Exec Board Webcast

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Exec Board Webcast

• Author

jimbow
    Participant

If this is the case that 50% of reports are going direct to the Exec Board,then it raises the question as you point out,what is the need for the other councillors. Cllr Ian Roberts when he took the chair at Tuesdays meeting would not allow Cllr. Skelland the right to speak. The webcast has certainly opened my eyes.Unfortunately for the worse.

PhilWynn
    Participant

@jimbow 18774 wrote:

Phil- Thanks for your reply. Maybe you can explain my understanding of the system if it is not correct. The libraries have to save money. An idea is put forward to possibly transfer to a trust to save 75k.
    These ideas are then discussed at workshop/scrutiny level. A best way forward is agreed and a report taken to the Exec Board. I would then have thought that you and your fellow councillors had been given every opportunity to express your views as to either a Wrexham Trust or a South Wales Trust.
    Cllr Hugh Jones in his report gave you an assurance that either option would be costed and brought before the Exec Board before any further actions were taken.
    Why was there a need for you to take your point any further to the Exec Board. Were you trying to undermine the system?
    In a previous post you mentioned your hope that the 7 lead members had finally woken up to the fact that there are 45 other councillors.
    Your leader of the independant group is also the leader of the council,if it is fact that you believe you are not being listened to,you and your fellow 44 councillors have it in your own hands to make changes.

If the Library Trust report had gone unchallenged on Tuesday then the recommendations would of stood, with zero commitment to come back in March with greater details about setting up a Wrexham Trust (as was promised by way of the recommendations of the Executive Board back in October).

Hence my challenge.

Going forward my hope is Lead Members will take their more contentious policy decisions to Scrutiny so all members can have their say before the final recommendations are drafted for the Executive Board.

Cllr Phil Wynn

wrexview
    Participant

There was a time, before the Executive Board Cabinet system,when the Full Council Meeting was the platform for Councillors to express their views and vote. Sometimes if it was a very contentious matter a recorded vote was taken and Councillors names were listed in the minutes showing how they voted. Webcasting of meetings hasn’t helped the public identify which way each Councillor is voting.

JaneJ
    Participant

At the Executive meetings you can see on the web cast how they vote — you have seven along the front and three down the side. Portfolio holders along the front and the seat fillers down the side — hence the 7 : 3 inevitable vote result. Very Occasionally the 3 will vote with the main Ind Group of 7 to support a Lead Member report. If any of the 7 voted against a decision they know they will loose their Lead Member portfolio and the extra financial allowances they get for the role. Which ever way you dress it the 7 Leads have a personal self interest to toe the Party line

jimbow
    Participant

@PhilWynn 18787 wrote:

Going forward my hope is Lead Members will take their more contentious policy decisions to Scrutiny so all members can have their say before the final recommendations are drafted for the Executive Board.

Cllr Phil Wynn

It is very sad to find out that all policy decisions are not taken to Scrutiny. Does this mean I am making a contribution to the allowance of my local ward member, and receive nothing in return. I contribute to the Community Council of which my ward councillor is a member. Suffice to say that the £13,000k allowance should be done away with, and the local ward councillor receive a reduced allowance of around £1,500 per annum, from the Community funding.

wxm
    Participant

However well intended the system of cabinet Councils’ with scrutiny committees and all the mechanisms that goes with this … the webcast has been an excellent tool to open democracy to the community, and I think we’re all lost with the amount of debate that goes on, and the lack of resolution. Millions of pounds is being needlessly spent on debate and process, that could be better spent on people in the community that need it. Debate and failing to resolve issues also creates inertia, and rather than Wrexham developing an effective and competitive position in the regional economy, it continues to be introspective. Let’s hope the politicians fully air these issues as one set of elections approach

LIVE SUBMITTED QUESTIONS [appropriate use of capitals hopefully], that are visible to all on the screen as they’re submitted by all members of Council, and from the public, would be an excellent development

JaneJ
    Participant

Fully support the idea of submission of questions live from the Public as that would really open up the debate as many of the Public have a knowledge base far greater than many Council Members to meaningful questions would be asked.

Sheefag
    Participant

That would be democracy, there’s no room for such dangerous concepts.

PhilWynn
    Participant

@wxm 18830 wrote:

However well intended the system of cabinet Councils’ with scrutiny committees and all the mechanisms that goes with this … the webcast has been an excellent tool to open democracy to the community, and I think we’re all lost with the amount of debate that goes on, and the lack of resolution. Millions of pounds is being needlessly spent on debate and process, that could be better spent on people in the community that need it. Debate and failing to resolve issues also creates inertia, and rather than Wrexham developing an effective and competitive position in the regional economy, it continues to be introspective. Let’s hope the politicians fully air these issues as one set of elections approach

LIVE SUBMITTED QUESTIONS [appropriate use of capitals hopefully], that are visible to all on the screen as they’re submitted by all members of Council, and from the public, would be an excellent development

Wxm – you make an interesting point. Not everyone can or would want to make it along to a Council meeting for possibly one agenda item of interest, hence a pre lodged public question in Scrutiny would help towards getting residents to engage in their Council’s business.

You could always ask your local member to raise a question on your behalf in the meantime or come along in person.

Cllr Phil Wynn

JaneJ
    Participant

Clr Wynn the whole system would have to change as the present arrangement means that the Public only have sight of reports after the 12 noon deadline on the Wed prior to a meeting taking place. Very often the public does not have access until late Wed or the Thursday. This precludes any questions being submitted in advance unless someone second guesses what is coming up and then submits an ill informed question.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Free prostate cancer blood tests as local group share how to get a PSA Test

News

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News

“Lovely atmosphere on procession” as Eisteddfod welcomed to Wrexham

News

North Wales MS backs campaign for law to create a smoke free Wales

News

Here is a chance to land your dream job as a rhino keeper at Chester Zoo