Live Parking Info Signs!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Live Parking Info Signs!

• Author

johnnytv
    Participant

Saw these in use last night, not sure if they’re to be updated to include figures but all they said were either “Spaces” or “Closed”.

Has it really cost over half a million for this?? In my experience there are spaces at all of the town centre car parks 99% of the time (Island Green probably being the only exception). Eagles Meadow is never completely full, even at Christmas. The increase in parking charges will only make spaces more freely available.

Where do they get these costing figures from?? The amount for King Street is ludicrous too – is it companies fleecing the council for as much as they can? If so are the decision makers that dense that they can’t see it happening?

wrexview
    Participant

In most cities they indicate the number of spaces available, maybe if the car park is nearly empty in the evening it just says ” spaces”.

NJones
    Participant

We went into town yesterday and the outdoor car park by peoples market said Full so we parked in Tesco’s (and did some shopping there too) but when we later walked through the car park- the sign still said full but there were at least 4 or 5 spaces free. Not very accurate or helpful!

Liam
    Participant

The St George’s Crescent car park by KFC was supposedly ‘full’ when I drove past it earlier, yet I could clearly see at least four spaces. Teething problems?

Rob
    Participant

Whats the betting if I ask can the data be published online that the system is not capable of doing it… :)

I hope to be pleasantly surprised, and that it comes under OpenData so we can publish and log car park capacity on here!

Liam
    Participant

It would certainly be interesting to monitor.

BenjaminM
    Participant

@Liam 10504 wrote:

The St George’s Crescent car park by KFC was supposedly ‘full’ when I drove past it earlier, yet I could clearly see at least four spaces. Teething problems?

How accurate do you expect it to be? Four or five spaces represents an accuracy of +/- 1 or 2%. You can’t get much better than that.
    Anyway, if you were driving, you should have been watching the road not rubbernecking!
    And would you please explain why and for what purpose it would be ‘interesting’ to view the data on line?
    Must have nothing better to do to occupy your time.

Darlofan
    Participant

@BenjaminM 10512 wrote:

How accurate do you expect it to be? Four or five spaces represents an accuracy of +/- 1 or 2%. You can’t get much better than that.
    Anyway, if you were driving, you should have been watching the road not rubbernecking!
    And would you please explain why and for what purpose it would be ‘interesting’ to view the data on line?

Not that hard to spot empty spaces in a car park whilst driving past is it? Being Wrexham he was probably moving slowly in traffic anyway. As for accuracy it’s not that bad to expect 100% accuracy. They know exactly how many spaces there are, detector loops in the entrance and exit count cars in and out so a simple calculation by the computer will work out spaces free. Only thing throwing it out would be someone parking over two spaces which is hardly the councils fault.

wrexview
    Participant

A high occupancy rate is what the Council use to trigger an increase in charges, in theory the converse also applies, a low occupancy rate would trigger a reduction. Publishing the data would give transparency to the decision.

Rob
    Participant

@BenjaminM 10512 wrote:

Nothing wrong with being boring ;)

Open Data is an interesting concept in itself, lots of stuff we as tax payers have paid for has info collected. Some is understandably private, some could be public.

Examples for this dataset could be putting realtime car park info on wrexham.com, so visitors could quickly see if and where spaces are free.

The data could be mashed with prices to give the cheapest place to park, if it was done realtime you could predict the quietest times or busiest :)

Longer term trends could emerge, comparisons possible, impacts of pricing seen publically right away rather than months etc etc.

Dont get me wrong, I am not salvating to find out if space 10A opposite KFC is empty at 9.56pm , however if the data is there….open it up.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Andy Dunbobbin – Labour and Co-operative Party candidate

News

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News

North Wales MS supports call for national brain tumour strategy

News