Shops closing

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Shops closing

• Author

thewayneinspain
    Participant

Not one for any of the political parties, but it must be pointed out that the manufacturing sector is doing just fine and has done since 1945. It’s continued to grow but technology has meant they it doesn’t need as many workers… which is what the unions and labour bang on about, wrongly in my opinion as it lessens their credibility on industry. Which is a shame because the labour party were very very slightly less wrong about the austerity cuts.

Uk manufacturing has also gone more high value end, because it can’t compete with the lower wages/labour intensive products that china, india and some of the eastern european countries like czech republic can offer. But manufacturing still accounts for 80% plus of the exports the uk sells.

Even though i would vote for the occupy movement if i could, after seeing what happened during the start of the indignados here and how it was portrayed in the british & european media, I became convinced revolution was something that no european political class, its police force or its people could stomach. And I took part in that movement two years ago and believed it was going to happen.

That why i believe you can only change things slowly or as they say here: “poco a poco – little by little”

Alunh
    Participant

@Sam 3813 wrote:

A revolution – (from the Latin revolutio, “a turn around”) is a fundamental change in power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time. Aristotle described two types of political revolution:

Complete change from one constitution to another
    Modification of an existing constitution.
    Revolutions have occurred through human history and vary widely in terms of methods, duration, and motivating ideology. Their results include major changes in culture, economy, and socio-political institutions.

courtesy of Wikipedia.

Who mentioned the use of violence ?

I’m amazed by your remarks regarding ‘so many opportunities’.

Why is youth unemployment through the roof then according to the UK media ?

In your role, what do you tell the youth who wants to make something ? Manufacturing, using their hands to create something.
    Do you tell tell them that manufacturing was so Yesterday, IT & call centers are the future !
    Tell that to yesterdays third world country’s, they are nowadays Pioneering everything………Why ? Because we as a nation fund far to many do gooders telling use what’s right for the country, when in reality, they know squat diddly, theoretical know it all’s !

Regarding your comment about ” Thatcher closed the coalmines “. That’s a bit narrow minded considering that your tarring a lot of people with the same brush.

I hope that tomorrow in your ‘role’ you don’t destroy someones dreams of entering what’s left of UK manufacturing, and steer them into a career of the fascinating world of call center cold calling or the dog eat dog of website shopping carts.

Finally, please , for the sake of tomorrow’s youth, before you go to work, take a big big sniff of Kenco’s finest blend. Google it !

You’re right about some of this. Youth Unemployment is very high. My job is not to talk Manufacturing or Service Industry to anyone. The main building block is to preach positivity to youngsters. The point that you make about Thatcher is pretty meaningless. The problem that youngsters have is that elements of the media harp on about Thatcher and Manufacturing/Mining as if one simple factor closed British Industry. If she had been PM when Iron declined in Merthyr Tydfil, I’m sure that she not the rise of Steel would have taken the blame. Once youngsters get the idea that there are a large range of careers out there for them and huge possibilities of opening a business, they can move forward. No coffee to smell. the scheme is working and Wales is now slowly turning a corner on SME development.

Besides, none of this is pertinent to the point. Thewayneinspain was merely asking what things could be done within the community to get things moving.

Sam
    Participant

Whilst I agree with the positivity aspect of youth coaching, how do you convince the youth of today that it’s not right to sit at home and live on the state handouts ? Not all, granted, but quite a few live in families of 2nd, 3rd generation of this career welfare state.

Regarding Thatcher again, it’s not the media, it’s the parental guidance that keep this myth alive!

Alunh
    Participant

@Sam 3837 wrote:

Whilst I agree with the positivity aspect of youth coaching, how do you convince the youth of today that it’s not right to sit at home and live on the state handouts ? Not all, granted, but quite a few live in families of 2nd, 3rd generation of this career welfare state.

Regarding Thatcher again, it’s not the media, it’s the parental guidance that keep this myth alive!

I don’t think anyone has the answer to this and it takes a lot of people to do the same thing. I can only explain what I have done and how and show the youngsters the stories of thousands of others who have done similar, explaining the pros and cons. I’ve been through a bankruptcy and seen the bad times and the good. Youngsters never cease to surprise me with their innate enthusiasm if you are passionate about something. I am (and so are all the people who do similar to me, with me).

As to the benefits thing, that is a carrot and stick thing.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

re: 3rd generation of welfare state
    Remember reading a study on children who fathers worked at a fiat factory.
    It read that they just accepted money for everything was the responsibility of Fiat not work or family members.

That could mean that it becomes habitual to sherk the responsibility of earnings themselves and pacifically accept that it’s the government job (or fiat!) to give them cash… it’s a culture of given norms so to speak.

I see angryShopper has yet to offer what actions he is going to do to make wrexham better. It’s always easier to complain rather than to do something.

Kylie
    Participant

I’m too young to remember what Wrexham was like before there were lots of big chain stores, but since these stores are closing everywhere across the country, I suspect that high streets are similar in a lot of towns and cities that suffer from a lack of tourist pull. I live in Nottingham, and although that is a city with two large universities and a fair amount of tourism, it is the same.

I like to think that there will be a return to how the high street looked before there were Jessops and HMV and Peacocks chains. When it was easier for small businesses (that later became the chains) to start up, I bet they used to make up a good portion of shops in towns. I have to say, when I was a child and would visit Wrexham, I remember it being more about the markets and independent businesses – perhaps the changing needs and wants of the general consumer will see a return to this kind of trading.

People might be more likely to shop online nowadays and I am certainly no exception but there are some things you will always want to go shopping for. Reading in the news today, the government have mentioned the possibility of taking interest rates into negative figures in an attempt to get banks to lend more, hopefully that will see more businesses getting start up loans and more new shops moving into empty lots everywhere.

Optimism!

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Fat Cats is the latest casualty. It makes me wonder who is going next.

Alunh
    Participant

Suspect you’re right Kylie. There is real logic here.

Kylie
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 4034 wrote:

Fat Cats is the latest casualty. It makes me wonder who is going next.

Fat Cat was always a strange choice of bar for a working class town. Location, prices… I was surprised by its arrival in the bus station! Sad to hear about it closing nonetheless, and certainly we could do without more redundancies.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

fat cats was likely to go as it seemed their business model was based on food and ‘high end’ drinks eg. cocktails and sadly it’s the now the wrong side of town to attract that sort of people.

However, some friends started boycotting it after the manager wouldn’t let the chef have a day off for wanting to see wrexham play. Reputation counts for everything and events like that lessen a reputation.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

A view from Clwyd South’s Member of the Senedd

News

Calls to improve Wales’ audiology care as patients face “substantial delays”

News

Music therapist’s dementia project shortlisted for arts award 2024

News

Unleash your inner artist at Alyn Waters crafting workshops!

News

Childline sees five per cent rise in counselling sessions for emotional abuse

News

North Wales farmers donate thousands to Wales Air Ambulance charity

News