Short changing wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Short changing wrexham

• Author

PhilWynn
    Participant

Why is the Welsh Labour Party hell bent on selling off our proud Town and Villages to “Greater Flintshire”.

As a born and bred Wrexhamite, my conscience is clear when I say, my loyalty is to the people of Wrexham, rather than to the people of Flintshire, or come to that Wales.

So I for one, along with fellow W.C.B.C. elected members, will be openly challenging Leighton Andrews’ [Welsh Labour Party AM for Rhondda] instructions, that we are destined to become a suburb of his vision called “Greater Flintshire”.

Before the accusation is made, my challenge is not motivated by a concern for my own financial well-being, or as a “stick in the mud”, but by a clear sense of injustice that the Cardiff centric politicians of Wales wish to see the face of local democracy changed throughout Wales, without the approval of the people they are meant to serve.

Over the pursuing months I am hopeful that the hearts and minds of fellow Wrexhamites can be won over by the argument that their interests are best served by their own community elected members, serving on a Wrexham based Council, rather than by the Labour Party politicians based in Cardiff, Flint Coleshill, Connah’s Quay, Mold, Mancott,…..who are driving this agenda. It is interesting to note that the remaining Labour Party W.C.B.C. elected members, during the summer, were happy to oppose such a merger, following workshops held in August for members. Likewise at our Council meeting in September, they were happy to abstain [rather than vote against] the Wrexham elected members unanimous decision to decline Leighton Andrews’ invitation to enter into a voluntary merger with Flintshire C.C.

If public support for our stance can be achieved then we have a fighting chance of convincing the Welsh Labour Party, or whichever political party holds power after the 2016 Welsh Assembly election, that there is merit in allowing W.C.B.C. to stand alone, just as the William’s Report recommends Powys CC’s can stand alone, even though population wise theirs is similar to Wrexham.

For me any debate, on the issue of forcing Wrexham C.B.C. to merge with Flintshire C.C., needs to be discussed on many levels, which includes:

1. Does the Welsh Labour Party have a mandate to change the fabric of Welsh local democracy, without the consent of the people of Wales?
    2. Come to that, do the elected members of both authorities have the democratic mandate to do likewise, by way of signing up to the voluntary merger which Leighton Andrews’ was arm-twisting Cllr Mark Pritchard to do on behalf of W.C.B.C?
    3. As any pending change in local democracy will need to last the test of time, should we not be looking at a boundary review first, rather than forcing existing authorities to merge?
    4. What are the unforeseen, or glossed over, consequences of a rushed through decision, settled on terms dictated to by Leighton Andrews’?
    5. What are the true up-front costs of a merger and will this be charged to the Wrexham and Flintshire rate-payer?
    6. How many years will it take to repay these costs [before any annual savings derived from the forced merger can be spent on front-line services]?
    7. What guarantee is Leighton Andrews’ providing the people of Wrexham, that these savings will be retained by a new authority, for the delivery of front line services?
    8. W.C.B.C. is in the throes of delivering a Business Plan which will set out how we intend to deliver the £45,000,000 of budget cuts, the Welsh Labour Party are looking to impose on W.C.B.C. and by default our local economy. As such would the added distraction of simultaneously delivering a forced merger derail such plans? If so what future is there for local democracy?
    9. Can an argument be made for a new model of delivering local democracy [acknowledging the need to work in an ever closer partnership with Flintshire C.C.] which still allows both authorities to retain their own identities and civic centres?

I shall come back with my own thoughts on the questions I have posed, once fellow contributors to the wrexham.com forum have had an opportunity to add their own thoughts.

As I type I’ve just asked myself the question, will wrexham.com be re branded as greater flintshire.com? If so is this first example of the unforeseen consequence of a decision imposed on Wrexham by Cardiff based politicians?

Cllr Phil Wynn – elected member for the W.C.B.C. Brynyffynnon Ward and member of the Independent Group

Sheefag
    Participant

A strategy of setting Welshman against Welshman with emotional rhetoric for personal, political gain.
    UTTERLY SHAMELESS.

wrexview
    Participant

Flintshire seem to have more financial problems than Wrexham as they haven’t really planned cuts in the way Wrexham have. It would be a travesty if we are forced to amalgamate and then face further cuts because of poor financial management by Flintshire. North Wales as a whole has not been well served by the Welsh Assembly , which is without doubt South Wales orientated. Their reward for poor management of already devolved powers like NHS Wales is to be given even more powers. What would be the best solution for the quality of life for those of us who live in Wrexham ?

Alunh
    Participant

I trust that the debate on this subject will not pit people against people but will merely be a discussion to find the best way forward.

