Wrexham County to create more jobs for people, better earnings for people, and instead of spending tax payers money, bring in industry to create jobs?

1. ask the council.

2. join together and create local businesses & co-ops. Wage deflation should be expected it probably needs to go down another 10% to 20% to compete with other countries. I think the biggest problem for wrexham’s future is how much it now depends on the public sector whether the council, wag, uk government or education.

The locals need to start buying from local businesses rather than tesco, whetherspoons or qd stores.

Embrace the immigrants as these are the most likely to become entrepreneurs who start local businesses.

MadMan
    Participant

I like supporting local businesses regardless of where the owners originate from whether it is takeaways such as Chand (Gresford), Anise, George’s Plaice (Coedpoeth), The Gourmet Grills, La Baguette and Golden Harvest (Bradley). Shops such as the pharmacy Coedpoeth ltd, Am&pm and reps ‘n’ sets. Various local cafe’s including Priory Street Cafe. Butchers such as Williams & Son and Hughes butchers in the butchers market. MOT at a local garage rather than Halfords or National. It is much better going to independent businesses, as the service and quality is superior.

I like to cut down on shopping at the major supermarkets as much as possible.

The point of listing a number of places is to show that there are a number of different types of independent businesses around, while highlighting that the quality is better, in many cases the price is matched or cheaper and the service is better.

What made me laugh was that people went all the way to London for the Wrexham game to meet up at Wetherspoons afterwards, that doesn’t appeal to me at all, you may as well be at Wetherspoons back home.

I wish there was no such thing as wage deflation, but realistically you are right. However, the disparity between the rich and the rest of the population would be of much concern. I am not one of those people who will criticise people just because they earn a significant amount of money, it all depends on whether they have done a good job or not (regarding bonuses). I believe the country should prosper not a few individuals and at the same time ensuring that those job creators are not punished with steep taxes, but by no means should they be given tax cuts.

Personally i cannot see Wrexham reducing its reliance on the public sector while the manufacturing base is still there the obvious technological advancement over the years has reduced the need for workers. There needs to be more modern developments on the Wrexham Industrial estate. I was glad to see that the developers of the proposed Majestic Winehouse were hinting at building new properties on the estate according the Wrexham Leader. The Leader – News from Wrexham & Flintshire – Wine store and café plan for site of new Wrexham hotel I do wonder when the next phase of the technology park will get built it would be interesting to see what Wrexham can attract they have done well over the years with big and small businesses locating in various villages and on the Wrexham Industrial Estate.

You are right about creating businesses i think the idea of pushing people to work together and create a business is fantastic. It would be great if there shift in the mood of the country towards setting up a business.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

Labour’s proposals…

BBC News – Ed Miliband promises councils powers to ban payday lenders

Not rearranging the furniture as the titanic sinks, just deciding which pieces of furniture should go to the tip when its floating above you. All surface no feeling.

MadMan
    Participant

Poundstretcher is opening in the town again i imagine it will be where Comet use to be considering it has been everywhere else.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Andy Dunbobbin – Labour and Co-operative Party candidate

News

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News