Gas fired Power Station still on the cards

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Gas fired Power Station still on the cards

• Author

welshrabbit
    Participant

After attending the Wrexham Industrial Estate business forum last Thursday and listened to Daniel Chapman of Wrexham Power Ltd deliver an update by way of a presentation to the Forum, I have to say, I find it difficult to comprehend how this Company can possibly supply cheap Electricity to businesses on the Estate when they are only going to be open for business (operational) for up to 50% of the time and when they are going to supply that electricity, if they can (he said) through Scottish Powers system.
    Daniel also stated that hot water will be offered for sale to businesses too, will that hot water be available for the 50% the plant isn’t operational? Additionally Daniel informed us that cheap Gas would also be available. The reason we are all seeing a hike in the cost of electricity at the moment is because of the cost of gas! Most of the gas used in the UK is imported.
    Subject to planning and the requisition of the Firestone site, it looks like we are going to get a Prison, do we really want a Power Station being build on the estate, with additional construction & disruption, that is only going to offer up to 50 permanent jobs?
    Mr Chapman also told us that Wrexham, as a town, are a net importer of Electricity, so are 99.9% of all the other towns and cities throughout the UK. Wales is a net exporter of electricity. We’ve already got Connah’s Quay 12 miles up the road capable of supplying half of Wales’s needs.
    The way I understand it is that Wrexham Power Ltd are seeking planning permission for an Energy Centre, I think it is then their intention to sell that to an Energy Company who might not want to honour anything or everything Wrexham Power Ltd are offering. What do you think?

wrexview
    Participant

Any reason given for it only being in production for 50% of the time?

welshrabbit
    Participant

Gas fired power stations aren’t economical to run if the sales price is high, prices are set every half hour.
    One is being proposed for building in Hirwaun, South Wales, that’s only going to be running for ‘up to 1500 hours per annum’ that’s only 17% capacity.

welshrabbit
    Participant

I’d be surprised if any businesses gained any benefit from a new Power Station being built on the Estate, how can they if they can’t get the energy they need, including hot water when they need it. Be it 50% or 20% businesses need supplies 100% of the time they’re operating!

BenjaminM
    Participant

Try reading up on GRID ENERGY STORAGE for an answer to your query.

welshrabbit
    Participant

No, couldn’t find anything relating to the storage & temperature control of hot water.
    With regard to electricity, this power station will probably be run when the selling price of electricity justifies the ignition button being pressed and that’s at a time of high demand/usage, not to feed a storage system. Kelloggs, for instance run their plant 24/7 not when we’ve all arrived home from work and put the cooker & kettle on and shower the kids.

BenjaminM
    Participant

GRID ENERGY STORAGE- I think you have misinterpreted- not at the end user stage but at production/ distribution level.
    Google it and you will see how continuous supply is maintained.

I as an individual living in an area of beautiful countryside would be very concerned ifnew pylons where built to carry power from the new proposed powere station up to the Legacy for distribution to the national grid. If this would create jobs ,then yes go ahead but otherwise do we actually need another power station in North Wales.

Jojo
    Participant

I am at a loss as to how on earth this monstrosity of a potential building ever got this far. Please wake up and smell the coffee.

Oh, and I assume some grants will be involved.

Washer man
    Participant

Wrexham is a great place to live. So let’s keep it that way, positive change is good, new development is good, if it improves/enhances the life of the people and the community. Building a power station in Wrexham will have a big effect on the lives of the local community. Pollution, noise vibration magnetic fields with health hazards and a blot on the landscape that’s why the developers want to put this in Wrexham and not in their community. Let’s make changes to Wrexham, changes that will improve our life style rather than damage our health and not accept the things other towns don’t want.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

West End queen packs her running shoes for Llangollen Eisteddfod return!

News

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News