Former Groves School Site To Be Partially Demolished
The Council is proposing to demolish all buildings, apart from the old Girls School building, from the former Groves School site.
The buildings which are now in a state of disrepair are due to be flattened, replaced for now with an area of grass.
Councillor Malcolm King said “We are sure any future use will not include the newer buildings so we are proposing to demolish those”
The older Girls School buildings have covenants on them to ensure they only get used for educational purposes. Mr King went on to say “We are keen to use the site and there are covenants on it for education. We are committed to keeping the former girls school buildings.”
The Council have said they are going to make the Girls School building watertight to ensure the structure is preserved.
Wrexham.com asked Cllr Neil Rogers if there had been any attempt to overturn the covenant, and we were told the issue had been looked at over several years and any attempt would be ‘unlikely to be successful’.
There are currently no costings for the demolition project, with it due to go out to tender.
The Council has said the current buildings pose a security and health and safety risk and these plans will negate those, plus reduce the councils ongoing expenditure on the site which are around £70,000 every year currently to £24,000 after the buildings are removed.
We spent an evening out with the Council’s Incident Response Service which involved a trip to the Groves site late one Friday night – you can read our indepth report by clicking here.
You can view the full report being put before the Council’s Executive Board here.
(Wrexham.com was embargoed from having this placed online until 6am, despite the documents being public on the Council website as of yesterday evening.)
Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email News@Wrexham.com