Wrexham Community Centres

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Community Centres

• Author

DR
    Participant

Following a recent community asset review across Wrexham, a number of community centres are at risk of closure / potential closure. The asset review looks at a “mixed portfolio of assets (public sector, third party or community owned) in a particular geographic area to underpin communities”.

So far it has been proposed that centres in New Broughton and Lodge (near Brymbo) should close. With Marford community centre due for further consideration before a decision is made.

So far only 2 out of the 12 ‘geographical’ areas have undergone asset reviews, so not all community centres in the area have been assessed yet.

Does this concern you?

Do you think the council are right to potentially close community centres down?

Wrexham Community Centres Under Threat | Wrexham.com

Alunh
    Participant

I was brought up on the old adage of “use it or lose it”. The world is a changing place and both pubs and working men’s clubs are evaporating because of the changes. Even 21st birthdays are almost impossible to have in a Community Centre now because either people don’t go or they rush off to town by 9.

If the stats show that they aren’t worth keeping, close them.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

The Community Centres used to be the hub of village life. Everything was held there from celebrations to social groups. I know a couple of villages that have Resource Centres now which seem to take over from the Community Centres. I don’t doubt that some are still used but the ones under threat are the ones that are under used. If they are uneconomical then it’s down to the Community. If they don’t support the Centre it proves it’s not wanted.

wxm
    Participant

Is it a question of adaptation?

Community Centres, and Resource Centres, are the same thing?

Are these places parent groups can operate out of, those who are going through rehabilitation or extra exercise, a location for post offices that may otherwise close, weekly surgery for council ward members, local markets . . .

Rondetto
    Participant

Use it or lose it is true enough too. It’s the same with pubs and clubs. People rally around when there is the threat of closure but where are they when we need them?

Metalhead
    Participant

Can’t comment on other centres but Marford is actually very well supported and there are no suitable alternative premises for some of the activities which take place there to relocate to. I believe the centre may be in need of some kind of maintenance work which has been explained to me as the as the most probable reason for this proposal. I suspect the sale of its land would create interest from certain parties willing to pay good money for it, this is probably the real reason why it has been earmarked for closure. The general feeling amongst Marford residents is that this proposal is not at all positive news for our village. We do use it and yet and might still lose it:(

NJones
    Participant

@Metalhead 6978 wrote:

Can’t comment on other centres but Marford is actually very well supported and there are no suitable alternative premises for some of the activities which take place there to relocate to. I believe the centre may be in need of some kind of maintenance work which has been explained to me as the as the most probable reason for this proposal. I suspect the sale of its land would create interest from certain parties willing to pay good money for it, this is probably the real reason why it has been earmarked for closure. The general feeling amongst Marford residents is that this proposal is not at all positive news for our village. We do use it and yet and might still lose it:(

There is a church hall about half a mile up the road towards Gresford. It seems the main issue at Marford is the building hasn’t been maintained. It could be a good location for a local shop!!

callumed1
    Participant

Well I for one count Rhiwabon extremely lucky in this regard, we have 4 ‘community’ halls – The Large community centre with a stage and a huge hall, a small community centre, a brand new Village hall with committee rooms and a Church Hall. All of these buildings are in constant use with block bookings from the WI, Weight watchers, political parties, Scouts and Brownies ect. These buildings are well managed and cared for by the community and we would be extremely sad to see any of these buildings close (of course not all are run by the council)

Metalhead
    Participant

@NJones 6979 wrote:

There is a church hall about half a mile up the road towards Gresford. It seems the main issue at Marford is the building hasn’t been maintained. It could be a good location for a local shop!!

Apparently the Methodist Church is unsuitable for some of the main users of Marford Community Centre, they have already looked into that, there really isn’t anywhere else for these groups to relocate to. You’re right about the maintenance part (also mentioned in my original post) although I don’t believe the building is in all that bad a state (it’s certainly not beyond saving). Certain parties may indeed be interested in it for developing into some kind of retail unit? However, there are a significant number of residents who feel that it would be very unfair to rob the community of this well used community centre in order to flog it off to some developer.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@Metalhead 6981 wrote:

Apparently the Methodist Church is unsuitable for some of the main users of Marford Community Centre, they have already looked into that, there really isn’t anywhere else for these groups to relocate to. You’re right about the maintenance part (also mentioned in my original post) although I don’t believe the building is in all that bad a state (it’s certainly not beyond saving). Certain parties may indeed be interested in it for developing into some kind of retail unit? However, there are a significant number of residents who feel that it would be very unfair to rob the community of this well used community centre in order to flog it off to some developer.

In this case I think if the community rallied around and make enough noise the council might listen. I think it said in the article that Marford was at risk because of the building and not because it was underused. Kick up a stink and who knows it could be saved. After all the council wants votes at the next election and an unhappy community is not how to collect them.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News

North Wales MS supports call for national brain tumour strategy

News

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News