Super Prison Name

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Super Prison Name

• Author

DR
    Participant

“Wrexham MP, Ian Lucas has said that ‘the Wrexham community should be involved in the naming of a proposed new prison’ and has welcomed an indication from the Ministry of Justice that the prison would not be likely to be named after the town.”

Do you think naming the prison after the town will impact the local economy?If so – what do you think the name of the Super Prison should be? :D

MP Calls For Community Involvement In Prison Naming | Wrexham.com

wrexview
    Participant

HMP North Wales or HMP North East Wales.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Always believed in calling a spade a spade. If the prison is in Wrexham, it will be known as HMP Wrexham whatever fancy title is appended to it. I suppose one alternative could be HMP Pentre Maelor, but then again, does it really matter?
    And yes, I believe it is likely to have an affect on the local economy – a positive one!

Alunh
    Participant

@BenjaminM 13669 wrote:

Always believed in calling a spade a spade. If the prison is in Wrexham, it will be known as HMP Wrexham whatever fancy title is appended to it. I suppose one alternative could be HMP Pentre Maelor, but then again, does it really matter?
    And yes, I believe it is likely to have an affect on the local economy – a positive one!

Agreed!

wxm
    Participant

Answer?

@dewi73 11185 wrote:

HMP Carreg tân

Just to save those people who will probably spend £50,000 the trouble

Do our children really want to be branded HMP Wrexham in 20yrs?

johnhoppy
    Participant

Nice and simple :

‘Y Carchar’

99DylanJones
    Participant

I really don’t see that people will be labeled as coming from the town with the prison. Unless someone has been to prison or a member of the family/friends it will not even be on their horizon. The only other thing that will get it on peoples horizon will be if there is a riot!!
    If someone comes from Shrewsbury, Liverpool, Stoke or any other place do people immediately think they are from a place with a prison– I don’t think so..

dewi73
    Participant

@99DylanJones 13679 wrote:

I really don’t see that people will be labeled as coming from the town with the prison. Unless someone has been to prison or a member of the family/friends it will not even be on their horizon. The only other thing that will get it on peoples horizon will be if there is a riot!!
    If someone comes from Shrewsbury, Liverpool, Stoke or any other place do people immediately think they are from a place with a prison– I don’t think so..

This will be the largest prison in the UK & second largest in Europe so may get a bit more publicity and media interest.

BenjaminM
    Participant

You took the words right out of my mouth Dylan. I think a good sized dose of realism is what is needed here.
    I am damned sure that in 20 years time there will be more pressing items on the next generations’ agenda than the name of a jail.
    If the name of a prison is the only thing we have to worry about, I will be eternally grateful for that.

Liam
    Participant

Of larger concern is who it will be run by, which looks like the last question that will be answered. I imagine some of the Labour councillors who helped to attract the prison to Wrexham and welcomed it with open arms might soon turn face if it’s to be privately run.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Navigating the World of Online Dating!

News

Drop in number of Welsh-medium pupils in Wrexham blamed on lockdown

News

Free prostate cancer blood tests as local group share how to get a PSA Test

News

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News

“Lovely atmosphere on procession” as Eisteddfod welcomed to Wrexham