King Street

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum King Street

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

I see from the Roadworks update this week that work on King Street is about to start, looks like it is to continue for six months. I hope the money is well spent and the outcome is a much improved street scene.

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

@wrexview 6707 wrote:

I see from the Roadworks update this week that work on King Street is about to start, looks like it is to continue for six months. I hope the money is well spent and the outcome is a much improved street scene.

Knowing the mess the council have made of the rest of the town over the years, King street will look ten times worse than it does now when they have finished..

Adam
    Participant

Nice of the council to keep us all informed..

I’ve noticed on the continent, some authorities are made to display large billboards alongside significant council works. They typically display a short summary of the work, a schedule, contact details of the project managers and a breakdown of the costs involved including how it is being funded. I was quite impressed…

Alunh
    Participant

I understand why the Council and the Welsh Assembly get involved in refurbishing an area, I really do. There is tourism to consider and the general need to improve an area that has run down. Ultimately, the general public want it to happen.

What many readers of this forum need to realise is that most parts of town do not require tax payer inputs because the privately owned businesses that operate within an area and certainly the landlords will ensure that the area is up to scratch. The landlords know that traders won’t take their premises and the traders know that they will leak customers.

Which leads me to the Centenary buildings which is the biggest eyesore in the area. I trust that our beloved Forum members are armed with the facts about the Centenary buildings before they comment too much on King Street because they are interesting to say the least. All I would add at this stage is that it will be one of the great travesties to affect this town if money is passed over from the public purse and finds its way into the mits of the owners of this set of buildings refurbishment or no refurbishment. Investigate people, investigate. Question why the owners appear to have given up on their own investment responsibilities, why the place has gone to rack and ruin and who will stand to benefit by what goes on in this entire area. Investigate!!

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I thought the Centenary buildings were owned by the Council.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Have had a bit of root around on the wonder web and have found this relating to European funding for the regeneration of King Street.

https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/assets/pdfs/european/erdf/newsletter1.pdf

Does anyone know if this is still relevant?

WelshAlien
    Participant

I don’t see where it says the council owns centenary buildings.

Alunh
    Participant

Categorically…..the Council do not own the Centenary buildings. These are in the private sector and have an interesting recent history. Many of the businesses that have occupied these buildings have had a……..turbulent track record therein.

Investigate folks, investigate

Alunh
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 6729 wrote:

Have had a bit of root around on the wonder web and have found this relating to European funding for the regeneration of King Street.

https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/assets/pdfs/european/erdf/newsletter1.pdf

Does anyone know if this is still relevant?

I don’t, but I do know that the Council need to check their facts before issuing documents. This one, for example, states that the Bus Station was built in 2006….which it was not. Secondly, when the Bus station was originally floated, the Council consulted local businesses and actually reassured them that they should not worry about the development. They offered a comparable development in Birkenhead for comfort, explaining that after the disruptive work was completed, the average turnover increase was some 40% in local businesses. The no gain without pain approach was also sweetened with the promise of a major shopping development.

In retrospect, of course, we now know that this was complete boondocks, but it certainly sold those businesses that brassed out 2 years of chaos in pursuit of gain after pain down the river. This much I know.

GasMan
    Participant

Why not just post what you are going on about, instead of acting like an elitist idiot.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

West End queen packs her running shoes for Llangollen Eisteddfod return!

News

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News