Electoral Roll

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Electoral Roll

• Author

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

@A Nuisance 18243 wrote:

sorry you seemed to have missed my point; The only choice you have is vote for a political party or not. All current ones except the greens which I know little about, are proven to be corrupt to the very core.
    As has been famously said “if you’re not part of the solution, you are part of the problem” that is a misquote!!!

Over the last ten years several of the original members of the Green Party have left due to the rising and now institutional anti-semitism.

https://greensengage.wordpress.com

wrexview
    Participant

The most interesting question now is why would more companies be interested in buying the Wrexham Electoral Roll than Cardiff’s. Is it still a good income stream for the Council ? What are the names of the companies who have purchased this information over the years? Should Council’s be prohibited from selling such information? I think so .

BenjaminM
    Participant

And why should Councils be prohibited from selling the open register?
    You, along with every other eligible person of voting age had the option of your name not being included on it. If you choose not to, that is your prerogative, but if you didn’t, that is your prerogative also.
    It was made specifically clear on the registration form (and on line) that it was the individual’s personal choice.
    It serves no useful purpose bleating after the event. I have nothing to hide, do you?

justjojo2011
    Participant

Does this idea of selling on details to third parties make the data protection act null and void here?

@BenjaminM 18264 wrote:

And why should Councils be prohibited from selling the open register?
    You, along with every other eligible person of voting age had the option of your name not being included on it. If you choose not to, that is your prerogative, but if you didn’t, that is your prerogative also.
    It was made specifically clear on the registration form (and on line) that it was the individual’s personal choice.
    It serves no useful purpose bleating after the event. I have nothing to hide, do you?

BenjaminM
    Participant

@justjojo2011 18265 wrote:

Does this idea of selling on details to third parties make the data protection act null and void here?

No. It can be used fot the purposes that I outlined in a earlier post and provided it is compliance with Sections 94 -114 of the Representation of the People (England and Wales) Regulations 2001, Data Protection Act and the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

Rob
    Participant

@justjojo2011 18265 wrote:

It is still subject to it:

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. The personal data in the register must always be processed in line with data-protection legislation.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register would not affect your right to vote.

Who uses the open register?

Users of the open register include:

businesses checking the identity and address details of people who apply for their services such as insurance, goods hire and property rental, as well as when they shop online

businesses selling age-restricted goods or services, such as alcohol and gambling online, to meet the rules on verifying the age of their customers

charities and voluntary agencies, for example to help maintain contact information for those who have chosen to donate bone marrow and to help people separated by adoption to find each other

charities, to help with fundraising and contacting people who have made donations

debt-collection agencies when tracing people who have changed address without telling their creditors

direct-marketing firms when maintaining their mailing lists

landlords and letting agents when checking the identity of potential tenants

local councils when identifying and contacting residents

online directory firms to help users of the websites find people, such as when reuniting friends and families

organisations tracing and identifying beneficiaries of wills, pensions and insurance policies

private-sector firms to verify details of job applicants.

zinger
    Participant

I just didn’t want to receive loads of recycled trees. I still get the same amount of junk through the letter box as I always did, so it didn’t work.

Mr Wonderful
    Participant

So, because I won’t vote in a rigged system, where keeping the status quo and the charade that passes as a democracy alive, I should have no opinion according to some on here. I don’t do this lightly, I withdraw my vote in disgust. Disgust at career politicians who are happy to achieve nothing in political life except draw a great salary plus benefits ad finitum. Disgust at the hypocrisy of chasing benefit fraudsters yet ignoring the banking rip off. Disgust at tax breaks for multi million pound business whilst joe public has to grovel for pathetic tax credits. Disgust that 2 million children are being brought up in abject poverty today, even though there parents are in a lot of cases working. And being disgusted that we can pay for a ten year war in the middle east yet we can’t pay for cancer drugs or foot the bill for pensioners heating.
    If you believe in these talking heads that’s fine, me, I like to think for myself.

Ferret
    Participant

@Mr Wonderful 18344 wrote:

So, because I won’t vote in a rigged system, where keeping the status quo and the charade that passes as a democracy alive, I should have no opinion according to some on here. I don’t do this lightly, I withdraw my vote in disgust. Disgust at career politicians who are happy to achieve nothing in political life except draw a great salary plus benefits ad finitum. Disgust at the hypocrisy of chasing benefit fraudsters yet ignoring the banking rip off. Disgust at tax breaks for multi million pound business whilst joe public has to grovel for pathetic tax credits. Disgust that 2 million children are being brought up in abject poverty today, even though there parents are in a lot of cases working. And being disgusted that we can pay for a ten year war in the middle east yet we can’t pay for cancer drugs or foot the bill for pensioners heating.
    If you believe in these talking heads that’s fine, me, I like to think for myself.

some of that hit the spot better than a Kahuna burger.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

Rather than withdraw your vote, you should go and spoil your ballot. These are counted and are far more of a statement than simply staying at home. Making the effort to spoil your ballot tells the establishment that you have taken a stand, staying at home says you can’t be bothered.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

West End queen packs her running shoes for Llangollen Eisteddfod return!

News

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News