Wrexham the Market Town

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham the Market Town

• Author

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Alunh 8611 wrote:

Which leads us logically back to the key question that should be on everyone’s lips in Wrexham. If the Market authorities are setting out a stall (excuse the pun) that tries to create the impression that it wants to foster local SMEs, why on earth does it perpetuate this gap.

I have tried, and not always succeeded, since I was a kid to be as logical as possible. I see no logic in this unless the exercise is cosmetic and designed with an ulterior motive. For the life of me, I can’t work out what this might be. Please send all suggestions on a postcard to…….

I think the aim of the shop unit promoting have a market stall with too high rents (which i have never seen open when i’m there) is:

a) make it look more used (it means the occupancy rate is up by one )
    b) make it look like the council are doing something
    c) make it look like there are trying everything so they have a get out clause if they decide to mothball it ot make the floor into a car park.
    d) the projections of rent (although not the reality) look good thereby meets the ‘thorough’ scrutiny of the council committees.

jimbow
    Participant

This is the rent situation in Wrexham Markets:-The stall rent is set when the tenant takes occupation of the stall.Thereafter the stall rent does not change from year to year. What does change every year is the Service Charge.Those tenants that have occupied the same stalls since say 2000 have therefore not seen an increase in Rent.However having said that in 2000 the Rents contained a Service Charge,this was to be taken out of the Rent and charged seperately as a Service Charge but unfortunately the Council made a complete mess of the Contracts.The Council charged the same Rent which contained Services and then charged for Services in a separate account.The Tenant was then paying for services twice,in the rent and in the service account.Those RENTS that included services were then used as the guide for future rents.The Council should have used a RENT figure that did not include services as the guideline.That is why RENTS to new tenants are so high and are not attracting any new stalls.In 2003 when this error took place Wrexham Council benefitted by £45,000 per year from the Butchers Market alone and in each year thereafter because of this cock up.The Council will still not meet with me to answer my questions on this mistake.

wrexview
    Participant

Markets have moved on from the days when people would go to a market in the hope of finding cheaper prices, Pound Shops put paid to that. Successful markets these days are the ones which concentrate on local produce, handmade products, bespoke services and collectables, along side the traditional traders. In fact the Market is often a place to find premium products !

jimbow
    Participant

The problem with Wrexham Markets is that the Council do not have a management.You cannot have one stallholder paying £20 per sq ft RENT whilst the stallholder next to them are paying £10 per sq ft RENT.It just does not make sense.

Alunh
    Participant

@wrexview 8618 wrote:

Markets have moved on from the days when people would go to a market in the hope of finding cheaper prices, Pound Shops put paid to that. Successful markets these days are the ones which concentrate on local produce, handmade products, bespoke services and collectables, along side the traditional traders. In fact the Market is often a place to find premium products !

Like Oswestry and Ellesmere Port

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@Alunh 8611 wrote:

Which leads us logically back to the key question that should be on everyone’s lips in Wrexham. If the Market authorities are setting out a stall (excuse the pun) that tries to create the impression that it wants to foster local SMEs, why on earth does it perpetuate this gap.

I have tried, and not always succeeded, since I was a kid to be as logical as possible. I see no logic in this unless the exercise is cosmetic and designed with an ulterior motive. For the life of me, I can’t work out what this might be. Please send all suggestions on a postcard to…….

It makes me wonder if the Council has another use for the Market premises and is trying to vacate the site. They sure aren’t helping the traders still there. In fact they seem to be hindering the market with high rents.

Alunh
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 8623 wrote:

It makes me wonder if the Council has another use for the Market premises and is trying to vacate the site. They sure aren’t helping the traders still there. In fact they seem to be hindering the market with high rents.

…..and yet Peter Scott’s impressive plan didn’t suggest that there was this kind of hidden agenda whilst there are now tabled proposals to spend over a million pounds on the refurb…….

Having spent considerable time in the People’s Market and seen a range of Council officers up close……there is another case to consider.

