Plans for 350 new homes in LLay !!!!!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Plans for 350 new homes in LLay !!!!!

• Author

Chris
    Participant

Whilst I dont approve of this development fact will need to be separated from opinion. The whole of Wrexham is built over coalmines without any issues re house insurance.

These types of arguments will devalue the protest group if not based on fact.

CVA01
    Participant

1. Wrexham has a shortage of housing based on the way Welsh government require it to be measured in planning policy. FACT.

2. The Council can, and do, require contributions towards additional school places, road junctions, open space and affordable homes. FACT.

3. The Council and a planning inspector at appeal are not obliged to refuse permission even if there are huge numbers of objection. FACT.

4. Over the next few years lots of houses will be built on greenfield sites in Wrexham. FACT.

Saxon1
    Participant

So what are to do go away and give up, not a chance.
    If local people don’t have a voice what is the point of a democratic society.

ddraig
    Participant

I agree with Chris, in that the wide array of excuses coming forward will not help a protest group to stop such a development – it makes it sound like residents are being NIMBY.

Arguing that the Maelor will not cope is not an excuse, Wrexham needs houses, and successful towns also need to welcome and encourage growth. The problem at the Maelor that exists at the moment is a lack of funding from the health board.

The fact that schools or doctors surgeries will not be able to cope is another issue that is un-connected. These facilities are (or should) be provided based on need, so the doctors will expand – and schools and local education boards will (and do) have to plan.

I also agree that if I lived opposite the development site I would be against the proposals for my own personal reasons. That said, ultimately these decisions do need to be based on fact and balanced between the good of the country/region/local area. Wrexham does need more houses, the fact the proposed new UDP was thrown out is based on this fact, and the whole county needs to accept that we will need to give away some land to housing.

My view, if I am honest (and I don’t live in Llay) is that this is the wrong development in the wrong location. But such locations need to be secured for large housing developments (most likely adjacent to major roads in and around Wrexham). The Rhosrobin development would surely have been the ideal location for such a development, and when the new UDP (LDP or whatever it is called) is put together difficult decisions need to be made about these locations. The ‘Green Barrier’ and ‘Settlement’ limits defined in the previous UDP need to be scrapped and fresh ideas brought to how the area might look in the next few decades and allow development of the right areas based on objective facts.

Saxon1
    Participant

Whilst I agree with some of what you say, we are going to be classed as NIMBY’s whatever we argue. Surely planners have to look at the bigger picture, Schools, local GP surgery and hospitals have to be taken into account wherever houses are built. If the health authority is already underfunded then do we suppose they will suddenly produce more money out of the hat, I don’t think so ! In the end the houses will get built, the developer will walk away, and the problems that we are all discussing now will still be there and there will still be nobody to turn to when it all goes belly up.

Fred
    Participant

@Chris 16374 wrote:

Whilst I dont approve of this development fact will need to be separated from opinion. The whole of Wrexham is built over coalmines without any issues re house insurance.

These types of arguments will devaluealue the protest group if not based on fact.

Apologies, didn’t make myself clear. It’s due the issue that land is sinking and floods, a lot.

Sorry if I sound that it is not based on facts, but if you can help our community, then advice is greatly welcomed. The turn out last night itself spoke volumes, it doesn’t matter where you live in Llay, we are all concerned.

CVA01
    Participant

So if an application for this site fails will you (those who live in Llay) be writing objection letters when a housing development is proposed in, say, Rossett or Gresford or on the outskirts of Wrexham? Because if it is refused the Council will still have a shortage of land for development. If it isnt here it will be somewhere else. No doubt the people who live somewhere else will consider the land opposite them unsuitable for a long list of reasons.

lazyjack
    Participant

@CVA01 16380 wrote:

So if an application for this site fails will you (those who live in Llay) be writing objection letters when a housing development is proposed in, say, Rossett or Gresford or on the outskirts of Wrexham? Because if it is refused the Council will still have a shortage of land for development. If it isnt here it will be somewhere else. No doubt the people who live somewhere else will consider the land opposite them unsuitable for a long list of reasons.

When and where was the last housing estate of this scale built in Wrexham? Genuine question as I don’t know the answer for sure. Maybe Brymbo? Was it built on green farming land? No. Why, because there are more appropriate locations for something of this size.

We keep hearing how Wrexham needs more housing. At what point does this end though? Do we just keep building and building until we eventually have too many?

Pinky02
    Participant

What some people don’t know is that there are already plans to build 65 houses on the site currently being used by the Llay Legion. There are also plans to build 27 houses on the old infant school site.

If this development goes ahead that will mean Llay will have 459 new houses in the near future! So for arguments sake lets say each house has 1 child, this equates to an extra 1,377 residents!

This will mean an increase of 27% in Llay’s population. Far too big an increase for ANY village to cope with, no matter where it is!

Captain C
    Participant

@ddraig 16377 wrote:

I agree with Chris.

Are you both ganging up on us for fun as you seem to be on first name terms?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News

Senedd rejects calls to introduce for academies and free schools in Wales

News

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News