Bins

• Author

weasel
    Participant

Well…my o my….Wrexham council are wasting yet more money on the latest gray food bins….Now everybody is leaving rotting food scraping outside their doors…. Are they really trying to turn the town into one big almighty SLUM…Grrr.

Born Acorn
    Participant

uhhh…

Only the food that would be just chucked in the black waste bin outside your door as normal would go in the grey bin.

There should be no increase in food waste left outside than normal?

zinger
    Participant

Where my sister lives, they decided in their wisdom to get rid of the recycling green boxes as they weren’t considered big enough. They were given to the residents to use as they saw fit as they weren’t recycleable.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

That is the height of irony. A recycling bin made of non reusable material!

zinger
    Participant

Now they have a black bin, a brown bin & a blue bin.

Steve
    Participant

For me we recycle plastic, glass and tins in the box along with paper in the bags. However the food goes into bags in the grey general waste bin and I have no plans to change that!

I do not want a stinking slop bucket hanging around my home and garden, in the recent hot weather I made the mistake of throwing an ‘un-bagged’ chicken carcass in the general bin…. OMG after a few days I had a massive smelly problem, so I defiantly will not be storing rotting un-bagged food in the sun again!

BenjaminM
    Participant

If the Council devoted more of their resources to collecting empty beer cans, vodka and wine bottles etc from all over the Borough rather than getting householders to do the work for them, the town would be a much cleaner place- now that would be meaningful recycling!
    It would be an interesting question if a truthful answer was given to where the food waste goes. My hunch is that it goes to landfill like the rest of the general waste.
    But yes, I suppose that because they collect separately, it gives another tick in the green box checklist.
    Total waste of time, money and resources.
    I made the point some while ago, a ‘straw survey’ that i did on bin collection day indicated that only 5 out of 400 houses were complying.
    But does that matter?. No, not if it makes them look good.

WCBC
    Participant

BenjaminM: – Your hunch is wrong I’m glad to say. Your food waste, if put into the green bin will be sent to Wrexham Recycling Park on the Industrial Estate and composted and this has been happening for some time now. If your food waste is going into your black bin, however, this will be going to landfill. Either way your bin is emptied fortnightly. The new food caddies ensure a weekly collection of food waste if you choose to use it. The food waste can be put into compostible bags which helps prevent the “chicken” incident you mentioned in you rpost.

Weasel: The council is able to extend the food caddy collections as it is replacing some of its refuse vehicles, which are due for renewal, and is replacing them with the new food waste vehicles. As vehicles come up for renewal they will be replaced with the new vehicles and eventually the whole of the county borough will be able to have its waste food collected weekly. Hope this clarifies things.

At the moment residents in Wrexham are recycling over 52% of their waste. In 2002this figure was just 3% so an amazing result. We are, and with the continued support of residents, will continue to reach and eventually exceed recycling figures.

Did you know that you can also pick up a bag of free compost from any of our amenity sites, Brymbo, Plas Madoc and the Industrial Estate? – This is a thank you for recycling. Just take a shovel and bag.

wrexview
    Participant

I like the compostible bags but they extremely expensive in the supermarkets over £2 for about 20-25. Can you wrap your food waste , such as the chicken previously mentioned, in newspaper and put it in the green bin? Having just visited another county in England where this is what have been asked to do, I was wondering if it would be acceptable here.

NJones
    Participant

@WCBC 8693 wrote:

BenjaminM: – Your hunch is wrong I’m glad to say. Your food waste, if put into the green bin will be sent to Wrexham Recycling Park on the Industrial Estate and composted and this has been happening for some time now. If your food waste is going into your black bin, however, this will be going to landfill. Either way your bin is emptied fortnightly. The new food caddies ensure a weekly collection of food waste if you choose to use it. The food waste can be put into compostible bags which helps prevent the “chicken” incident you mentioned in you rpost.

Weasel: The council is able to extend the food caddy collections as it is replacing some of its refuse vehicles, which are due for renewal, and is replacing them with the new food waste vehicles. As vehicles come up for renewal they will be replaced with the new vehicles and eventually the whole of the county borough will be able to have its waste food collected weekly. Hope this clarifies things.

At the moment residents in Wrexham are recycling over 52% of their waste. In 2002this figure was just 3% so an amazing result. We are, and with the continued support of residents, will continue to reach and eventually exceed recycling figures.

Did you know that you can also pick up a bag of free compost from any of our amenity sites, Brymbo, Plas Madoc and the Industrial Estate? – This is a thank you for recycling. Just take a shovel and bag.

Didn’t think Wrexham.com allowed unidentifiable people to use the forums- who is behind WCBC?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

West End queen packs her running shoes for Llangollen Eisteddfod return!

News

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News