Changing Negative Perceptions Of Wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Changing Negative Perceptions Of Wrexham

• Author

Born Acorn
    Participant
    angryShopper;3187 wrote:
    I never really heard anyone moan about EM when asda was down there, but of course then we had a nice bridge and not a go kart track to get from halfords to kfc.

That got me thinking; when I was a kid every saturday consisted of parking in Eagles Meadow and then walking past ASDA up into town for the days shopping. If anything since the council car park was to the North of the flyover it was a longer walk than now, yet many people did it with no complaints?

Vinci should reinstate the “introductory parking” offer that was £1 for a couple of hours. I bet they’d see an increase in business then.

Simon
    Participant

Quite right Wayne.

What annoys me is that Wrexham Council presses for the town to become a city, yet can’t get the basics right.

Communication i.e roads around the town are a nightmare. One smash at tea time and the whole town is snarled up. On a good day at this time, or any other time, come off the A483 and head for the town centre and it’s a nightmare getting into town, negotiating the one-way system etc
    B&Q roundabout. It’s in darkness without street lighting on at night time. What an advert for the town? Look for yourselves the next time you drive round it at night. You can’t even see the road markings!
    Chester Sainsburys. No problems driving in and out. Sadly not the case for Wrexham, despite a new lane being introduced… The traffic lights on the B&Q roundabout don’t let enough traffic pass through for a start…

Judge for yourselves.

Simon
    Participant

and…

Saturday afternoon after the first snow had arrived, the outer lane on the A483 had not been cleared of snow, leaving just one lane open. Just the same with one lane around the Plas Coch/Sainsburys roundabouts. I can appreciate the Council can’t clear roads on estates etc but the bypass and a retail park off the main route into the town?

This was 5pm by the way on a Saturday. Biggest shopping day of the week.

:D

wrexview
    Participant

Well Tesco seem to think Wrexham is on the up. The fresh meat counter today had a full finest rib of beef priced at over £90.

Rob
    Participant

Bumping this from January as it seems this debate has restarted after recent events…

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

The negative perceptions are partly due to exaggerated reporting of recent events. I read a story in the on line Daily Post about the recent murder and it was made up of the messages left at the scene by members of the victims familiy. It is very lazy reporting in my opinion. At least wrexham.com is local and reports the facts.

A couple of incidents do not define us and it’s business as usual for Wrexham. I will be more aware of my surroundings but I still feel it’s safer to be in Wrexham than other places.

DIEARD
    Participant

Just come back from a week in Rome.
    Armed army personnel on every street corner.
    Felt really safe.
    Issue with this country (not just Wrexham) is that the law does not fall down on people hard enough, there is no deterent. Kids get away with anything being under age and they know it.

On another note about Wrexham.
    I personally don’t feel safe taking my kids into town shopping, passing the local druggys and piss heads. No thank you.

locallad
    Participant

No wonder people are negative about Wrexham.You go to Llwyn Isaf on a Sunny day,its full of Druggies & Drunks who are not from this area,sounds as if they are from Chester or Merseyside.The Library full of the same.Last Thursday as i walked home from work there were 2 Males knocking holes out of each other on the car park behind The Peoples Market,being watched by the rest of the Drunks waiting to be fed for free.The Police have lost control in this Town.Then they have the cheek to say Crime is Down.Wrexham has become a Dumping Ground for the North West.

dewi73
    Participant

Eagles Meadow was going to be the future for Wrexham town centre.
    So called ‘super schools’ would be the way forward with regards to local education.
    Now a ‘super prison’ will benefit the town!
    Wrong, Wrong & Wrong

Any negativity surrounding Wrexham will not be enhanced by opening the UK’s largest prison only a few miles from the Town centre.

superalan
    Participant

Let me give an unbiased outsiders view.

I have worked in Birkenhead between 2003-2010 and that area was bad.
    We used to have bagheads robbing our shop every day,crapping in our bad yard and so forth.
    Shoplifting was rife.
    Yet the shop I worked in,rose from £43000 in 2005,to £76000 when I left in 2010.
    People love a bargain and in Birkenhead,it’s basically one long run into Birkenhead market and the town flourished.
    The have now built a big asda there and it wrecked the town.
    It cut down parking spaces,destroyed some small local businesses with a CPO and has cut footfall.
    Now Wrexham…..When I first starting working in the town I thought WOW!!!..Lovely place,not much shoplifting(there still isn’t really in comparison with Birkenhead) and a good market.
    3 years on,what do I see? Firstly the town centre has suffered due to closures of footfall stores such as TJ’s peacocks,etc.What did wrexham council suggest to stores to increase footfall into the town centre?A load of hanging baskets!!!!
    I mean,who runs these councils?? What an absolutely awaful idea that was.
    If anyone watched what they did with empty shops in Swansea,they give them to budding artists to showcase their work,or LOCAL charities to help the area.
    It breaks my heart walking past these empty building thinking what LOCAL people could do to revive the area.

I am in agreement as well with the comments reagrding the local media.ie. the wrexham Leader…All it does is report NEGATIVE thing about wrexham.Surely they need to focus on positive issues in the area.I don’t read it now because it’s depressing.

Also,there should be a ZERO tolerance on these muppets who get their free soup at the back of the peoples market.I am 6 foot,18 stone,yet even I feel intimidated by their f’in this and that and lack of respect for society..and you wonder why good ordinary folk don’t shop in Wrexham?

Then you got the chuggers who drive people away from shops because everyones trying to avoid them…they should be banned.
    The guy with the beard shouting obscenities on hope street everyday.He has mental health issues,yet is allowed to abuse people…What must tourists here for the day think of that??
    The guy who has a megaphone and sings religious songs…why is that allowed? freedom of speech? So I can tell him to f off? Probably not as I would get arrested,yet I find his pushing religion onto people offensive.
    Finally,the man selling copy wrexham stuff before the final…Did he have a licence? WAS HE ARRESTED? I very much doubt it and he takes custom from town centre shops.

The problem is overall,not enough being done to get rid of the idiots and no clue by Wrexham council what the general public would like…My 73 year old dad said to me when I read out the statement…WHAT’S AN APP??

I REST MY CASE.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Andy Dunbobbin – Labour and Co-operative Party candidate

News

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News