School Transport Chaos

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum School Transport Chaos

• Author

Sue McGrane
    Participant

The children affected were secondary age – not of an age where they would be happy for parents to wait with them at the bus stop – and that would not have prevented the drivers refusing to take them. I went on the councils website for school transport on Tuesday, after my child had been turned away – ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION of bus passes. I had actually checked the schools website, the day before, as I think its fairly reasonably for me (or anyone else) to expect to find notifications of anything affecting schooling there – but the council had not bothered to notify the school, either.

The reason the council are being blamed is because its the councils fault!

BorrasBill
    Participant

@Sue McGrane 14919 wrote:

The children affected were secondary age – not of an age where they would be happy for parents to wait with them at the bus stop – and that would not have prevented the drivers refusing to take them. I went on the councils website for school transport on Tuesday, after my child had been turned away – ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION of bus passes. I had actually checked the schools website, the day before, as I think its fairly reasonably for me (or anyone else) to expect to find notifications of anything affecting schooling there – but the council had not bothered to notify the school, either.

The reason the council are being blamed is because its the councils fault!

From the Council school Transport Web site:-

Responsibility of Parents
    Parents have the responsibility for:

Getting their child to and from school, where they do not qualify for free transport

Applying for free transport where their child qualifies

Informing the LEA and the school of changed circumstances which may affect transport

Ensuring that their child is ready and waiting for transport at the appropriate time and place. It is the parent’s responsibility to accompany the child to and from the vehicle

Ensuring that their child’s behaviour while using school transport is socially acceptable.

wrexview
    Participant

Why don’t the Council include the bus pass with the letter of approval?

johnhoppy
    Participant

“Ensuring that their child is ready and waiting for transport at the appropriate time and place. It is the parent’s responsibility to accompany the child to and from the vehicle”

Whilst this policy is fine for children of primary school age, you can not be serious if you expect secondary school age children to stand by a bus stop holding hands with their parents.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Wrexview — the more simplistic an idea the less likely it seems it would be adopted not only by Wrexham but other Public Bodies.
    Do you really expect two Departments in the same Public Body to talk to each other– I am sure that many reads of this Forum will have examples of an illogical process only to find that more than one department are involved or only one person can sign somthing off and they are either on leave or sick leading to big delays.

Sue McGrane
    Participant

@johnhoppy 14926 wrote:

“Ensuring that their child is ready and waiting for transport at the appropriate time and place. It is the parent’s responsibility to accompany the child to and from the vehicle”

Whilst this policy is fine for children of primary school age, you can not be serious if you expect secondary school age children to stand by a bus stop holding hands with their parents.

Agree 100% Johnhoppy – and I’ll add that ‘accompanying’ the ‘child’ would not have made a blind bit of difference in this instance – the bus drivers could not take children without a bus pass that (a) a lot have never had, and (b) no one knew it had suddenly become compulsory to show, under pain of their contract being withdrawn.

As said – this chaos is down to the council. They made a decision and failed utterly to inform those that would be directly affected by it – its an example of appalling communication and inconsiderate behaviour. It has caused a massive amount of inconvenience and an awful loot of unnecessary worry.

By the way – I was told that a bus pass for my daughter would be here today – not a bloody sign of it!

Maureen Gray
    Participant

@Sue McGrane 14928 wrote:

Agree 100% Johnhoppy – and I’ll add that ‘accompanying’ the ‘child’ would not have made a blind bit of difference in this instance – the bus drivers could not take children without a bus pass that (a) a lot have never had, and (b) no one knew it had suddenly become compulsory to show, under pain of their contract being withdrawn.

As said – this chaos is down to the council. They made a decision and failed utterly to inform those that would be directly affected by it – its an example of appalling communication and inconsiderate behaviour. It has caused a massive amount of inconvenience and an awful loot of unnecessary worry.

By the way – I was told that a bus pass for my daughter would be here today – not a bloody sign of it!

Thats prob cause they hate you Sue McPain!!

HazBaz
    Participant

After trying to get our daughters bus passes for the last few weeks, we’ve just been informed that because our kids didn’t have a bus pass last year, (although they never needed one in the first place and have been using it for years), that they no longer qualify for one. We were also willing to pay, but the answer is still a resounding NO!

Is this the same for all the new students beginning school this year. Does this mean that once the kids who currently have passes finish their final year, there will be no more bus?:mad:

missmarple
    Participant

My daughter attends St Joseph’s High School. 2 of the school buses on different routes were withdrawn by the Council to save money at the end of the summer term in 2013 despite the school’s objections. Around 120 children were affected. My daughter and her friend used one of them every day to get home from school. Now she walks to the bus station in town and gets the Chester bus as there is no alternative.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

Why don’t parents set up their own transport? Our daughter goes to Bishop Heber, we pay £90 a month for a parent arranged bus. Well worth it for such a good school.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News

Senedd rejects calls to introduce for academies and free schools in Wales

News

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News