Groves School to Art Centre?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Groves School to Art Centre?

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

@djrus 5078 wrote:

You don’t it is just snobbery that causes this.

I’m amazed by this. Is it really just snobbery that drives parents to want the very best for their children? I don’t believe this to be the case (though I’ve no doubt that you may well be right in some instances).

If by this comment, you mean that parents try desperately to find a school where there is order in the classroom, I would agree. Holywell Secondary School, for example, and Hawarden are like chalk and cheese and concerned parents that have the choice opt for one over the other. The same is true in the case of Rhyl High and Prestatyn, the latter being one of the biggest schools in North Wales but also one of the best.

Caring parents will track the Estyn Reports and the HMI Reports, they will look at the % GCSE passes per year and they might even look at exclusion rates, truancy patterns, bullying stats, etc. The bottom line is that parents want the best for their children and if driving/bussing them to Bishop Heber in Malpas or paying to go private in King’s/Ruthin is possible, then parents will do this.

In 1970 this wasn’t necessary in Wrexham, nor should it be

zinger
    Participant

There is no snobbery in wanting the best for your children although I always believed that if a child was reasonably bright that it doesn’t matter where they go to school. I am now not so sure of it. Home life has always played a major part in how children turn out as well. If children are allowed to be rude & use bad language at home there isn’t much chance that they will grow up as well adjusted adults in the world of work. Guidelines need to be set & adhered to. Discipline is sadly lacking in today’s world.

djrus
    Participant

@zinger 5152 wrote:

There is no snobbery in wanting the best for your children although I always believed that if a child was reasonably bright that it doesn’t matter where they go to school. I am now not so sure of it. Home life has always played a major part in how children turn out as well. If children are allowed to be rude & use bad language at home there isn’t much chance that they will grow up as well adjusted adults in the world of work. Guidelines need to be set & adhered to. Discipline is sadly lacking in today’s world.

Believe me a lot of school choice is indeed snobbery.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@djrus 5164 wrote:

Believe me a lot of school choice is indeed snobbery.

Where is the snobbery in the choice of schools? When I passed my 11+ and qualified for admittance to the grammer school my parents scrimped and saved to buy me the required uniform. There was no snobbery as we were virtually penniless but they wanted me to have the best education I could. It is entirely due to my parents that I can string a sentence together and write coherently when other may not have been so lucky. I will always be extremely grateful for their generosity of spirit. They could have told me they couldn’t afford to let me attend and I would have understood.

wxm
    Participant

With the data we have, Wrexham education is failing some or many of our children, and we can do a lot better. Many parents make this clear. We need leadership, and someone needs to do something about it.

Y Ffin
    Participant

I don’t want to throw a match into a room full of dynamite, but if the Groves were on the other side of the border, it would have re-opened last September as a ‘free school’ and ‘Ysgol’ Clywedog and Rhosnesni ‘High School’ would have to raise their game if they wanted to keep their pupils. Both schools look like complete dumps, despite the tens of millions spent on them a few years ago. I would be surprised if any teacher or child could be anything but demotivated by their surroundings. Bigger is not always better.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Y Ffin;5307 wrote:
    I don’t want to throw a match into a room full of dynamite, but if the Groves were on the other side of the border, it would have re-opened last September as a ‘free school’ and ‘Ysgol’ Clywedog and Rhosnesni ‘High School’ would have to raise their game if they wanted to keep their pupils. Both schools look like complete dumps, despite the tens of millions spent on them a few years ago. I would be surprised if any teacher or child could be anything but demotivated by their surroundings. Bigger is not always better.

I sort of agree with the free school argument… Yet I believe that education should be about equality where every child gets the same shot at life via education.

I’m guessing alot of the millions spent were/are actually PFIs? Can anyone point me the right direction of the figures?

Teachers are ace and they deserve credit, but just imagine how much more of a difference they could make if the money spent on PFI interest and the schools redevelopment was spent on more teachers and thus lowering the pupil teacher ratio?

As I’ve stated in another thread, Councillor for Gwersyllt North, Michael Williams is the leader of the education committee. The buck should stop with him at the next ballot box.

Caveat: The GCSE exam results are improving.

wxm
    Participant

Are Wrexham schools giving children the best start in life? No. Why? 1. Schools in other parts of the UK prove that a better performance is achievable. 2. Clwydeog has been in special measures twice. 3. Parents are clearly not satisfied with the education some children are getting.

The ballot box is too far away, by then, some children will be unreasonably disadvantaged. Those democratically elected and paid to deliver a good education standard need to come out and say what they’re doing about it.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    wxm;5326 wrote:
    Are Wrexham schools giving children the best start in life? No. Why? 1. Schools in other parts of the UK prove that a better performance is achievable. 2. Clwydeog has been in special measures twice. 3. Parents are clearly not satisfied with the education some children are getting.

The ballot box is too far away, by then, some children will be unreasonably disadvantaged. Those democratically elected and paid to deliver a good education standard need to come out and say what they’re doing about it.

Not going to happen.

Michael Williams leader of education committee and Councillor for Gwersyllt North actually passed the buck onto the school governors. Link below…
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/wrexham/2013/03/19/leading-councillor-in-wrexham-education-challenges-school-governors-to-do-more-to-ensure-pupils-are-successful-91466-33016306/

Best chance without actual direct action or were you can stay anonymous is a petition aimed at the education committee, hopefully with that, the local press & social media will grasp the opportunity.

wxm
    Participant

How do we start a petition? Government has one whereby 100,000 signatures gets something listed for debate on the house floor?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News

Senedd rejects calls to introduce for academies and free schools in Wales

News

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News