Q&A Session With Town Centre Inspector

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Q&A Session With Town Centre Inspector

• Author

DR
    Participant

@zagibluecat 13530 wrote:

Good afternoon,
    After reading the minutes of the Town forum, I would like to ask the inspector as to what strategies for officer deployment within the town are in place ( How many on a typical day – Response ) and to what level PCSO’s are being utilised to provide additional services that a normal serving police officer should undertake.

On a 24/7 basis we have 5 rotas of 9 officers to respond to incidents as they occur. Additionally we have community beat managers whose task it is to deal with local issues and come up with strategies to reduce crime and improve quality of life for locals. For the town centre we currently have 2 such officers. Additionally we have 7 PCSOs with town centre responsibility their duty is mainly high visibility foot patrol to provide community reassurance and engagement, although some are talented enough to record statements from (for example) shops who have suffered a shoplifting.

DR
    Participant

@zagibluecat 13532 wrote:

Hi

How often do you go out “on the beat” with your officers and what improvements have been made both by you and them?

I walked here today in uniform! I love being out and about although as I am pretty fully engaged during the day most of my patrol is during the nighttime economy. I introduced Operation Lex2 last year to reduce alcohol fuelled anti social behaviour and violent crime in the town centre and at that time was regularly on foot in the town. As part of this operation I deployed a large number of special constables as well. I am pleased that we recorded the lowest number of incidents on “Festive Friday” despite the town being packed.
    My role also involves working closely with our partners, particularly community safety partners as we work together to develop strategies to respond to issues as they emerge.

DR
    Participant

Mike asked us on Twitter: Does he actually reply @wrexham ? I was burgled about 3 years ago, heard nothing off the police aparty from a satisfation call – told them..

Rob
    Participant

One final one that came in via email from Jo:

When will anti social behavior be taken more seriously. Every evening at the moment I hear teens up and down the street arguing and shouting and swearing. Youngsters on motorbikes up and down the street. People feeling intimidated when they go to the shop. My eldest son doesn’t like going out due to this and I also have youngsters who have to listen to their foul mouths.

DR
    Participant

@Rob 13533 wrote:

I am going to paste up some questions that have come in via email, Facebook and twitter starting with:

In June’s Town Centre Forum meeting, street drinking in Yorke Street was raised. What is the Council’s / Police’s procedure on street drinking?

Wrexham town centre is an alcohol control zone which allows us to seize alcohol from persons who are using alcohol then behaving in an anti social manner. There are no areas in the town centre where the consumption of alcohol is forbidden, the key is that people must not behave in an anti social manner whilst doing so.
    We have been slow to publicise seizures of alcohol (which is commonplace) and I will do so in future.

DR
    Participant

@Rob 13534 wrote:

With the announcement last week that Chester are back in the Conference league, has any thought been given to the policing of matches and would these again be Bubble Matches?
    Along with this, how have you found the response to the previous two Bubble Match fixtures?

Overwhelmingly the 2 “Bubble” matches were proved to be a success in terms of reducing violence and anti social behaviour from the general public. The planning of the forthcoming fixtures with Chester will begin shortly when the dates of the fixtures are known.

DR
    Participant

@Rob 13535 wrote:

Has there been an increase in the number of thefts from cars in town?

Yes – in the last 3 weeks in particuular. In almost all cases people have left items on display in cars – IPads/Sat Nav devices and even large amounts of cash! We target known offenders and have seen a downturn recently but there is still much more improvement to be made.
    When on patrol and officers see items on display we send a communication to the registered keeper by way of crime prevention advice.
    Please please please take goods with you or lock away securely – that is the key to prevention.

DR
    Participant

@Rob 13537 wrote:

There seems to be lots of plants and hanging baskets being nicked – what is going on?

Yes and I tweeted on this yesterday. We always see a rise in thefts of garden items (including plants) in the summertime but this year the increase has been larger than usual. 2 police operations are in place to address this issue, and these operations are complimented by a community safety and crime prevention campaign. PCSOs are delivering ties to secure things like hanging baskets to their frames but I really need the help of the public here. If you are offered garden furniture please let us know.

DR
    Participant

@Rob 13538 wrote:

With the application submitted to demolish Wrexham Police Station, is there any indication as to where the new town centre ‘station’ will be based? And what are the reasons for its demolition?

The existing station was built in 1974 with a design life of 35-40 years and so the building is now at end of life. A new station will be built in the town centre, a number of possible locations are currently under consideration.

DR
    Participant

@Rob 13539 wrote:

Is the police drug dog ‘Molly’ still in force?

Yes – Molly is safe and well and will shortly be reappearring in the town centre at night looking for naughty people using drugs.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Major council tax shake-up pushed back to after next Senedd election

News

Police and crime commissioner warns of deadly new street drug in North Wales

News

Women speak out on failings in gynaecological cancer services in Wales

News

Wrexham Police FC triumph in charity match for Andy’s Man Club

News

Friday: Wrexham Night Market to bring ‘exciting blend of street food and music’ to city centre

News

Record 10,524 emergency food parcels provided by food banks in Wrexham over past 12 months

News