Changing Negative Perceptions Of Wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Changing Negative Perceptions Of Wrexham

• Author

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

Excellent points Superalan. I think the town centre needs a patrolling police officer (Not a PCSO) all the time, every single working day of the week 8-5, dealing with all the problems mentioned above. I rarely ever see a proper police officer on patrol in the daytime in Regent St, High St, Hope St dealing with the beggers and drinkers etc, rather a patrol car, responding to crime that has already occurred.

Also its not just about crime statistics, its also about public perception, and its that feeling of well-being which has been severely dented in the last week.

One of the plus points of Wrexham town centre is the CCTV. The operators are fantastic and do a great job in helping to keep people safe. But they need someone on the ground, a fully warranted police officer, who everyone knows, supported by PCSO’s. If there is one allocated, I never see that person. At the moment the balance is all wrong.

Two pence worth
    Participant

in my humble opinion, the powers that be will decide that due to extreme failure of the super schools in this area, the next generation really have got a battle on their hands with regards to having any morals, respect for society and the respect for the powers of the police, learnt behaviour from SOME not all of the parents (todays teenagers) due to the fact an awful lot of the children that attend these two so called super schools come from deprived areas and have no working parents, some by choice and some not. in order to support austerity they will build the super prison in the area so that costs can be kept. Crime in the area appears to be on the increase and the severity disturbing and this before benefits are paid monthly, what will happen then, i dread to think. So they will decide that people can be shipped a few miles down the road and keep expenses to a minimum. This from someone who loved this town until the very heart of it was torn away by the very people we elected and trusted our future with. I hope they have a conscience.

wxm
    Participant

Wrexham must decide who it wants to be, and sell who it is to the world. The responsibility for this can only sit with the democratically elected political leaders. In doing so, Wrexham must have effective long term schools and a road network that will support access to our markets.

Customers, visitors, or prospective residents to Wrexham will look at the welcome they get, the facilities the town centre and County provides. What is the heart beat of Wrexham that we can sell to others; we don’t know!

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

There are plenty of reasons to be proud of Wrexham. A few are in the short film below.
    Film One – YouTube

harry
    Participant

I for one don’t feel comfortable walking around Wrexham town centre on a saturday afternoon nevermind after dark, lots of unsavory people around who make me feel uncomfortable. No wonder traffic is so bad, noone feels safe enough to get out the car and walk!

Go back 10 years ago and i felt a hell of a lot safer and even walked home after dark to acton from town on a night out! would I now? no way

BenjaminM
    Participant

A theme that seems to be common to a lot of posts on this thread, is the perceived threat posed by, may I paraphrase, by an undesirable element of Wrexham inhabitants.
    Because of a couple of recent incidents, one of tragic proportions, it seems to me that some people think it is becoming like the Wild West.
    Let me try and contextualise:
    I worked in an emergency service in and around Moss Side, Manchester for a number of years in a period encompassing the riots. Whilst there, on two occasions, I arrived at work to find a dead body thrown over the boundary wall of the station where I was based.
    I also lived in a third world Caribbean country for several years where gun crime in the town was almost an every day occurrence. I exaggerate not.
    Compared to those situations, living in Wrexham is a walk in the park.
    I think that those who live in a semi cloistered environment, like Wrexham, have a not unnatural tendency to sensationalise events and give greater emphasis to them than the real situation warrants.
    By reacting to what is an essentially a minor blip in the bigger picture, fuels the negative perception of the town by stigmatising it as if Armageddon is about to strike.

zinger
    Participant

I can’t honestly say that I have ever felt unsafe in Wrexham County. There again, I am not likely to go into town or for a walk in the park alone after dark either.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I am often alone in the town centre, admittedly this is at lunch time. I have never felt threatened and am quite comfortable in Wrexham. I am aware of my surroundings and am careful no matter where I am.

I avoid alleyways and dark spots and keep amongst the crowds where possible. I am only 5’6″ but I have a secret weapon. I can scream like a banshee and it scares the bejeebers out of anyone in earshot. :eek:

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    BenjaminM;7604 wrote:
    A theme that seems to be common to a lot of posts on this thread, is the perceived threat posed by, may I paraphrase, by an undesirable element of Wrexham inhabitants.
    Because of a couple of recent incidents, one of tragic proportions, it seems to me that some people think it is becoming like the Wild West.
    Let me try and contextualise:
    I worked in an emergency service in and around Moss Side, Manchester for a number of years in a period encompassing the riots. Whilst there, on two occasions, I arrived at work to find a dead body thrown over the boundary wall of the station where I was based.
    I also lived in a third world Caribbean country for several years where gun crime in the town was almost an every day occurrence. I exaggerate not.
    Compared to those situations, living in Wrexham is a walk in the park.
    I think that those who live in a semi cloistered environment, like Wrexham, have a not unnatural tendency to sensationalise events and give greater emphasis to them than the real situation warrants.
    By reacting to what is an essentially a minor blip in the bigger picture, fuels the negative perception of the town by stigmatising it as if Armageddon is about to strike.

With the exception of “I think that those who live in a semi cloistered environment, like Wrexham, have a not unnatural tendency to sensationalise events and give greater emphasis to them than the real situation warrants.” the above is what i think too. It’s wrong to label someone who cares for their community in a negative way.

But on the whole Wrexham is a very safe town.

However, I don’t think that if you care for your community you should tolerate standards slipping. This is why we have had such a positive backlash towards the recent events.

People don’t want standards slippling and these locals who want to improve wrexham should be commended for sticking there head above the parapits.

dewi73
    Participant

With the UK’s largest prison about to be built up the road I’m sure a lot more Unsavoury characters will be coming to the town.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

West End queen packs her running shoes for Llangollen Eisteddfod return!

News

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News