3G coverage

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum 3G coverage

• Author

Charlotte_will_
    Participant

It’s interesting how we’re all getting different responses… Yesterday a very nice chap called Bryan told me that there is indeed a fault. It relates to two masts connected by copper piping, which they think has been damaged. The problem is, they don’t know where this piping is! Which means they also can’t say when it will be fixed. I’ve had my bill cut to half price for the duration of my contract, but the trouble I’m having is that I’m buying a house, so have tons of emails coming through during the day – which I can’t pick up until I get home after work ��

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

@Charlotte_will_ 14033 wrote:

It’s interesting how we’re all getting different responses… Yesterday a very nice chap called Bryan told me that there is indeed a fault. It relates to two masts connected by copper piping, which they think has been damaged. The problem is, they don’t know where this piping is! Which means they also can’t say when it will be fixed. I’ve had my bill cut to half price for the duration of my contract, but the trouble I’m having is that I’m buying a house, so have tons of emails coming through during the day – which I can’t pick up until I get home after work ��

Can’t see how they don’t know where the “copper piping” is. It’s like Scottish power saying they don’t know where the power cables are….

1gavinr
    Participant

I’ve just had the Service update phone call that I was promised when I logged my complaint last month. The representative at 3 said that the fault they had with their mast has been fixed and I should be able to use the network without any fault but when he made a few checks to my signal he saw that I still had the same problem that I reported last month. He couldn’t explain why I wasn’t getting a full signal but told me I could keep the home signal box so that I can at least get a decent signal at home. He said that the faults and rectification that the engineer made is on my file so I will be trying to get a copy of that from the 3 store as soon as I can.

Seeing as the network providers can’t fix the problem themselves I do agree that this issue needs to be taken further so they are forced into doing something productive in the area.

If they can’t fulfil their own contract agreements then they should provide the service for free until they can.

DR
    Participant

02 have been having issues the past few days as well. I’ve been receiving texts hours after they were sent and as usual, the town centre is a 3G blackspot!

rockyrobins
    Participant

@Rob 14023 wrote:

Not entirely sure how true but there was talk of the Police Station tower having a mobile mast and it being decommissioned.

Could be worth tall buildings in town looking at offering space – rents are apparently several thousand pounds a year for the sites.

The 3g town centre masts are located in the following locations
    O2- Bt exchange Grovesnor road
    Vodafone- near Asdas on Powell road and another on Crispin Lane
    Orange- near swimming baths
    T-mobile- on top of Roxborough House, Hill Street
    Three – on top of Roxborough House, Hill Street

There are other masts further out of town, my view is that EE have either decommissioned one of the masts or there is a fault which they cannot be arsed fixing?

justjojo2011
    Participant

If you read back through posts, I had an issue with EE, from January of this year and finally got my contract cancelled in May after a LONG battle with them being fobbed off, being sent new sim cards, and all their usual bumph. My signal would show as ok, but I would have to move around just to keep it going so I could hold a conversation. My 3G was non existant and I found myself having to turn my Iphone off and on again 4 or 5 times a day just to be able to load Facebook or Twitter. I was even told that this was a fault with my phone and told to take it to my nearest Apple store, which is in Liverpool. I contacted Apple twice via their live help and they were very helpful and determined there was NOTHING wrong with my phone and it was indeed the network. In May they gave in and admitted that the problem wasn’t going to improve and agreed to cancel my contract and gave my a PAC code (which they later charged me for using).

I moved my contract to O2, after checking everything out, it seemed they may well be the best bet. They had a high demand, but assured me that the issue would be fixed within a week. So I took out my contract. This time, I had NO SIGNAL AT ALL in my home and had to run up a phone bill using my landline if I wanted to speak to anyone. O2’s answer was, we’re aware, we’re working on it, but no, we don’t know when it will be fixed. But please Try our Tu Go app on your phone as this will let you make calls and received texts via your Wifi. Great, but I had a Blackberry phone and it wasn’t available for it.

