Wrexham Football Club

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Football Club

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Now it looks like the football club will be owned by billionaires , will the Council seek a market rent for the Groves land allocated for the new training ground? The Groves land is a valuable asset, especially now we know Lidl paid over £2,000,000 for the police station land , with all its asbestos problems. Doesn’t seem appropriate to give billionaires a pepper corn rent.

jimbow
    Participant

The football club at present is community owned. The community may still own a percentage when the heads of terms are agreed with the investors . Until such time lets wait and see what happens.

If you are so concerned about money, go and preach to the handful of people that protested when WCBC tried to do something with the Groves and got it listed.

WreX-iT
    Participant

This could be the making of the town and the club.
    If Amazon or Netflix make a series out of it, they could global!

Lets just get behind it!

janeywxm
    Participant

I agree with WreX-it. Who knows where this could lead?

Netflix or Amazon would be amazing. I’ve loved watching the behind the scenes series they made on Sunderland, Spurs and Leeds.

My only concern is that Ryan Reynolds is a very savvy businessman and recently made 650 million on a gin brand. I’d hate to see him buy into Wrexham then leave it worse off in some way. Wrexham FC has had it’s fair share of owners who didn’t have the best interests of the club at heart.

Janey

Matt
    Participant

I have a feeling investing at non-league level would be a passion project rather than looking to make money out of it. I view it as perhaps like the rest of us having a fantasy football team, but when you are really rich you can have your own fully fledged real team. I think long suffering Wrexham fans will be cautious about who comes in to own the club after the large number of crooks over the past few decades. The promise of millions in investment is definitely a plus and there are no assets left to be stripped.

For the time being if the takeover occurs I think people can be cautiously optimistic that it can only be a good thing for the club. At the end of the day, Wrexham’s problem is they’ve never had the money other clubs have had, hence the position they’ve held in non league for the past long time.

zinger
    Participant

What Wrexham AFC have got going for them is footballing history. When you consider that we have one of the oldest clubs in the world, the oldest international football ground still in use, the beginnings of Welsh football signed & sealed in Wrexham, the new football museum to be in Wrexham & most of all the fantastic supporters who have supported the club through thick & thin.

I will never forget when the fans came together to raise funds to keep the club.

Football is woven into the very fabric of Wrexham town.

Rex Ham
    Participant

Matt and zinger (sounds like a fancy cocktail!) I full agree with your comments. As long as caution and due diligence is employed it could be good for the club and the town. These two actors don’t need a “get rich quick” investment and as Matt says, there are no real assets to strip like those in the past tried to do. My only concern is, that if they do decide to get out of the club in the future, they can then sell to unscrupulous people. WST needs to retain an interest to prevent that.

newwales
    Participant

This looks like good news, it may also encourage players/Manager to want to come to Wrexham as they have some big backers & celebrates at that.

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

There’s certainly room to be optimistic and with the assets not being part of the deal, there should be no return to the Guterman-Hamilton era with all that involved. The Hollywood duo’s involvement feels like a ‘project’, a bit like the typical male has a project or two on the go – just involving a lot less money!!! The WST have had their fingers burned in the past so surely they are ‘once bitten, twice shy’.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

West End queen packs her running shoes for Llangollen Eisteddfod return!

News

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News