Super Prison Name

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Super Prison Name

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

The quality of the staff who run the prison will be the key to its success. The recent tendency has been for names that are not geographic as in Oakwood and Featherstone.

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

HMP Butlins

Shallam
    Participant

Agreed. But still we have a chance to choose.
    I go for hmp hywel dda : great welsh law maker of the early Middle Ages. It’ll force any visitors to at least acknowledge they have crisped the border into Wales.

wxm
    Participant

@BenjaminM 13681 wrote:

You took the words right out of my mouth Dylan. I think a good sized dose of realism is what is needed here. I am damned sure that in 20 years time there will be more pressing items on the next generations’ agenda than the name of a jail. If the name of a prison is the only thing we have to worry about, I will be eternally grateful for that.

The largest social and economic sector activity in a place will be the icon for which a place will become known.

BenjaminM
    Participant

@wxm 13691 wrote:

The largest social and economic sector activity in a place will be the icon for which a place will become known.

Yea, right!!!

wrexview
    Participant

BBC News – Wrexham prison could 'strain' health service claim

It’s not just the name that is important to our town. The cost to our Health Board is also going effect is all. The cost will be higher than those quoted in the article as we are going to have the largest prison in the UK.

Born Acorn
    Participant
    Shallam;13690 wrote:
    Agreed. But still we have a chance to choose.
    I go for hmp hywel dda : great welsh law maker of the early Middle Ages. It’ll force any visitors to at least acknowledge they have crisped the border into Wales.

Since the prison is owned by the Prison service, a public agency, won’t all internal signage need to be bilingual anyway? That would itself be different from most other prisons.

Mike Davies
    Participant

@wrexview 13711 wrote:

BBC News – Wrexham prison could ‘strain’ health service claim

It’s not just the name that is important to our town. The cost to our Health Board is also going effect is all. The cost will be higher than those quoted in the article as we are going to have the largest prison in the UK.

There will also be a financial burden on all emergency services. The police will be in attendance virtually every day dealing with various issues. Ambulances and Fire Appliances are also expected to make regular attendances. No extra resources/money will be provided.

Emergency services are already over-streached and under funded. This will not help things locally.

dewi73
    Participant

http://www.realcostofprisons.org/materials/comics/prison_town.pdf

A few years from now everyone will be moaning about the super prison on this forum!

Mike Davies
    Participant

@dewi73 13734 wrote:

http://www.realcostofprisons.org/materials/comics/prison_town.pdf

A few years from now everyone will be moaning about the super prison on this forum!

Actually I don’t know of many people locally who are in full support of a super prison now.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Navigating the World of Online Dating!

News

Drop in number of Welsh-medium pupils in Wrexham blamed on lockdown

News

Free prostate cancer blood tests as local group share how to get a PSA Test

News

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News

“Lovely atmosphere on procession” as Eisteddfod welcomed to Wrexham