After 2 months I got fed up and complained. O2 agreed to cancel my contract on the condition I sent thephone back to them. Which I did.

I am now on Vodafone and I have a brilliant signal

Steve
    Participant

As said above (and a few times through the thread) its not just EE. O2 are rubbish also, never mind 4G or 3G, in my hose in Rhostyllen I struggle to get an O2/GiffGaff Signal for calls / text!

seaneb
    Participant

Don’t know if anybody has seen the wrexham.com home page?

That is as a direct result of this thread and email I sent (below along with their response) to wrexham.com asking them to help us.

So now that we know that we are now being heard by people with some influence lets keep up the pressure.

Let’s see what Ian Lucas can do for his constituents!!!!!

Hi ####

Pressure has been hopefully successful – Ian Lucas has had a word with EE in London , Local MP Steps In To Sort Wrexham’s EE 3G Problems | Wrexham.com .

We passed over info that we had and relevant links – so hopefully helped in a small way.

We are trying to get to the bottom of base stations and which ones are active / turned off and why so sadly have a feeling it will rumble on.

Cheers

###

Wrexham.com – your site for wrexham & the surrounding area!
    Spot something going on in or around the town? Email [email protected] or tweet us @wrexham !

Wrexham Dotcom Ltd
    The Foundry
    15 Yorke St
    Wrexham
    LL13 8LW

01978 288 288

On 17 July 2014 19:07, #### ########## wrote:
    Hi.
    There is a thread in the Wrexham.com forums that you’ve probably noticed which I started entitled “3G coverage”.

Several people (including myself) have tried to encourage yourselves to help us to bring it to Wrexham council’s attention so that they might help us fight our ongoing battle with mobile phone providers.

Could you do that, or even help us to bring a class action against the companies please?

I feel that as individuals we are too small to be taken seriously, but if wrexham.com were to help us out then we might be heard and we might achieve some results.

Maybe one of the solicitor firms that sponsor the site could act on our behalf?

Perhaps arranging for TV coverage to publicise our plight?

Surely there must be something you can do to help us?

Regards,

dagg
    Participant

My 3G has been OK, but my O2 phone coverage has been poor sometimes no signal at all. It might be my new phone (HTC m8 3 months old) I didn’t have the same problem with my Samsung 3, it just might be a coincidence. :(

Philip Osborne
    Participant

I think there are two different problems being discussed in this one thread and some are getting confused:

1. Inability to connect despite full signal. The problem being referred to in the original post is specific to the town centre area. In that area many users of all networks are finding that they have full signal, including the 3G or H+ symbol, but when they actually try to use their phone or access the internet it just won’t work. Most of the comments on here relate to EE/Orange, but I’ve heard people on O2 report the same thing. I’m on 3 who piggy-back on EE/Orange for their 2G network but use their own 3G network and I have experienced the same problem, so perhaps there is more network-sharing going on than we realise if we are all having the same problem despite being on different networks.

2. General poor coverage. There are some areas of Wrexham that have general poor coverage anyway, areas where you can’t get a signal at all or only get a very poor signal. These areas can differ from network to network, some areas that have good coverage on one network have poor coverage on another.

The reason I think it’s important to separate the two issues is that the second one is actually a collection of lots of separate little issues … eg. I have poor coverage in Rhos on 3, that’s a separate issue to someone having poor coverage in Llay on O2, which is a separate issue to someone having poor coverage in Acton on EE. Also a lack of coverage is not necessarily a breach of contract. All networks show maps of their coverage, if you fall outside of that area then it’s your choice whether you sign up or not, and if you sign up and realise you have no signal you are allowed to cancel your contract within a reasonable period of time.

On the other hand, the first issue seems to be a single major issue that is affecting ALL networks for ALL users. It also appears to be a failure to deliver what is advertised and is therefore a breach of contract by ALL the major networks. This specific issue therefore should be the subject of some kind of urgent investigation and possible class-action against the companies who are failing to provide an adequate advertised service for an entire population in the centre of a busy town.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News