Is the culture of gross ineptitude so great that there is a disconnect on a high level between the will and the deed? Certain individuals should not be left to run a tea and biscuits afternoon let alone a Market.

As an example, I gave my notice in in February to quit my shop in May (as per requirement). I tidied up the unit to the required level and exited on the agreed date. In June I received rent demands for a unit I had vacated. I contacted the appropriate department. In turn, I received a Rates demand for the same. At this point I should have received back from the Council my Bond deposit (don’t even get me going on this). I phoned the Finance department again (who had no record of my earlier contact). In July I had reminders for the June rent and rates (that I had vacated in May). In turn I received the July rental/rates demand for the same. I phoned again. In turn, more reminders and at the beginning of August (you guessed it) rent and rates demands for August.

I sent in a complete breakdown of my position and outlined on paper what needed to be done. In turn I have received several apologies and a promise that the Bond residue will now be returned.

As Littlejohn says in the Daily Mail, you can’t make this sort of stuff up

jimbow
    Participant

Reading the last post of Alunh,these Council officials are not paid peanuts,perhaps they should be.

wrexview
    Participant

The historic markets are Wrexham’s unique selling point but will completely disappear if action is not taken now! They are owned by the Council and so the Council are responsible for their demise or success. The residents of the town want them to remain, thrive and even expand on Monday’s outdoor market onto the High Street. Management of the indoor markets, especially the rents expected from new businesses is a huge stumbling block to filling the vacant stalls , only the Council have the power the remedy this. The Council is however run by the Councillors who instruct Officers about what they want them to do. Your local Councillors hold the key to sorting this out, time to lobby them before it is too late!

Alunh
    Participant

@wrexview 8650 wrote:

The historic markets are Wrexham’s unique selling point but will completely disappear if action is not taken now! They are owned by the Council and so the Council are responsible for their demise or success. The residents of the town want them to remain, thrive and even expand on Monday’s outdoor market onto the High Street. Management of the indoor markets, especially the rents expected from new businesses is a huge stumbling block to filling the vacant stalls , only the Council have the power the remedy this. The Council is however run by the Councillors who instruct Officers about what they want them to do. Your local Councillors hold the key to sorting this out, time to lobby them before it is too late!

Quite agree with everything you say here. Whilst I was a Market trader I personally emailed every single Wrexham Councillor sending them various observations, Government reports and my predictions if action was not taken. I have emailed Councillor Rogers (who met me to discuss the Market). I have emailed Isobel Watson (Town Centre Manager) and Steve Bailey (Head of Economic Development) as well as Peter Scott (who has the position in the food chain of overseeing the Markets). As a member of the NMTF (National Market Traders Federation) I have been part of countless exercises in trying to pressure the Council to move things along.

In fairness, each and all have expressed a rhetorical willingness to move matters along. There are key reports on the table and there have been useful meetings to try and resolve the problems……………

…….Unfortunately, whatever initiatives are in the system are too little, too slow, possibly too late…….and being implemented with the wrong personnel and wrong culture still in place.

The markets are a precious part of Wrexham’s past and present. They are the key element in preventing Wrexham becoming what the New Economic Forum term a Clone town. They will only prosper if they remain relevant and if they are run with a mixture of vision and efficiency. Whoever is in control of them, they must be run in a cutthroat manner with passion and energy. Wrexham Markets are in competition with the Internet, with other shops in Wrexham and with shops and Markets in other towns. They must be consumer friendly, competitive and provide the right products in the right places and at the right price. This is not 1913 it is 2013 and Market traders should be encouraged to go online and, if needs be, tutored in the same. Increasingly we live in a cashless society and Markets need to respond to this reality. Customers are shrewd and traders need to be shrewder. Management needs to be retail literate, efficient and business minded.

A root and branch exercise is now needed.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

North Wales MS backs campaign for law to create a smoke free Wales

News

Here is a chance to land your dream job as a rhino keeper at Chester Zoo

News

North Wales university using VR to give students valuable insight into coercive control

News

West End queen packs her running shoes for Llangollen Eisteddfod return!

News

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News