Bins

• Author

zinger
    Participant

Where does all the rubbish come from? Before wheelie bins & plastic bin bags, we used to have one metal dustbin about half the size.

Metalhead
    Participant

@zinger 8921 wrote:

Where does all the rubbish come from? Before wheelie bins & plastic bin bags, we used to have one metal dustbin about half the size.

Those metal bins probably had more than half the capacity of a wheelie bin (until a few years ago we still had one at work for storing sand in, they actually hold quite a bit) and they would have been emptied every week. I also doubt that I was the only kid to discover the tops made great shields when playing knight battles with your mates, good times! :)

Darlofan
    Participant

@zinger 8921 wrote:

Unecessary packaging. Not an eco warrior but why do bananas etc come in plastic bags?

zinger
    Participant

Supermarkets have to be to blame or this as well as everything else. I remember shopping with a gondola basket for fruit & veg.

Y Ffin
    Participant

The main aim of recycling is actually to encourage people to produce less waste in the first place by changing their behaviour and especially their shopping. I don’t see why the local environment and the planet should suffer just to allow a few reactionaries to continue their wasteful behaviour.As for litter, Wrexham has one of the biggest problem in Wales and it is local people who are dropping the rubbish! We don’t have enough tourists to put the blame on them!

NJones
    Participant

Thankfully we do have a good recycling facility for those who can get stuff down to it too. I recently helped a friend empty a house in Congleton as I drive a van. However the nearest recycling site has rules which mean you have to have a permit if you use a van or pick up, or a trailer longer than 1.5m to take waste for recycling. The permit has to be applied for and dealt with by the local council so is only obtainable in office hours. And when you do get a permit you can only do a maximum of three trips in total. That coupled with the miserable and obnoxious staff complaining about people bring to the site and expecting people to have perfectly sorted bags of waste for them made it very difficult to use. We ended up leaving the van and using his car to do more trips to driving to the next site to recycle waste. Hardly environmentally friendly.

I’m glad to say our recycling site in Wrexham is nothing like this- polite staff and a great accessible facility.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

West End queen packs her running shoes for Llangollen Eisteddfod return!

News

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News