Argos, No catalogues for Wrexham less able

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Argos, No catalogues for Wrexham less able

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

Hi Liz; I can genuinely say that my shop is not an ideal world for people with a disability. We have genuine problems on this front. What I would say is that we try our best within the budget available to us and like many shops in Wrexham have had to trim in various areas to survive to this point, at the same time complying with the law. I full remember in the period when I made the difficult choice to liquidate Phase One having had a series of bits of legislation in front of me which we did our very best to comply with but which cost good people their jobs courtesy of the cost to deal with them. It is hard. As to the idea that the responses were being “negative”. I would never be negative about the issue of disability as it is very close to my heart. This is not really about that issue, however. There is no doubt that Argos are disability friendly but you cannot condemn every organisation who have moved from print based catalogues to digital and Companies cannot cover any angle on this front. The Music Industry, for example, opted several years ago to abandon large swathes of physical copy to go digital and the fact that an individual has no access to a computer to hear Music is not ideal but neither is it discriminatory. That said, as Rex Ham argues, a request to the Company to help in this situation might be a good idea. I know that we try in every way to help when and where we can

BenjaminM
    Participant

As I stated before, give a penny and some people want the bun too!

Too often, disability or infirmity is used as a method of extracting more from society than can reasonably be expected, without resorting to preferential treatment.

Premises are REQUIRED to provide access for disabled persons by statute. NOWHERE is there a requirement to make special provision for home shopping.

As far as access to public transport, the majority of vehicles now in use, do make provision for disabled persons and have done for a considerable time.

As my old dad used to say, ‘where there’s a will there’s a way’. Stop the whingeing, you’ve never had it so good.

Liz Jackson
    Participant

The law for Disability Discrimination states that a business or service provider must make reasonable adjustments – in a small businesses without access this could actually be a bell on the door to alert a staff member.

Benjamin appears to be implying from his statement – “Too often, disability or infirmity is used as a method of extracting more from society than can reasonably be expected, without resorting to preferential treatment”. that disabled people are on the ‘take’. I agree that there may be some people who have a disability due to self affliction– drinking, smoking eating excessively and they could have potentially prevented the disability this however is probably the majority as I am sure no one intentionally goes out of their way to become disabled.

Alunh
    Participant

You are quite correct Liz; there are things that retailers and society can do to make a difference and it is incumbent upon all to do this if possible and if feasible. I only have a grouse on the issue currently being floated as I can’t support the notion that a Company trimming their Catalogue offer for commercial reasons (I presume?) is acting in some sort of untoward way. I would also remind people that they have to be careful what words that they use when referencing a major retailer on a delicate matter like this. whilst there are good and bad practices, and I suspect we all know what they are, an individual might score an own goal legally if they use the wrong phrase in the direction of a company like Argos.

Sheefag
    Participant

Storm in a teacup.
    1/ I’m positive that if you rang Argos customer services and explained your plight, they’d mail you a copy of the catalogue.

2/ [quote quote=116594]…….an individual might score an own goal legally if they use the wrong phrase in the direction of a company like Argos.[/quote]

Come on Alun, do you really scare that easily? If I call Argos a BUNCH OF TOSSERS on here, they won’t give a stuff let alone waste money on legal action.

I’m minded of the historical case of Arkell v. Pressdram.

Mel
    Participant

Since this post Argos are kindly sending a copy by mail, but the cost must me inhibitive and we did not expect to be made an exception. (I hope I’m not near the letterbox when it arrives, another less able person.)
    All they need to do is make a few available, out of sight, that can be given out on production of a Blue Badge or similar.

AMA Express
    Participant

[quote quote=116598]Since this post Argos are kindly sending a copy by mail, but the cost must me inhibitive and we did not expect to be made an exception. (I hope I’m not near the letterbox when it arrives, another less able person.)
    All they need to do is make a few available, out of sight, that can be given out on production of a Blue Badge or similar.

[/quote]

There’s no pleasing you, is there ?

R T
    Keymaster

Some more comments after popping it on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/wrexhamdotcom/posts/1020057098049039

Julie has said “I was furious last week when no catalogue in both wxm stores. No signs up either to say they phasing them out. Mum had to go to mold to get one. She’s in her 70’s and has no access to Internet apart from when she comes to mine. Nothing I like better than to “read” the catalogue from cover to cover. Things jump out at you so you go and buy them.”

Perhaps Ann sums it up “if I can’t look in a catalogue I will look elsewhere”, if you are looking digitally will people turn to Amazon where you could get things tomorrow without having to travel, perhaps pay to park, walk to a shop and collect it?

BenjaminM
    Participant

Perhaps Ann sums it up “if I can’t look in a catalogue I will look elsewhere”, if you are looking digitally will people turn to Amazon where you could get things tomorrow without having to travel, perhaps pay to park, walk to a shop and collect it?”

Yes, Ann does sum it up! She sums it up by showing that she, as I am sure, many others who are critical of Argos, have the ability to ‘look elsewhere’ whether it be online or by visiting a retail store personally.

Every one who has posted a comment on this site obviously has Internet access, so why do they have the inability to check Argos’s web site? Answer: Because it is indicative of the mentality of many who post on this forum, where any deviation from the norm in their little world is seen as the work of the devil and must be opposed at any opportunity. That comment stands for anything from new housing developments, the frequency refuse collection to grass cutting.

I am singularly unimpressed by how how little time is given by Wrexham.com contributors to making comments that are positive and vast amounts to the negative, however trivial.

Some people really do need to extend their horizons beyond the Parish Church.

jaycee
    Participant

Fully endorse your comments Liz Jackson. Keep the pressure on Mel Evans.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Andy Dunbobbin – Labour and Co-operative Party candidate

News

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News