I understand Councillor Wynn’s position on this question and I have found Councillor Wynn totally genuine and helpful on local matters.

I am not sure which way forward will best protect the people of Wrexham and I remain totally unconvinced about devolution and its benefits as well. Looking at Education as a question, does anything that the Welsh Assembly have to say on this matter make sense? Equally, has Wrexham Council earned the right to continue running Secondary schools?

The debate about Welsh government and local government needs to focus on questions like schools, transport links, community services, local economies and markets, law and order and policing, and less on politicians and personalities. At this moment, I would like someone to convince me that Wrexham as a stand alone authority is better than a greater Flintshire and, equally, that my interests are better served here in Wales than Wrexham within the wider UK (not that this is possible at present)

Sheefag
    Participant

It’s identity politics that I object to Alun.

Don’t like what is decided in The Assembly? Then you need to take a long hard look at the local representatives who you, the voter, voted for.
    Don’t like how your council is run? Ditto.

Nothing will change while people base their political opinions on who their Father voted for and his Father before him rather than the evidence and experience of their own daily lives.

A politician canvassing for votes with a campaign based upon the ‘evil plottings’ of the people of the neighbouring counties typifies the kind of nonsense that has flourished for too long in local government.

It’s cheap, it’s tawdry and it serves no-one outside of the political gravytrain.

99DylanJones
    Participant

I admire Clr Wynn for at least coming out and showing his views — I do however winder when a an elected Member has he ever discussed this with the electorate in his Ward. People cannot talk about democracy when the elected members who are there to represent the views of their own constituents does not even hold a single meeting to discuss such a crucial issue.
    You cant blame the lack of democracy on the WG when it does not exist locally. Unfortunately Phil is not a Member of the 10 strong Executive so has a very limited impact in the decision making process.
    Phil has also omitted to say that the workshop that was held- was prior to any discussion with Flintshire, before the details of the for Voluntary merger option and run by officers who had been briefed to run the event in such a manner that anything other than Wrexham run services was presented as being negative.
    Can he also explain how the Education standards in Wrexham consistently remain lower than the schools in Flintshire.
    This is such a crucial issue for residents in Wrexham we should be given the chance to be part of the decision making process and not just the elected Members who have a self interest in keeping their positions– the recommendations for a joint county would be between 60 and 70 less Council Members as indicated in the report on Council reorganizations.

JaneJ
    Participant

It should be pointed out that Phil Wynne is no different to the 10 Labour members that jumped to the Independents. Any one who is elected on one political ticket who wants to change Politcal Party should have the courage to resign and force a Bi election and take their chance.

Having a Council that is led by ‘Independents’ means that there is not even a manifesto in place to say what they are going to do. Do all the ‘Independents actually have the same views!!

wxm
    Participant

@PhilWynn 17529 wrote:

Why …

Cllr Phil Wynn – elected member for the W.C.B.C. Brynyffynnon Ward and member of the Independent Group

It is commendable to see an elected member bringing this debate out into the public arena, and lets hope all avenues are used to engage the public.

Key objectives of the collective role of elected members and the Council could be summed up as providing a sound social fabric, and a prosperous economy … using all the resources at their disposal to achieve this.

Providing good schools that give people a good start in life, good roads that enable the community to get around efficiently, providing for those who need help with housing or care, working with the health system, and looking to the outside world so that we are competitive in a global economy.

Wrexham has some extraordinary historical standards that have been quoted amongst the best in class, such as Grove Park School, and some big name manufacturing companies. However, in the last decade or two, the area has dropped 14 points in the ONS table (14%) of economic output.

The challenges for Wrexham could be listed as:

– position in the competitive economy, which includes the competitors of North Wales, and North West England.
    – creation of high earning sustainable jobs.
    – providing services to the public with the growing cost of age.
    – collectively in North Wales the cost of democratic administration, which has risen substantially over the last twenty years.

As an example for debate, if these sorts of challenges were dealt with in this order, Wrexham could return to control its own destiny.

Sheefag
    Participant

Spot on WXM, spot on.
    Instead, you see the worst kind of identity politics from local politicians who are focussed solely on politics, rather than the welfare of the area and the constituents within.

Narcissism dressed up as patriotism, and they are all the same, every last, single, self-serving, one of them.

zinger
    Participant

How much will it cost us, Joe Public, to have the stationery changed, livery changed on all the vehicles, signposts replaced etc. Again!! The money has to come from somewhere whether in the form of grants or taxes or laughiingly Europe. I have lived in Denbighshire, Clwyd & Wrexham CB & I have not moved house. The same goes for City status. In the end the cost is down to us. My bank still had Clwyd on their letterheading the last time I looked.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News