Wrexham Community Centres

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Community Centres

• Author

DR
    Participant

Quote from the council report regarding Marford community centre: “Whilst the facility is well used, it is mainly for non-statutory childcare which can be provided in the private sector. A similar facility exists at the Marford School. Other uses could be accommodated at other local locations. The building requires significant investment to be brought up to modern standards.”

If you want to have a read further, the council report is up for tomorrow’s meeting. Nice little chart break down on the last two pages showing how the buildings are sustained: https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/MinutesData/HomesEnvCom/Reports/HCWD2513.pdf

Metalhead
    Participant

@darryl 6985 wrote:

Quote from the council report regarding Marford community centre: “Whilst the facility is well used, it is mainly for non-statutory childcare which can be provided in the private sector. A similar facility exists at the Marford School. Other uses could be accommodated at other local locations. The building requires significant investment to be brought up to modern standards.”

If you want to have a read further, the council report is up for tomorrow’s meeting. Nice little chart break down on the last two pages showing how the buildings are sustained: https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/MinutesData/HomesEnvCom/Reports/HCWD2513.pdf

Thanks darryl, will have a read through that. I was told today that the facility mentioned in that report (at the nearby Rofft School) is not suitable for the playgroup which uses Marford Community Centre and it could not possibly accommodate all of those children. I have no idea how much maintenance work the building requires although I would be surprised it required major work.

zinger
    Participant

Would it be in need of something quite expensive like rewiring that you don’t necessarily see? Or just a lick of paint & imagination? Perhaps events could be put on to raise money for whatever needs doing to it. Get the community involved including schools & local businesses.

Liam
    Participant

Have been told that the statement about Marford Community Centre providing non statutory childcare is inaccurate, hopefully should be cleared up tomorrow.

NJones
    Participant

Interesting that the Rofft School, Church Hall on Chester Road and facilities in Gresford are deemed ‘not suitable’. Plenty of space in them and how a school be deemed not suitable for childcare?!

Some of the people of Marford soon put their hands in their pockets when the quarry needed to be ‘saved’, but there again the land that was given away to some who donated at the top of the quarry was a bit of an incentive. Lets see how willing they are to save their community hall, rather than the unsuitable facilities within easy reach.

Metalhead
    Participant

@NJones 6991 wrote:

Interesting that the Rofft School, Church Hall on Chester Road and facilities in Gresford are deemed ‘not suitable’. Plenty of space in them and how a school be deemed not suitable for childcare?!

Apparently (I am only going by what I have been told) Rofft school does not have the capacity to take the additional number of pre-school children currently catered for by the playgroup. There is also an issue with parking, Wynnstay Lane is already rammed at peak times without introducing further traffic. If the council were to build some kind of building extension and introduce additional car parking facilities then I would imagine that could work. Some of the activities probably could be relocated elsewhere but should the centre close others currently have nowhere to go. Why should the residents of Marford just accept that the centre should be closed and sold off?

Rob
    Participant

Community Centre Closure Proposals Thrown Out | Wrexham.com from two of us there at the meeting today.

Quite an odd meeting as at times it seemed that there were proposed closures and no proposed closures, and that any proposals to close were only there to start a debate.

Likewise the committee had asked for full information on all 12 areas of Wrexham and were only provided with 2.

Overall this issue is not finished, but it seems its been kicked down the road abit before it comes back again.

I have a feeling that a general strategy of getting less run by the Council is being followed here, and groups / trusts and the like will perhaps end up running such centres.

If, how, when and why is another question!

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I see the council had over 600 letters of protest from the residents of Marford. Shout and you are heard, talk and no one listens!

wxm
    Participant

600 letters, great to hear. The wrexham.com report on the committee makes interesting reading, it sounds as if the committee has previously asked for the whole of Wrexham (community centres) to be considered at once – how sensible.

As in every other walk of life, including the household, everything needs to be joined up in one budget. Community centres, education, roads & paths, all amenities, every Council department. This is simple stuff? And what the scrutiny committee seem to be asking for?

Metalhead
    Participant

There were certain people who did a stellar job of getting this out to the residents of Marford (I had nothing to do with it BTW) and should be applauded for their work in my view. The general reaction to this proposal among Marford residents was very negative, hence the number of us which decided to voice our objection to it. This is brilliant news, as Rob stated in his post I believe that there is a possibility that certain centres may end up being bought/run by the communities or maybe local councils could be given a more active role in the day to day running of some of these centres. If that means local fund raising would be required to help pay for things like maintenance work then I would imagine that could be a realistic option (in our case anyway).

Meeting sounds like it was a bit of a shambles…not sure what’s gone on there?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News

North Wales MS supports call for national brain tumour strategy

News

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News