Gas fired Power Station still on the cards

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Gas fired Power Station still on the cards

• Author

BenjaminM
    Participant

The proposed location for the power station is Wrexham INDUSTRIAL Estate (a location that is bragged about as being the 2nd largest estate in the UK) and as the name implies, used for industrial purposes. I cannot think of a more appropriate location within Wrexham County Borough than for it to be sited on an industrial estate.
    Once again, there is clear evidence ( as displayed by washer man’s post) of a NIMBY mentality when he states “the developers want to put this in Wrexham and not in their community”. Surely, the same can be said of his post also, anywhere else, but not here!
    So to follow that logic, the next proposed location would make the same argument also and the next, and the next. Would anything ever get built if it had to satisfy all of the people, all of the time?
    Rarely, or more likely very rarely do any new initiatives meet with a positive response on this forum, generally they are in the negative.
    I firmly believe that we should seize the opportunities as they arise and turn them into positives. I am a glass half full person but it seems I am in the minority. I will still continue to chip in with my six pence with though, even though I will very likely take the flack for it.

Iceman
    Participant

@BenjaminM 10187 wrote:

The proposed location for the power station is Wrexham INDUSTRIAL Estate (a location that is bragged about as being the 2nd largest estate in the UK) and as the name implies, used for industrial purposes. I cannot think of a more appropriate location within Wrexham County Borough than for it to be sited on an industrial estate.
    Once again, there is clear evidence ( as displayed by washer man’s post) of a NIMBY mentality when he states “the developers want to put this in Wrexham and not in their community”. Surely, the same can be said of his post also, anywhere else, but not here!
    So to follow that logic, the next proposed location would make the same argument also and the next, and the next. Would anything ever get built if it had to satisfy all of the people, all of the time?
    Rarely, or more likely very rarely do any new initiatives meet with a positive response on this forum, generally they are in the negative.
    I firmly believe that we should seize the opportunities as they arise and turn them into positives. I am a glass half full person but it seems I am in the minority. I will still continue to chip in with my six pence with though, even though I will very likely take the flack for it.

Yes, and why not send all our wages to our masters in Westminster and let them send all their sewage here also. Seize the opportunity! Let them dig up all our trees and plant them in London. Progress!

Jojo
    Participant

Couldn’t have put it better myself washer man.

Born Acorn
    Participant

If this does go ahead, it may be the first to use the new “T-Pylon” design

Jojo
    Participant

Yes it’s NIMBY when nobody in Wrexham will benefit from this construction.

The construction will be sourced from outside contractors and the permanent jobs (well shall we say about 40) will be skilled positions so these will be taken from outside the area.

I’m all for progress, but the detrimental effects this humongous building will have on so many lives doesn’t bear thinking about.

Nobody from Wrexham Power has approached the local primary school in is-y-coed to explain to the children why they will be playing on a school field with possibly 47metre high pylons adjacent to them.

Nobody from Wrexham Power has had the decency to answer the question put to them last year from the is-y-coed community.

I could go on but I will save that for another day, plus I’m tired now. Good night.

welshrabbit
    Participant

So, the Daily Post brought us news from Wrexham Power Ltd last week that they are going to be consulting with the good folk of Wrexham (at last) in the ‘New Year’, with regard to what they see as being an excellent investment for us, however, the have also admitted that they are “a long way off submitting any plans to the council”. It’s my view that they might have woken up and smelt the coffee, it’s been clearly demonstrated to them that we don’t need and don’t want a Power Station of this sort here. From what I can gather, there are only five full time employees in Skelton Group Investments, the Company responsible for incorporating Wrexham Power Ltd. They’ve got their hands full, they’ve recently started two new (Power Station) projects at Meaford in Staffordshire & Killingholme in Lincs. There’s obviously good money to be made otherwise they wouldn’t be speculating in it.

welshrabbit
    Participant

Can’t help but wonder if there’s a bigger plan, what with a GAS fired Power Station, Fracking & drilling for methane, perish the thought!

b-f-c
    Participant

If they let just one of them in, it will reinforce approval for the others.

No station = No fracking

Metalhead
    Participant

@b-f-c 10680 wrote:

If they let just one of them in, it will reinforce approval for the others.

No station = No fracking

Did you attend any of the recent public exhibitions for this proposed gas drilling the other week? Did post about it at the time but it seemed to get something of a limited response. I went and was failed to be convinced for a few reasons, these are my own personal opinions though up to others what conclusions they came to. Left me with a couple of questions unanswered:

Is this proposed ‘frack free’ extraction process really as risk free Dart Energy would have us believe? Quick google check suggests it may not be:

French coalbed gas drilling presents risks even without fracking: land agencies – Natural Gas | Platts News Article & Story

Once this proposed extraction process has been completed could Dart Energy then move to hydraulic fracturing to extract methane gas that may be more difficult to extract? They are after all 1 of only 3 companies licenced to carry this type of operation in the UK.

Be really interested to hear what others who attended thought.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

West End queen packs her running shoes for Llangollen Eisteddfod return!

News

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News