Electoral Roll

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Electoral Roll

• Author

sparky1
    Participant

@Mrs Crewe 18348 wrote:

Rather than withdraw your vote, you should go and spoil your ballot. These are counted and are far more of a statement than simply staying at home. Making the effort to spoil your ballot tells the establishment that you have taken a stand, staying at home says you can’t be bothered.

If everybody who could not be bothered to vote did this then the country would come to a halt???

I don’t think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The so called speakers for the people would still vote and do what’s best for them rather than for the good of the people. I’m sorry but politicians regardless of where they come from think of them self’s first and their constituents second. IMO:rolleyes:

rockyrobins
    Participant

Whilst the political elite are still trying to cover up the rape and murder of children i will not vote, as certain documents have been censored until 2056 and some even longer it looks like my voting days are over.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

So many exclamation marks, so much hysteria. The country would not ground to a halt, anymore than it did whilst coalition negotiations took place. I will amend it to leave your ballot sheet blank rather than spoil your ballot. Blanks are counted and announced. If a constitution had more blanks than votes it would be main news and probably trigger a second election.
    But then it is far easier to take the stance of “they are all the same” or “its all a conspiracy” than actually take the time to go and do something about it. When you see the numbers of people who turn up to vote in countries who have previously been denied democracy it puts us to shame. Having the right to vote is a gift, if you are too bone idle to take part, say so, but don’t dress it up in some fake statement of dissatisfaction. We get the govt we vote for and if you can’t be bothered you deserve the one you get.

Alunh
    Participant

I quite agree with this. Too many people keep saying that there is no purpose in voting for X, Y & Z or that they’re all the same, all on the take, all, all, all. Change has been a constant feature of our electoral story and it is only by people voting for it that it occurs.

It’s not that long ago in the order of things when there was no NHS, no Welfare state, an Anglican monopoly of the state, laws against homosexuality, race discrimination, no minimum wage, no disability legislation and so on.

Progress doesn’t happen by chance. It’s 5 minutes since the Scottish National Party or the Plaid were just ideas not practical realities, that working people had no specific party to represent them and the idea of a UKIP or Green party pure pie in the sky.

The political system may have huge flaws but it is constantly morphing and only by people getting off their back-sides and voting will it change even more

Mr Wonderful
    Participant

Why is democracy held up as the great shining light? Why are we made to choose between parties? Why not cherry pick the best from all sides, even from industry, regardless of any party affiliation, then we could move forward as meritocracy, where positions in government and policies are run by people who actually know what they are doing and are experts in there chosen department.
    Really, what actual relevant qualifications have any of our cabinet ministers got regarding te actual department they lead? One minute they’re head of the health ministry next theyre running the defence department….. Where is the relevance? There is none of course, it’s just jobs for the boys, and that is why it’s a mess.

sparky1
    Participant

@Mr Wonderful 18360 wrote:

Why is democracy held up as the great shining light? Why are we made to choose between parties? Why not cherry pick the best from all sides, even from industry, regardless of any party affiliation, then we could move forward as meritocracy, where positions in government and policies are run by people who actually know what they are doing and are experts in there chosen department.
    Really, what actual relevant qualifications have any of our cabinet ministers got regarding te actual department they lead? One minute they’re head of the health ministry next theyre running the defence department….. Where is the relevance? There is none of course, it’s just jobs for the boys, and that is why it’s a mess.

well done sir wel done
    i wounder how long a company would last in the real world if they did anything like the above :confused::confused::confused:

Ferret
    Participant

@johnhoppy 18227 wrote:

The electoral registration system has recently changed and I wonder if this has something do to with the drop in the number of registered voters. Is this another case of it isn’t broken so lets change it?

Looking at the figures released today it looks like you’re bang on. Massive drops in first-time voter registration following the switch to individual registration.

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

As has been said the rules have changed and it is down to the individual to register themselves. If you have not had recent confirmation you are on the register I would implore you to do so. Then you can vote as you wish ,be angry or apathetic but you have your part in democracy.
    I recently approached the other group leaders on the council so we could give a joint non-partisan appeal, as per the advice on much council info, to spread the message to register. I got positive support from the Plaid Cymru group and Lib-Dem group but no reply from either Independent groups or the Tories. I trust they are not unhappy with a lesser electorate.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News