Ysgol Clywedog. Polish English but no Welsh

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Ysgol Clywedog. Polish English but no Welsh

• Author

feedshallow
    Participant

Just wondered if anyone else noticed the faux pas committed by Ysgol Clywedog. We have just received an invitation to their Open Evening on 24th September. It is printed in English and Polish. Not a scrap of Welsh to be seen. Is this legal under the Welsh Language Act?

NJones
    Participant

Seems to be the case for a lot of organisations in the area, but who ‘upholds’ the law in this respect?

Steve
    Participant

The government are spouting all this rubbish about immigrants needing to speak English before being allowed in, then things like this are allowed to happen.

Wonder how far I would get if I went to live in Dubai and demanded everything in Welsh?

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

Welsh, Polish, what’s the difference? I bitterly resent every penny spent on the Welsh language when the waiting list to see the pain clinic is 52 weeks. I also bitterly resent the inference that just because you don’t speak Welsh you are not Welsh. The Welsh Govt caved in to the Taffia and is turning this country into a waste land.

Iceman
    Participant

@feedshallow 15023 wrote:

Just wondered if anyone else noticed the faux pas committed by Ysgol Clywedog. We have just received an invitation to their Open Evening on 24th September. It is printed in English and Polish. Not a scrap of Welsh to be seen. Is this legal under the Welsh Language Act?

I would write to the school and the Council to complain and the WAG and Cymdeithas yr Iaith to make them aware.

danofthewibble
    Participant

End of the day, if the majority of folk speak either English or Polish, and all speak one of the two, it doesn’t matter if a dead language is included.

And it is a dead language; if you have to enforce its use by act of parliament, it’s dead, or dying at best.

See also: French.

grandad
    Participant

Oh dear, some of those comments will upset a lot of people and I don’t blame them for being upset. Silly people.

Robotnik
    Participant

There’s an English/Welsh version on their website.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

99DylanJones
    Participant

I wonder if anyone in the school has actually asked the Polish parents what language they want to be communicated in– I am in contact with a number of Polish families through work and nearly all of them prefer to be spoken to in English and receive written information the same way as they want to integrate as much as possible in our way of life in order to gain work and help their children with school work.
    What I can’t understand is why if the school thinks they should communicate in someones mother tongue that they have only used Polish as there are considerably more languages spoken by the pupils in the school including Portuguese, various African dialects, Chinese etc.

wrexview
    Participant

@Mrs Crewe 15028 wrote:

Welsh, Polish, what’s the difference? I bitterly resent every penny spent on the Welsh language when the waiting list to see the pain clinic is 52 weeks. I also bitterly resent the inference that just because you don’t speak Welsh you are not Welsh. The Welsh Govt caved in to the Taffia and is turning this country into a waste land.

Waiting lists are getting longer and longer and yet NHS Wales are still in denial. Totally unacceptable to wait a year for an appointment to a pain clinic, unfortunately I suspect you are not alone.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News

Senedd rejects calls to introduce for academies and free schools in Wales

News