Live Parking Info Signs!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Live Parking Info Signs!

• Author

BenjaminM
    Participant

A lot of ethereal aspirations and assumptions made in your post Rob.
    I, along with many, am a creature of habit and tend to park in the same car park when visiting town. I certainly would not seek out a parking slot because it happened to be 20p cheaper.
    Do you honestly think that before coming into Wrexham, ANYBODY would think “oh I will check on Wrexham.com to find out where to park” Certainly not residents of the locality and probably many external visitors to the town have never even heard of the site.
    THAT is what the signs have been provided for!
    The lights on Mold Rd bridge, if I recall correctly were criticised on this site for being too tall and an eyesore. If some had taken to think why they in an elevated position, the logic behind the provision would have been apparent. There are others in Wrexham of the same design, but no mention has been made of those, has there?
    Similarly, if the same exercise had been carried out in this instance, a degree of understanding may have taken place before gut reaction set fingers rushing to keyboards and criticising without basis or foundation.
    Can we have some positive threads please that don’t start off with a criticism of anything and everything?

lazyjack
    Participant

@BenjaminM 10512 wrote:

How accurate do you expect it to be? Four or five spaces represents an accuracy of +/- 1 or 2%. You can’t get much better than that.
    Anyway, if you were driving, you should have been watching the road not rubbernecking!
    And would you please explain why and for what purpose it would be ‘interesting’ to view the data on line?
    Must have nothing better to do to occupy your time.

To be fair, if this project really cost the ‘rumoured’ £500k, then I would expect it to be extremely accurate. Why shouldn’t we, that’s the whole point of introducing this sort of system.

Also, how do you work out 4 spaces equal 1% or 2% ? I don’t think there are 200-400 spaces in St George’s Crescent car park.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Also, how do you work out 4 spaces equal 1% or 2% ? I don’t think there are 200-400 spaces in St George’s Crescent car park.

If I really wanted to be really sad, I would go and count them tomorrow, but you know, I don’t think I will bother.
    Tell you what, you count them and let me know.
    But seriously, I think you get the drift.

lazyjack
    Participant

@BenjaminM 10524 wrote:

If I really wanted to be really sad, I would go and count them tomorrow, but you know, I don’t think I will bother.
    Tell you what, you count them and let me know.
    But seriously, I think you get the drift.

Actually, I don’t ‘get the drift’. The whole point in a system like this is accurate information for drivers. If it’s not accurate, then it’s a complete waste of money. Quite a lot of money if the figures are accurate.

Personally, I think it’s a waste of money even if it is accurate. How often do you really struggle to find a space in the car parks in Wrexham ? Even less likely once the prices are increased.

jimbow
    Participant

I park in the outside car park of the Peoples Market two or three times per week during the mid mornings.I have to say that I have never been not able to park more or less straight away, or at most having to wait more than five minutes.The turnaround in this short stay park is quite quick.I do not need signs to tell me that information, at the cost that has been talked about.

Rob
    Participant

I know people who check the @wrexham twitter for travel info , or er, speed camera info!

Incidently before my laptop blue screened and died I had the link to Nottingham who provide realtime carpark info via a public system online. It does look handy.

I am not saying it is the most exciting thing out there, but if the info is there, why not use it.

Liam
    Participant

@BenjaminM 10512 wrote:

How accurate do you expect it to be? Four or five spaces represents an accuracy of +/- 1 or 2%. You can’t get much better than that.
    Anyway, if you were driving, you should have been watching the road not rubbernecking!
    And would you please explain why and for what purpose it would be ‘interesting’ to view the data on line?
    Must have nothing better to do to occupy your time.

It depends what the purpose of the system is, you would expect it’s to maximise the usage of the car parks in which case saying they’re full when they’re not won’t help. Yes it’s very difficult to notice spaces while driving.

As for the purpose of viewing such data wrexview’s post echoes my thoughts on why it would be useful. Anyway thanks for your predictably defensive response.

BenjaminM
    Participant

My pleasure that you are thankful for my ‘predictably defensive response’ but I am afraid that you fail to recognise what the word ‘debate’ means or implies.
    It is a system where opposing views can be aired and chewed over by participants (which incidentally, is what I thought forums were for) rather than everyone backing each other up ad nauseum.
    You may appreciate however, that without opposing interjections, it no longer becomes a debate, but a series of stand alone comments that are not challenged for veracity.
    I am not a great supporter of WCBC and I find many of their decisions questionable, to say the least.
    But, I do believe that with all of the constraints placed upon them, they are doing a reasonable job of managing the County purse.
    Let’s face it, if we all agreed all of the time, what would be the point of debating forums? Mutual appreciation?

Iceman
    Participant

A reasonable job of managing the County purse? Payrise for the boss, pointless mayor position, signs that just say spaces or full, getting rid of lollypop patrols, allowing Eagles Meadow, changing all the speed limits. It all costs money.

wrexview
    Participant

I think these signs are designed for much larger car parks, again today they read full for St. George’s Crescent when spaces were obvious. Also a numerical indication of the spaces available would be much easier to read than the bilingual signage of ” spaces”.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Andy Dunbobbin – Labour and Co-operative Party candidate

News

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News

North Wales MS supports call for national brain tumour strategy

News

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News