Plans for 350 new homes in LLay !!!!!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Plans for 350 new homes in LLay !!!!!

• Author

BenjaminM
    Participant

Totally unadulterated nimbyism.
    I can’t completely make out whether the objection stems from jealousy or pure bloody mindedness.
    Let’s face it, Llay, during my 62 years on this earth has never been top of the most sought after locations for taking up residence in.
    As for a strain on local services, I am of the opinion that this has been produced out of the hat to add dubious credence to quite frankly, a lacklustre reason for declining planning permission, if and when sought.
    Regarding the scurrilous accusations levelled against the landowner, good luck to him! If he is in a position to make a few bob from the sale, so be it.
    I think that if objections are to be raised, a little more head scratching is needed before formulating your plan of attack.

Metalhead
    Participant

Benjamin, it may shock you to find out that not every bit of resistance shown to developments around these parts is due to ‘nimbyism’. I would imagine there are a fair few issues which would need to be addressed before embarking on building an estate of this size, sufficient school placings, road access (not at least for the amount of heavy traffic it will create during the construction process), accessibility to local bus routes, capacity to take extra patients at local doctors etc. as well as one thing occasionally overlooked when planning new residential developments…..sewage. Seriously 350+ houses each with an average of say 3/4 occupants is going to produce a serious amount of doo doo! I don’t live in Llay so this proposed development won’t effect me one way or the other but I can see why those it will would be concerned. If all the relevant infrastructure is put in place before any building commences then that’s a different argument, somehow I doubt that’s the case at this moment TBH.

One thing I do reckon is that Dave Owen Handyman is now unlikely to get much work from it! :D

BenjaminM
    Participant

As evidenced on this forum, on numerous occasions, when a development of any size or type is proposed there is concerted local opposition. Take for examples, the prison, power station chicken farm and even the student flats on Brook St.
    A number of years ago, the Abenbury Fields development (of comparable size to the proposal), Ruthin Rd and Mold Rd estates were created, without detrimental affect to established properties or indeed to local residents or services.
    Progress has the ability to integrate with existing provisions.
    Agreed that relevant infrastructure is a requisite, but for a development of this size, a major contractor will be involved and there is no way that they would approach the project half cocked. And I also believe that the project would effectively be overseen by Planning and Building Control Departments.
    In summary, there seems to be no logical reason for opposition other than nimbyism.

Born Acorn
    Participant

I would say that the Abenbury Fields development didn’t get so much backlash because it was partially on the old brickworks site, therefore somewhat brownfield.

But, there were few issues – the new owners pay their taxes which go toward that sort of thing.

Captain C
    Participant

BenjaminM, I don’t know what planet you live on but it’s not the same one as the rest of us. This proposed estate would have a major effect on Llay and surrounding areas, doctors, schools, roads, drainage would all be effected and it will reduce the asking prices of the houses in the area.
    The site on Ruthin road causes flooding onto the main road and if you drive past you will notice the sandbags along side the road.
    As for Abenbury that replaced the old Abenbury Brickworks and was not green belt land.

If you have faith in Wrexham Council you must know something I don’t because I have no faith at all.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Firstly, I do not come a different planet, but I do live in the real world.
    Captain C, if you had read my post correctly, I was quite specific when I stated that an infrastructure was necessary for such a development and that jointly, the Planning Authority and Developer would agree on formal requirements.
    As for your assertion that there would be a detrimental affect on house prices in the area, where did you pull that one up from? Any evidence of that?
    Although you refer to Abenbury being built on a brownfield site, you omit to mention that the other two I cited were both greenfield sites before development.
    Wrexham County is lacking investment and the shortage of a skilled workforce is apparent. Surely then, a development that is likely to attract both is a positive step in the right direction.
    Wrexham has suffered for far too long from an entrenched attitude to change and anything that deviates from the status quo is treated as if it is the works of the Anti Christ.

zinger
    Participant

Do the Ruthin Road & Mold Road sites impact on village life? Just asking.

Captain C
    Participant

The Ruthin Road sites are well away from any villages and the Mold Road site replace a factory that was there. The Gresford road one would be opposite residential areas and would also encroach on the Croes Howell Hamlet.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Captain C, two things,

1, ‘The Croes Howell Hamlet ‘??, is it based on one of Bill’s novels? or is it a local cigar?
    and
    3, What happened to 2,
    and
    2, oh there it is! More seriously Captain C, are you a real Captain?? & any relation to Mel?

Pinky02
    Participant

If I remember rightly, the housing development on the old Brymbo steelworks was to include shops, offices, a school and a link road. Have any of those things materialised other than the houses?
    The developers can promise you the world, but whether they actually keep their promise is another matter, and it seems the planning department at Wrexham council can do nothing about it.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

How Bifold Doors Can Transform Your Living Space

News

Explore bellringing and enjoy amazing views of Wrexham with St Giles tower climb

News

Preserve the value of your BBQ with top-quality covers

News

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Ann Griffith Plaid Cymru candidate

News

Financing a personal vehicle – all of the options explained

News

Balloon spectacular and live acts added to epic line-up at summer festival

News