Where most of the lights are on

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Where most of the lights are on

• Author

welshrabbit
    Participant

Did you read the article in the Wrexham Leader on Thursday 31st October regarding Wrexham’s part to play in the generation of energy. Is Wales the only part of the UK suitable for building Power Stations?
    Surely, due to loss in the transportation of electricity on overhead power lines, it would make sense to build new power stations where they are needed, and that’s not here!
    Wales already produces more electricity than it consumes and that’s before the new ones under construction come on line. The South East of England (were parliament is) have to rely on other parts of the UK and in particular US to supply them because they use more, much more, than they produce.
    Now I know I’m not quite as well educated as some but wouldn’t it be clever thinking to build more Power Stations there, saving all that lose in transportation and reducing the amount we need to produce in the first place. The people (person, Secretary of State) who pass planning for new Power Stations ought to have had a job in Industry before they were appointed to their post, they might have a modicum of understanding for efficiency, etc then.
    A new Gas Fired Power Station in Wrexham to feed the South of England isn’t good for business.
    Wrexham Council have recently spent a small fortune installing Solar Panels on council house roofs in an attempt to reduce the counties CO2 footprint, you’ve got a few more of those to install boys if you want to offset the potential 5000 tonnes a day that could be emitted by the new proposed Power Station.

welshrabbit
    Participant

If planning is granted for a Power Station on the Wrexham Industrial Estate, it will probably be under construction at the same time as the Prison, deep joy!

dewi73
    Participant

Wrexham will take anything that the rest of the country don’t want.

wid9999
    Participant

As the majority of the work based population is down south, why don’t we just close Wrexham and move all industry down there. Give them their own cereal factory, their own can making and bottle making business. Also the majority of JCBs are currently being sent to Brazil so we can also close JCB and send it to S. America? How about it?
    Or, we could could embrace the new opportunities coming this way and hope more follow?
    Why are people so content moaning about all these new developments. Yes they are significant. They will also put Wrexham on the map in a significant way! And even if some employ the majority of people from outside Wrexham, then that brings house sales, council tax revenue, local shop sales.
    Do we just want to stay dormant? Isn’t that whats happened on the Industrial Estate in the last fifteen years… Now its a ghost town.
    Yes it will affect some people and not all want it on their doorstep, but its development for the majority, and i do not think we should not turn down such opportunities based on a localised issue. Of course we should do what we can to help them though.
    Anyway, Sunday morning rant done. Have a good day.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Wid9999, one of, if not the most sensible posts I have read in a long time.
    I despair sometimes about the small town mentality that pervades almost every issue raised on this forum. Yes, people do have an inalienable right to voice their opinion, but if every moan, criticism and protest were listened to ( and acted upon), Wrexham would inevitably and rapidly become a stagnated backwater.
    I am definitely for progress and the evolution of Wrexham as an entity. Change is inevitable and we should grasp opportunities with both hands……..or die!
    I read on another thread that Wrexham had coal, steel, iron industries in the past, but no longer. Memories that do nothing for today’s population or workforce. We really need to embrace the present and build for the future. That is why I support this proposal and hopefully, in the future, many more.
    The King is dead, long live the King!.

Iceman
    Participant

What is wrong with a small town mentality? I am getting tired of people saying that we need to change our views and think big, embrace change etc. There is nothing wrong with small towns or small town mentalities.

BenjaminM
    Participant

And I am heartily sick of people also that only oppose change if it involves Wrexham. Oh it’s fine if it happens elsewhere, but ‘not in my back yard’, seems to be the incessant cry.
    If it is the intention to evolve as a society, it is a given that one must evolve as an individual also.
    That is why I have said on previous occasions, that the WCBC needs to be injected with some youth to provide impetus for growth and not be populated by people, many of whom are lost unless they have a photo of the Parish Church in their pocket.
    If your views Iceman are representative ( and I sincerely hope not), of the general public of Wrexham, I really do feel sorry for the younger generations of the town who will inherit, well, very little, except the fond memories of their precedents.

wid9999
    Participant

@Iceman 10116 wrote:

What is wrong with a small town mentality? I am getting tired of people saying that we need to change our views and think big, embrace change etc. There is nothing wrong with small towns or small town mentalities.

Have you not opened your eyes to the decline in the town and business’ over recent years? I appreciate all towns are suffering this, but only those fighting to grow (or at least maintain) at least stand a chance of avoiding complete depression amonsgt the town and people, surely?

Iceman
    Participant

@BenjaminM 10117 wrote:

And I am heartily sick of people also that only oppose change if it involves Wrexham. Oh it’s fine if it happens elsewhere, but ‘not in my back yard’, seems to be the incessant cry.
    If it is the intention to evolve as a society, it is a given that one must evolve as an individual also.
    That is why I have said on previous occasions, that the WCBC needs to be injected with some youth to provide impetus for growth and not be populated by people, many of whom are lost unless they have a photo of the Parish Church in their pocket.
    If your views Iceman are representative ( and I sincerely hope not), of the general public of Wrexham, I really do feel sorry for the younger generations of the town who will inherit, well, very little, except the fond memories of their precedents.

What a narrow minded view

Iceman
    Participant

@wid9999 10118 wrote:

Have you not opened your eyes to the decline in the town and business’ over recent years? I appreciate all towns are suffering this, but only those fighting to grow (or at least maintain) at least stand a chance of avoiding complete depression amonsgt the town and people, surely?

Of course, but building unwanted ugly developments when we aleready have lots of empty shops, or building power plants to serve England, well sorry, but I think there are better ways.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

West End queen packs her running shoes for Llangollen Eisteddfod return!

News

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News