Best places to eat out, in or around Wrexham?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Best places to eat out, in or around Wrexham?

• Author

Sketcher30CM
    Participant

I have family coming to stay with me next week and am hoping to be able to take them out for a nice evening meal.

As someone who very rarely eats out, and who’s only lived in Wrexham for a couple of years, I’m hoping you might be able to help me as I’m struggling to decide on somewhere.

Going by food hygiene ratings, I’d been thinking of Anise, but was put off after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. Similarly, I’d been considering Jamuna after reading positive reviews, but was put off by their most recent 1-star hygiene rating.

Not looking for anything particularly over the top; just a nice restaurant or even a cosy pub somewhere, as long as the service and food are very good.

Any recommendations or suggestions..?

Adam
    Participant

If you can travel outside the town then Pant Yr Ochain in Gresford, Golden Lion or Machine House in Rossett.

If you’re limited to the town centre then LemonTree, Eastern Sheraton oe Black Peppers.

Hope that helps

lazyjack
    Participant

I’ve only been to Anise once but the food was very good. For Indian food, we (myself and friends) normally go to Aziz on Church Street. Country Spice in Hope is also very good.

Otherwise, we’ve been to the Griffin in Trevalyn (Rossett) a few times and the food is excellent there. The Pant-yr-Ochain is normally good or maybe even the Corn Mill in Llangollen.

dewi73
    Participant

If you want Indian food you wont get much better than the Tava Indian in Holt.

Rob
    Participant

Another vote here for the Anise, its nice and the guys running it are nice as well :) They have Wxm Lager on tap too.

One to consider is the Cock O Barton which is about 1-2 miles further on from Holt/Farndon way.

Pant Yr Ochain does seem to me to have crept up in price and my gut feeling is if you are looking/able to pay extra then COB over the Pant. Not that I just go out and eat burgers and steaks but they are easy to compare on menus! :)

Pant Menu: Menus – The Pant-yr-Ochain, Gresford
    10oz rump steak with horseradish butter, mushrooms, tomato and chips £17.95
    12oz Rib eye steak with peppercorn sauce, mushrooms, tomato and chips £25.95
    7oz fillet steak with horseradish butter, mushrooms, tomato and chips £25.95
    8oz steak burger topped with grilled bacon, Cheddar served with coleslaw and chips £12.45

COB Comparable: http://www.cobcheshire.com/files/CoB%20A3%20Menu.pdf

10oz Rump Steak £18.95
    10oz Sirloin Steak £22.50
    CoB Steakburger £13.50

Although saying that the Pant always seems to have a decent beer / whisky selection.

Aside from the above, I do have 9 chillis on my Nando’s loyalty card so if things get desperate I am happy to shout a chicken wing or two ;)

seaneb
    Participant

I haven’t been back to the Pant since I found a used fag stump in my pasta, and when I complained I was accused of just trying to win a free meal. Insulted, I paid up in full and left.
    Have you thought of trying the Croes Howell?
    I also rate Anise and Black Peppers.
    If you don’t mind a taxi/ drive then The Bridge Inn in Hope is a very good Chinese too.

Sketcher30CM
    Participant

Brilliant, thanks so much for your suggestions, that’s given me lots to go on. Indian food would be nice as we haven’t actually eaten out at an Indian restaurant since we moved here! Might reconsider Anise, given your thumbs-up… although not ruling out any of the above yet!

You’ve really helped me out, not just for this coming family visit but future trips out, too. Thank you :)

WrecsamGirl
    Participant

Mahis on the A483 is nicer than Anis in my opinion, but a bit of a pain to get to. Golden Lion in Rossett is hideously overrated, The Alyn down the road is much nicer (and cheaper!).

gogledd
    Participant

Family favourites are:
    The Cross Foxes, Overton Bridge
    Pant-yr-Ochain, Gresford
    Eastern Sheriden, High St Wrexham
    The Bridge, Caergwrle/Hope

I have been to Anise to and thought the food was excellent.

MadMan
    Participant

In my opinion Maahi’s is not that good, it seriously lacks the quality of Khazana (when it first opened). Black Peppers and Anise are much better cannot beat Anise for friendly service. While its not close by, I always love a trip to Bengal Dynasty in Shotton for their Chicken Balti very flavoursome. As an alternative to indian food while expensive, I recommend Panama Hatty’s in Spurstow, Cheshire. In my personal opinion i would avoid the Chinese restaurants while i use to love Sleepy Panda its not the same anymore and Eastern Sheraton is poor quality.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News

Bring your broken items to Wrexham’s Repair Cafe this weekend!

News

Wales’ dental services at “risk of catastrophic collapse”

News

Whooping cough cases on the rise in Wales prompting urgent vaccine calls

News

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News