Wrexham the Market Town

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham the Market Town

• Author

wxm
    Participant

Retail relies on location location location and the free market system … the consumer choosing freely, at an offer price, and without intervention.

Wrexham will have to be very cautious not to be over interventionist (probably the model that is not working at the moment is due to over intervention), and let the “sellers” and the “buyers” get on with it. This retail segment of “markets” is growing in the UK (which isn’t seen as the figures are difficult to collate and access, unlike the big and centralised retail operations where data is easily accessible).

Wrexham still has the opportunity to enable its markets to thrive, with consumers coming from a 50 mile radius. Especially from within Wales, as heading west does not have an offer for the consumer. Data suggests synergy between Chester and Wrexham, with Chester a “Boutique” and Wrexham a “Market”.

A lot to go for, and waiting for the initiative. While this is good for consumer well-being and choice, we have equal opportunity in industry that provides the earnings and jobs to underpin the economy.

Beverley Griffies
    Participant

It,s sad that three markets have empty stalls and just a few people,in each one. Why not have one market with all the stalls filled, and all the shoppers under one roof. People would be able to see all stalls and not need to wander from market to another. A nice cafe in the middle,would be nice and a meeting place for shoppers.

de ddwyrain
    Participant

I agree that it would be very pleasant for there to be a place where you can sit under the roofs of the covered markets and drink a cup of coffee or even have something to eat. At the same time, I think having more than one covered market in the town centre is an advantage and a unique selling point for Wrexham. Walking from market to market, and through the interconnected shopping arcades and streets like Bank Street is one of the things I found most appealing about the town centre.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I like the arcades. There is something cozy about them. It’s a pity there are empty units in some but Bank Street seems to be thriving.

Rondetto
    Participant

One market catering for all the stalls makes a lot of sense to me. Much better than three markets with many empty stalls.

Alunh
    Participant

@Rondetto 9022 wrote:

One market catering for all the stalls makes a lot of sense to me. Much better than three markets with many empty stalls.

If you were designing one, that would be the model. Unfortunately, we are where we are. Short of selling off the existing space, which I think they have considered, we probably need to be creative with what we have.

It seems odd that we talk about the People’s Market as if it is not in a position to be turned around. That to me seems nonsensical. Because it has been badly run with no sense of direction at all, this does not make it a basket case. On the plus side
    (i). This Market is now much closer to the new heart of the town than say King’s Street.

(ii). It has a car park outside and a car park above it. Many Markets, Oswestry included, would die for this. Of course, having a Car Park is of no advantage if you don’t channel customers. Any good Market management team should be proactively advertising all of those Market traders who are offering to reimburse the Car Parking charge against any given purchases, as well as any other methods.

(iii). It is spacious with abundant stall potential as well as Arcade shops and could be overhauled by some prudent investment (which is now in the pipeline).

(iv). On one side of it is a street (Chester Street) which is still reasonably let and behind it is the route to 2 of the busiest complexes in Wrexham, Home Bargains and Tesco.

What this space actually needs is good management, refurbishment and new thinking. New businesses are needed and whilst the current Report notes that rents in the Wrexham Markets are currently low, they are not low relative to custom and footflow. Additionally, and more importantly, rents and services charges and rates combined now leave the People’s Market relatively uncompetitive compared to Town centre premises, which are being let at reduced rates.

Let’s try and get behind whatever initiative is to hand and turn our Markets around!!!

(iv).

michellecook
    Participant

I ventured into the Peoples Market on Saturday looking for a specific item that has been sold there for years. The stall has vanished and everywhere seems to have been taken over by secondhand furniture.

As we were about to enter the lift to the carpark the fire alarm sounded. We took it upon ourselves to evacuate, a few minutes later stallholders appeared in high-vis but stood around in the corridor not quite knowing what to do. Surely, there must be a contingency plan in place or has that gone along with the majority of stallholders?

Y Ffin
    Participant

Let’s keep our fingers crossed that the market stalls aren’t extended into High Street – the rubbish sold in the Monday market brings very little into the local economy being mainly outside traders selling low quality imported goods. How about supporting the real local businesses that are here every day of the week!! I loved the farmers’ market, but obviously i was in a minority as it has folded, though farmers markets are thriving elsewhere. perhaps we should ask ourselves why?

wxm
    Participant

I started posting on this site 6 months ago. I am committed to the principal that Wrexham should thrive. Good education can take a decade or two to come through. Trade and business can have effects over night – being a market town is both a reality and an opportunity. I have felt empathy and acknowledgements of action, but apart from the few, nothing has changed? Sad it remains for the future of such a town filled with with natural human resource, and people who want to aspire to much more thanWrexham can offer

weasel
    Participant

Why not do what Rhyl does at weekends…Hold a market and carboot sale together…Tyr Prince in Towyn….Thousands of people go every weekend, myself included !!!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

North Wales MS backs campaign for law to create a smoke free Wales

News

Here is a chance to land your dream job as a rhino keeper at Chester Zoo

News

North Wales university using VR to give students valuable insight into coercive control

News

West End queen packs her running shoes for Llangollen Eisteddfod return!

News

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News