Wrexham the Market Town

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham the Market Town

• Author

jimbow
    Participant

I would like to see the Markets firstly as a useful public facility,secondly as part of a Tourist attraction and thirdly where rents,are reasonably priced to attract new tenants but are not subsidesed by the ratepayers.
    The problems associated with some smaller markets is that the Tenant wants a monopoly on the goods they sell.They fear another trader selling similar wares causes a price war,as well as possibly halving their turnover.If the footfall of the market is high then that problem can be overcome,but is nevertheless a concern.
    In the Butchers Market there were up to nine Butchers,now they are down to two.Fruit and Veg and Florists have come and gone,mainly due to poor conditions within the market for their perishable goods.Poor lighting,heating and cleanliness have all played their part in not helping to attract new Tenants.Stalls not adhearing to published opening times do not help the cause.I am sure that there is light at the end of the tunnel but it needs to be sorted as soon as possible.

Red
    Participant

@Alunh 10184 wrote:

@Adam 10170 wrote:

To conclude, whoever reviews the future of the 3 Markets really does need to come in with a radical progressive agenda that has a no holds barred approach to every aspect of the 3 Markets

There is the opportunity there to develop the three Markets as separate entities with a particular character that yet still form part of “brand” Wrexham Market’s. Each Market could play on its character and history, with an element of fresh thinking, that could lead to three dynamic hub spaces in the Town Centre.

The question of what target the Markets should aim to fulfill (Commercial, Tourist, Community Space) I feel is difficult and perhaps unnecessary to define. Through the correct development all three objectives could be met – however there may be a need to perhaps tailor certain aspects to meet certain needs. A Market that is commercially viable, that has good produce and good prices with a local flavour often automatically becomes a community space – link this with a good independent coffee shop/eatery and the effect is doubled. This can then appeal to visitors from the outside and bolster tourism. The three can coexist as Wrexham is not a London, where say Oxford Street is a tourist and economic stronghold but not a community/social hub for local residents.

Hopefully whoever is charged with addressing the Markets in the future can meet some of these objectives.

Alunh
    Participant

Quote from Red “The question of what target the Markets should aim to fulfill (Commercial, Tourist, Community Space) I feel is difficult and perhaps unnecessary to define. Through the correct development all three objectives could be met – however there may be a need to perhaps tailor certain aspects to meet certain needs”.
    I don’t agree with you on this point Red. If, for example, the Council decided that Tourism and the promotion thereof was a real ambition for the town (as it claims to) then the priority for the Authority would be to calculate precisely what offer is required to maximise a return in this area. Most towns that try to pull in the tourists recognise that people move from town to town for a range of good reasons but at the heart of the reasons will be to find produce and services that are either unique to a business, unique to a town or unique to a region. As well as this, tourists will look for goods and services that they are perhaps not readily available on their own doorstep, online or in a local shopping centre. Sometimes it might be an aggregation of rather unusual things that pulls people in.

Unfortunately, if the Council blandly decides to charge X for the rent on the stalls/shops in the Markets then this objective will not be achievable. Why? This is simple. Not all businesses within a Retail scenario make the same profits either per unit or overall. Indeed some businesses are almost established for reasons that have little to do with profitability at all. I am thinking of Arts based shops (which are very popular across the UK) as well as not for profit organisations who often crop up in a Market. Additionally, there are always businesses that charge so little per sales unit (like Sweets and Bookshops) that they rely upon a high volume of Sales to survive. It is often the case that if a Council continually pushes rents up, the law of marginal economics will dictate that the relatively less profitable will fall by the wayside.

Now it may be that some might think that this is as it should be. That is silly if you are trying to put before a Tourist a broad based offer. To avoid the bland outcome it is vital to avoid the bland input. A good Market Management team would know this, as would a good Eagle’s Meadow Manager (who does) as would a good Town Centre Manager. In other words, a vibrant Market needs a sophisticated approach by Management in all areas. You cannot, and I repeat cannot adopt a one size fits all approach to the modern retail arena if you want success

Red
    Participant

Agreed with the one-size fits all avenue being highly wrong. To understand and develop a unique strategy for each site (an indeed on the micro-level each sub-section of a site) is a very important, and sadly often overlooked, development focus.

However I do feel that the three can have a degree of overlap – you could argue tourism starts, ironically, with the people who live and work in the area. Instill a new pride and positive outlook in the people who work and use the market will no doubt rub off on those visitors. Fancy PR campaigns to draw tourists in work, but there is no personal connection. If Joe Evans who visits a newly re-energized Market, talks to his friend from 10 miles away who would normally attend Market XYZ elsewhere, about his good experience it draws him in that is tourism-generation with a personal touch – which often is a lot stronger in attracting visitors in early stage development. Indeed tourists do look for that “special” locally sourced product which we in Wrexham have great access to (especially in terms of food and drink) but this is also an element that local people would be keen to support.

Alas it is the unfortunate case that the economic viability is often the stumbling block – but in creating a space that appeals to the local community and tourists you can somewhat combat the pitfalls of seasonal tourism. Yes I agree there is a danger of trying to do all things for all people, often leading to no value for nobody. But certain elements can have a broad appeal while still playing to a certain target audience or target theme.

wxm
    Participant

Strong contributions from people who know what they’re talking about. At some point, Wrexham will have to face who it should be, what i must offer in the market place, and what its differentiation and unique selling point is.

The Council continue to intervene in the nature of the town, using money and influence that no community group could match, or private developer wants to match. It will be good to see the Council support people in the town who are prepared to lead, and take Wrexham trade to where it needs to go.

Adam
    Participant

From Town Centre Forum:

Amanda Davies gave a brief overview of the current situation with the markets. She referred to the ongoing ‘chicken and egg’ situation in relation to traders and shoppers, but that the recent halloween event had been a great success for traders in the markets.

In order to build on the success of this event, the council are now planning monthly events in a bid to attract people in to the markets. To supplement this new directional signage is to be placed around town, mainly aimed at those unfamiliar with Wrexham.

It’s easy to occasionally take comments out of context however Amanda Davies would have to be particularly unlucky to be mis-understood on so many occasions.

If only half of all visitors familiar with Wrexham found reason to visit the markets then all would be well. Believing that new signage to attract those unfamiliar (tourists?!!!) to Wrexham will make a measurable difference is at best naive, at worst ridiculous.

jimbow
    Participant

A Market more than anything else needs VARIETY of stalls.I went through the Peoples Market last week and for one moment I thought I was at a viewing for Wingetts Monday sale.There were stall after stall full of secondhand furnishings.If this is what WCBC calls reinvigoration of the Market ,I suggest that no more good money is thrown at this project.

zinger
    Participant

Would you take a stall in the Peoples Market? They will have to lower the rents drastically if not make them free for six months to recreate what they had. The main problem as I see it is that it’s a bit like Eagles Meadow, it doesn’t lead anywhere. At one time there was a small bus station that you were headed towards but now for goodness sake it backs on to blank walls. The Home Bargains car park is a no go area for market shoppers I doubt that any new small low profit business could afford to set up there.

Adam
    Participant

So another hugely successful Victorian Christmas market.

I wonder if Wrexham Council will reconsider not continuing with something similar throughout the year???

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News

“Lovely atmosphere on procession” as Eisteddfod welcomed to Wrexham

News

North Wales MS backs campaign for law to create a smoke free Wales

News

Here is a chance to land your dream job as a rhino keeper at Chester Zoo

News

North Wales university using VR to give students valuable insight into coercive control

News