Argos, No catalogues for Wrexham less able

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Argos, No catalogues for Wrexham less able

• Author

Mel
    Participant

Yesterday, I visited both Wrexham Argos stores for a new catalogue for my wife (As advertised on TV). I was told that both stores are now going digital, we can only go online or visit the store to order goods.
    What about the Less Able and elderly people of Wrexham and district? Many don’t have or use computers, being disabled they cannot visit the stores. Therefore they are bared from shopping at Argos.
    I know MANY people that use the catalogue and order by phone (Landline) for delivery or collection by a friend.
    I spoke to the manager of the Town center store who told me “I can confirm we have removed the catalogues from some stores and I am sorry for any upset or inconvenience this has caused” he went on to say “I understand the problem, but this is company policy, you can get one from Chester” CHESTER? how does a wheelchair bound person get to Chester business park???
    It is my opinion that Argos are discriminating against Wrexham and Welsh Less Able.
    I advise people with disabilities to boycott ARGOS

99DylanJones
    Participant

Well said Mel any shop that cant provide support for disabled people to do their shopping should be boycotted. ARGOS are by far one of the biggest retailers in the country and should be doing more to encourage people to use their services this is an own goal by them and they don’t deserve any customer.

Nen
    Participant

They should at least keep a smaller stock of catalogues at the store for pensioners and disabled people.

Mel
    Participant

Whatch this space! The Wrexham Leaded are interested and contacting me on Monday after they have contacted Argos management.

Sheefag
    Participant

Wow Mel, Home Retail Group OLC must be shitting themselves, God knows what this will do the the share price.

BenjaminM
    Participant

[quote quote=116579]Well said Mel any shop that cant provide support for disabled people to do their shopping should be boycotted. ARGOS are by far one of the biggest retailers in the country and should be doing more to encourage people to use their services this is an own goal by them and they don’t deserve any customer.

[/quote]

“Any shop that cannot provide support for disabled people……..should be boycotted” What an ill thought out statement to make.
    It makes me wonder how so called disabled and/or aged people manage to survive when the vast, vast majority of shops/stores do not provide the luxury of a catalogue. Does that mean they do without?
    I would imagine the catalogue is quite a costly item to produce and the withdrawal of that luxury will, I am sure, save the Company substantial amount, without a comparable loss of income.
    I am fully in favour of equal opportunity for all, just that. I do not and never will, agree with preferential treatment for any sections of society. Give something, and as sure as night follows day, they will want more.

Daave63
    Participant

Well, I bit my tongue off yesterday as I did not want to come over as all discriminating but BenjaminM I could not agree more!

So Mel, here goes, my top 10 rants about your post:

no.1; why was your wife advertised on TV anyway?
    no.2; This is not 1972!
    no.3; They are not bared from shopping at Argos!
    no.4; CHESTER? how does a wheelchair bound person get to Chester business park??? ON AN ARRIVA 1 low floor wheelchair accessible service bus, about every 20 mins both ways through the business park, and its free with their bus pass!
    no.5; As one of the biggest retailers in the UK, perhaps they know what they are doing regarding sales.
    no.6; As one of the biggest retailers in the UK, perhaps they know what they are doing regarding discrimination laws!.
    no.7; Not only discriminating but also racist!
    no.8; I also advise people with disabilities to boycott ARGOS – pinching all the best parking spots!
    no.9; The Wrexham Leader has about much power as a community councilor!
    &
    at no.10, Nen :’They should at least keep a smaller stock of catalogues at the store for pensioners and disabled people’ – its always them bastards!

Alunh
    Participant

Got to agree with Benjamin and Daave63 here. Shops will try their best to ensure that customers with a range of disabilities are catered for and from what I know of Argos they do. Unfortunately, like every business across the UK, they are under financial pressure and some areas are having to be trimmed. Whilst having a Catalogue might seem to have become a “right” because this has been the norm, it is not something that a shop probably considers when looking at their approach to this issue. For people at home, computer access is increasingly the norm and I would guess that the Catalogues will disappear in all shops in the near future. As with the issue of the Post Office and access, this is part and parcel of modern times. That said, it might be a good idea for someone to suggest to Argos that they do retain a few behind the counter catalogues from other branches for situations like this

Rex Ham
    Participant

It is my opinion that Argos are discriminating against Wrexham and Welsh Less Able.
    I advise people with disabilities to boycott ARGOS
    [/quote]

I can imagine those Argos directors at a meeting deciding to alienate their Welsh customers in general and Wrexham customers in particular by stopping the supply of catalogue at their Wrexham stores. Well, not really.

Two questions for the original poster; 1) why didn’t you take the matter up with Argos directly, before posting on here? 2) Why only ask disabled people to boycott?

A moments research on Wikipedia brought this paragraph up:
    In October 2012, Argos announced that, as of 2013, that they would be closing a number of their catalogue stores, thus fewer catalogues will be made available nationwide, after a significant profit fall, and also to boost the popularity of their online store.”

Liz Jackson
    Participant

Quite surprised by some negative comments – ARGOS is a store that primarily operates using that catalogue or on line as their shop window as they only have minuscule stock on display. Many people have preselected at home and grandparents showing their grand children.
    There are clearly a number of you who dint know what it is like to be disabled or unable to access shops or transport were is your understanding?
    Alun how accessible is your shop? Can someone in a wheelchair access your displays? Can you genuinely say that you are able to help all people who have mobility issues to be able to shop.
    I take my hat off to Mel and wish him well with his campaign.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News