Wrexham Community Centres

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Community Centres

• Author

Metalhead
    Participant

Right, I’m not at all up to speed on this matter (regarding other community centre’s in the Wrexham area) so apologies in advance if this is a blatantly stupid question.

Just read this in the archives (and it seems to be a fairly recent item):

£800k Acton Community Centre Refurb Underway | Wrexham.com

I presume that the Acton centre must be very well supported to warrant a redevelopment programme of £800,000!!! Marford is also very well supported and would appear requiring a mere fraction of that cost to sort out and yet somehow it got earmarked for closure? There would appear to be a something of an inconsistency here.

….or am I missing something?:confused:

NJones
    Participant

Great that the community can run its own community centre and shame that the council are so inept.

@Traceym 7031 wrote:

What Marford is faced with is a lot of people think Marford is snobby and i think somebody posted with “wads of money”.
    Well like anywhere, there are wealthy people in the area and there are also people like me, that actually want to live in an nice area. For this to happen we have to get off our backsides and work for it.

Look at the people who ‘donated’ to save the quarry and got a free bit of land to extend their massive gardens into. Wonder how many of these moved into the village over the past years?

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Metalhead;7057 wrote:
    Right, I’m not at all up to speed on this matter (regarding other community centre’s in the Wrexham area) so apologies in advance if this is a blatantly stupid question.

Just read this in the archives (and it seems to be a fairly recent item):

£800k Acton Community Centre Refurb Underway | Wrexham.com

I presume that the Acton centre must be very well supported to warrant a redevelopment programme of £800,000!!! Marford is also very well supported and would appear requiring a mere fraction of that cost to sort out and yet somehow it got earmarked for closure? There would appear to be a something of an inconsistency here.

….or am I missing something?:confused:

I love this line…
    Local Councillor, Cllr Geoff Lowe said “This development continues the Council’s modernisation of local facilities to provide multi-purpose facilities catering for all sections of the community. The new facility will enable us to deliver a wide variety of activities and will give Acton a community hub it can be proud of.”

Like he said that.Manufactured marketing gobbledygook, whoever wrote the press release wants shooting. Of course they would write of their own demise as “The heart of the communications asset is to have a brand new redesign that will bring new exciting opportunities to people of Wrexham.”

The Acton centre was in need of some structure and refit changes… But i agree all community centres deserve to be kept, if the majority of the wards’ voters want them.

Well done to TracyM and her colleagues, I wish there were more people like you in Wrexham.

Traceym
    Participant

Marford’s land is worth more to the council, thats the difference. That would help plug the hole in there £34,000,000 deficit.

wxm
    Participant

Progress would be Wrexham Council producing ONE report detailing the proposals for the future of EVERY community centre in the County as things stand today. Condition of the premises, annual costs, estimated cost of any repairs, proposals for future use, proposals under consideration to close or sell any off.

Any such report should take one person no longer than a month to prepare.

If the Council are selling off land to pay for day to day services, this model will simply go bust in the end, just like the banks and financial centres in 2008!

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Traceym;7066 wrote:
    Marford’s land is worth more to the council, thats the difference. That would help plug the hole in there £34,000,000 deficit.

agreed.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    wxm;7067 wrote:
    Progress would be Wrexham Council producing ONE report detailing the proposals for the future of EVERY community centre in the County as things stand today. Condition of the premises, annual costs, estimated cost of any repairs, proposals for future use, proposals under consideration to close or sell any off.

Any such report should take one person no longer than a month to prepare.

Not going to happen, because the strategy is privatisation piece by piece. one community centre means just one of group people up in arms. All at once means more noise and thus less likely to go through.

i

wxm
    Participant

Whether Wrexham spends £212m or £430m a year, the whole of Council should know where it stands financially each month? How can 2 councillors be so shocked over one of these issues, council tax, as reported in the local press:

Wrexham councillor Arfon Jones was “shocked” by the amount of unpaid council tax and will be asking questions about how the authority plans to address the issue at the next executive meeting.

“I didn’t realise it was that bad,” he said. “Whenever the administration is making savings they quote £34m. Well nearly £5m of unpaid council tax would go towards meeting that saving target.”

Cllr Dave Bithell, leader of the Wrexham Independent Group, described the drop in the collection rate as “worrying”. He added: “When decisions are being made to cut bus services and there are potential closures of community centres it is important we recover as much money as possible.”

Rob
    Participant

This has popped up on the BBC radar yesterday BBC News – Rethink over future of 19 community centres in Wrexham it suggests any repairs for Marford wont be happening, and meetings are taking place to form an ownership group.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I hope Marford residents can rescue their centre. It’s well used and if the community can afford to undertake the repairs they will have a real ‘community’ centre.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Andy Dunbobbin – Labour and Co-operative Party candidate

News

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News

North Wales MS supports call for national brain tumour strategy

News

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News