Short changing wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Short changing wrexham

• Author

JaneJ
    Participant

Clr Wynn I noted that you asked a question/ passed comment at the Executive this week- do you personally feel that the Executive took any notice- certainly didn’t look like on the web cast.
    Were you part of the group that met Leighton or are you repeating second hand what happened?
    How can you say that Mark Pritchard has an independent mandate he got on the Council unopposed therefore has no electorate backing. How come Labor didn’t put a candidate up against him when immidiately after the election he was made Deputy Leader by the then Labor Leader Neil Rogers- how independent has he been prior to the 10 Labor Councilor defecting to the Independents– when did he ever challenge anything the Labor Leader put forward.
    Sorry Phil but seems like you have a short memory about how things operated with the Executive prior to the defecting.

JaneJ
    Participant

Phil — with your latest comment re the Union I assume you are not in favor of Unions so indirectly not in favour of workers rights to join together to negotiate– perhaps like yourself you as an Independent Councilor you want the Council workforce all to remain independent.
    You should also realize that Unison along with other unions allows for political donations to go to other parties and nit just Labour

PhilWynn
    Participant

@JaneJ 17816 wrote:

Phil — with your latest comment re the Union I assume you are not in favor of Unions so indirectly not in favour of workers rights to join together to negotiate– perhaps like yourself you as an Independent Councilor you want the Council workforce all to remain independent.
    You should also realize that Unison along with other unions allows for political donations to go to other parties and nit just Labour

Jane – my comments acknowledge a close partnership between Unison and the Labour Party and nothing else.

PhilWynn
    Participant

@JaneJ 17815 wrote:

Clr Wynn I noted that you asked a question/ passed comment at the Executive this week- do you personally feel that the Executive took any notice- certainly didn’t look like on the web cast.
    Were you part of the group that met Leighton or are you repeating second hand what happened?
    How can you say that Mark Pritchard has an independent mandate he got on the Council unopposed therefore has no electorate backing. How come Labor didn’t put a candidate up against him when immidiately after the election he was made Deputy Leader by the then Labor Leader Neil Rogers- how independent has he been prior to the 10 Labor Councilor defecting to the Independents– when did he ever challenge anything the Labor Leader put forward.
    Sorry Phil but seems like you have a short memory about how things operated with the Executive prior to the defecting.

Jane – again you seem happy to read into my statements what you like to advance your own stance on issues, which for all I know are politically motivated. Sadly we will never know.

Mark Pritchard whether you like it or not has a democratic mandate off his peers to oppose the offer of a voluntary merger of Wrexham with Flintshire CC. Even the Labour opposition on the night abstained, so read into that what you like.

Cllr Phil Wynn

jimbow
    Participant

[QUOTE=PhilWynn;17821 CC. Even the Labour opposition on the night abstained, so read into that what you like.

Cllr Phil Wynn

Phil:- The Labour party abstain on most things. A complete and utter waste of time. They should be there to look after the people of Wrexham’s interests, not their own.

Katia
    Participant

Wanted Down Under – Council Mergers and Amalgamation.

Leighton Andrews may well have been looking for inspiration at how other countries are managing this process over the last decade or so.

Australia for example, specifically Sydney.
    Ten years ahead of us or will things play out differently here in Wales compared to New South Wales ?

25 November 2003
    City Councillors Unite Against South Sydney Merger
    City councillors unite against South Sydney merger – http://www.smh.com.au

How things turned out for them…
    City of South Sydney – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7 October 2014
    Sydney Councils Baulk At Mergers Despite Promise Of Big Funding Boost
    Sydney councils baulk at mergers despite promise of big funding boost

1 December 2014
    Big Sydney Councils Seize Front Foot On Merger Talks
    Big Sydney councils seize front foot on merger talks

The same arguments for and against, the same threats, even the same comments in the papers. The same in store for Wrexham Council ?

JaneJ
    Participant

Katia
    Excellent piece of cross referencing you have done here– fully agree with your comments you could transpose Flintshire and Wrexham throughout the similarity is uncanny.

Katia
    Participant

This week BBC, and BBC Wales, marked Democracy Day, managed to refer to South Wales as “back home” after a traffic update regarding North Wales on BBC Radio Wales, and for good measure quietly slipped into their reporting that cuts in local council democracy across Wales could fund more Assembly Members in Cardiff Bay.
    No challenge during the programme as to whether the Welsh Assembly have a mandate to do so.
    No questions asked about whether the people of Wales want to swap local politicians for Assembly Members – quite the opposite, routinely stating we do.
    Shouldn’t the BBC be asking how Leighton Andrews is getting away with it ?

BBC Wales Today reported that 60 Assembly Members cost £50m yearly, a rise to 80 AMs would cost £7m-£9m more each year, with 100 AMs costing £14m-£17m extra.

The First Minister Of Wales, Carwen Jones believes there is no appetite among the public for more Assembly Members.
    The Welsh Conservatives agree, and believe more AMs would have to be accompanied by a cut in politicians elsewhere.
    Andrew RT Davies, AM Leader Welsh Conservatives ” I do not subscribe to increasing the overall cost of politics in Wales and if there are to be additional AMs we need to reduce the overall cost by making sure that we make the savings elsewhere, where responsibility has either been transferred from, or by creating a more dynamic footprint for local government here in Wales. “

BBC Wales Nick Sorvini reported ” For this to be acceptable to the public {Lucy} it’s got to be accompanied by cuts in local government and MPs.
    Now big cuts to the numbers of councillors is being explicitly talked about as part of local government re-organisation – and in terms of MPs if we see the emergence of English votes for English laws, that is to say only English MPs will have a say on matters that just affect England, then I think that inevitably there will be calls for a reduction in the number of MPs as well.
    The twist in this of course is that the decisions on the future size of the Assembly are made at Westminster.
    {And} to that end it would be a bit like MPs would be like turkeys voting for Christmas if they supported a big increase in the number of Assembly Members “.
    BBC News – Extra 20 assembly members could cost up to £9m extra a year

Wales Online 16 October 2013 reported the 100 Assembly Members would cost £10m extra yearly, so thats a huge increase in just over 12 months.
    ‘Wales needs 40 more AMs at £10m a year’ says report – Wales Online

I’m not a huge fan of Neil Kinnock usually but his views regarding the WAG are almost spot on. My contention is that rather than embracing devolution whole heartedly as Mr Kinnock suggests we need to look for a way to scrap it altogether.
    Daily Post 23 January 2015
    Neil Kinnock: Former Labour leader says Welsh Government should not get tax-raising powers – Daily Post

Shouldn’t we be hearing more from BBC Wales about the reduction in local democracy across all of Wales caused by fattening the Assembly ?
    What we have at present isn’t perfect and needs change but it has to be more useful for the people of Wrexham to benefit from local representation rather than Leighton Andrew’s vision being quietly accepted.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

What are they getting away with? The reform of local government bill is part of the announced 2013/4 program. The people of Wales voted for this administration, who stated they would be reforming local gov. I don’t know why everyone seems so surprised by it. If you don’t like it there are Assembly elections next year, use your vote to send a message go for the party who says they won’t make the changes. I doubt you will find one, they are all talking about reform of one sort or another. Wales doesn’t need 22 councils.

johnhoppy
    Participant

The trouble is that here in Wales we may as well be living in a one party state, so Labour can put what they want in their manifesto knowing that they will still be in government.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Two former North Wales Police officers to be barred from policing after misconduct hearing

News

Navigating the World of Online Dating!

News

Drop in number of Welsh-medium pupils in Wrexham blamed on lockdown

News

Free prostate cancer blood tests as local group share how to get a PSA Test

News

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News