Fast Broadband in Wrexham ???

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Fast Broadband in Wrexham ???

• Author

JonnyP
    Participant

On the Fairways Estate, Holt Road here.
    I have had BT Infinity installed since 07 Decemeber ’12 here.
    First on the estate to have it apparently :o

jamie-jbit
    Participant

Just joined to say, the BT site may not lie, but I personally have trouble with any large company that doesn’t do things like check spelling. Fibre will defiantly be in our area, indeed, it definitely make me act defiantly towards BT if its not here soon.

Will give them a ring today as it seems to change on who you speak to, as usual, a farce, or should that be fierce?

michellecook
    Participant

Just ordered Fibre Broadband from EE. Engineer coming out 10th Jan to fit openreach box then should be able to get estimated 34mb/s rather than the measly 1.5 we’re getting now.

Steve
    Participant

@jamie-jbit 2893 wrote:

Just joined to say, the BT site may not lie, but I personally have trouble with any large company that doesn’t do things like check spelling. Fibre will defiantly be in our area, indeed, it definitely make me act defiantly towards BT if its not here soon.

Will give them a ring today as it seems to change on who you speak to, as usual, a farce, or should that be fierce?

Think some people missed the ‘joke’ that the screen grab was modified, including the spelling mistake by me!
    Several lines of text were added by me, the point being the BT checker just keeps on changing install dates! It says I can get between 1.5Mb and 5.5Mb now where in reality I only get 2.0Mb on a very good day.

jamie-jbit
    Participant

I hadn’t paid much attention to the other gags :D will go back and have a nose.

We get about 15/16mb here on Edward Street, with Plus Net. We’re lucky, but I’m itching for me fibre, cue a being regular joke.

angryShopper
    Participant

As much as I really can’t wait for greater bandwidth, I feel investment in wrexham could have been made in ways which would make a difference, upgrading the speeds at which chavs can download angry birds and fake job applicatons to appease the job centre does not really benifit the same way some more community centres and police would

Steve
    Participant

Recently Wrexham.com updated the story, at the end of the article it says:
    “Wrexham.com asked for further information on which cabinets will not be activated, however we were told that it would be ‘really difficult’ to provide an accurate list due to issues with aligning the cabinet numbers with streets and premises.”

I know someone who did have a date but now when they check their number no date for FTTC appears. Also you can see what cabinet you are on from a link in post 44 of this thread, i’m on P63 as confirmed by Openreach and if there was a list that said Cab63 – Power Supply Issue – Due to be resolved 15th Jan 2013 as an example then this would be very useful. (while the link from post 44 and the information may not be 100% accurate at least most people would have an idea what was going on)

Also..
    “96 per cent of Welsh homes and businesses will have access to world class broadband speeds of up to 80Mbps by the end of 2015”

There it is again up to 80Mbps, so by the end of 2015 96% of welsh homes will have speeds between 10 and 50Mbps with a few getting to 80Mbps and some still stuck in the dark ages, while the rest of the world has moved on with 300MBps / 1GBps Fibre to the premises.

Before someone says, how much speed do you need? It was not that many years ago when a new PC came fully loaded with 256Mb or RAM and a 60MB hard drive! Try and edit a 10+Mega pixel image in Photoshop on that PC now!

michellecook
    Participant

Hopefully, by tomorrow afternoon I will have Superfast internet at last. Openreach booked to come between 8 and 1. It is expensive but with homework now mostly completed online it’s becoming more of a necessity than a luxury.

Angryshopper, as for your comment “upgrading the speeds at which chavs can download angry birds and fake job applicatons to appease the job centre does not really benifit the same way some more community centres and police would.” I live in Caia Park, around here more community centres would just be more buildings for the mindless yobs to vandalise and the police to carry on ignoring. So, I would much rather have the faster broadband, maybe then my 3 boys would have a chance of a decent education (and the odd angry bird thrown in :) )

thewayneinspain
    Participant

getting 4.4meg here in rhosnesni. that’s fine by me, but obviously for those who like to watch tv online or do gaming it won’t be enough.

steve makes an interesting point, if you an internet speed of 80meg, you are going to need a very fast processor , lots of memory (at least 4gb) and graphics card (at least 2gb) to keep up.

80 meg will be too fast for an ipad, kindle fire or any tablet to keep up with.

Sam
    Participant

The greater speed is surely for multiple users in the household. Most phones, a couple of laptops, on demand tv……….

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Navigating the World of Online Dating!

News

Drop in number of Welsh-medium pupils in Wrexham blamed on lockdown

News

Free prostate cancer blood tests as local group share how to get a PSA Test

News

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News

“Lovely atmosphere on procession” as Eisteddfod welcomed to Wrexham