What are the benefits of the Welsh Assembly?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum What are the benefits of the Welsh Assembly?

• Author

Andy
    Participant

The Welsh Assembly benefits Cardiff a lot.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

The WAG has been excellent news for Cardiff Bay. And £326,000 for children with ALN is a piss in the Atlantic.

TimRegency
    Participant

[quote quote=180498]The WAG has been excellent news for Cardiff Bay. And £326,000 for children with ALN is a piss in the Atlantic.[/quote]

Sounds like a good argument for Wrexham to get a better deal, unless you’re one of those who have succumbed to crab bucket syndrome.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

And “crab bucket syndrome” is what, when it’s at home young man?

AMA Express
    Participant

Crabs in a bucket mentality = If I can’t have it, neither can you.

zinger
    Participant

I’m rather disappointed that after 15 posts that the only benefits of a Welsh Assembly appear to be jobs for the boys, free prescriptions & £326,000 for support of young people with learning disabilities. There must be something else surely.

MargaretA
    Participant

[quote quote=180509]I’m rather disappointed that after 15 posts that the only benefits of a Welsh Assembly appear to be jobs for the boys, free prescriptions & £326,000 for support of young people with learning disabilities. There must be something else surely.[/quote]
    What do you think the benefits are?

zinger
    Participant

Personally I can’t see any for us in North East Wales. If we had a better NHS, better road structure & a decent rail network I would sing their praises, if our schools were top notch likewise, if we had low business rates, if we were self sufficient I could understand that the Welsh Assembly had some purpose. But it is all if’s. As far as I see it we hold out a begging bowl to the Assembly who in turn hold out a begging bowl to Westminster so why not cut out the middle man. It would save us all money.

MargaretA
    Participant

[quote quote=180514]Personally I can’t see any for us in North East Wales. If we had a better NHS, better road structure & a decent rail network I would sing their praises, if our schools were top notch likewise, if we had low business rates, if we were self sufficient I could understand that the Welsh Assembly had some purpose. But it is all if’s. As far as I see it we hold out a begging bowl to the Assembly who in turn hold out a begging bowl to Westminster so why not cut out the middle man. It would save us all money.[/quote]

Exactly so!

TimRegency
    Participant

[quote quote=180514]Personally I can’t see any for us in North East Wales. If we had a better NHS, better road structure & a decent rail network I would sing their praises, if our schools were top notch likewise, if we had low business rates, if we were self sufficient I could understand that the Welsh Assembly had some purpose. But it is all if’s. As far as I see it we hold out a begging bowl to the Assembly who in turn hold out a begging bowl to Westminster so why not cut out the middle man. It would save us all money.[/quote]

Well, the roads and schools are indeed a mess, but isn’t that due to George Osborne’s crunching great council budget cuts?

I remember the Welsh NHS being great in 2010, with patient satisfaction very high. GP and hospital appointments were made in good time. But the Coalition government came in 2010 and I don’t think it’s a co-incidence that things have deteriorated sharply since then. The idea that the negative effects of the Tory health and social care act of 2012 etc will abruptly stop at the Welsh border doesn’t seem very plausible to me.

Part of the problem with half-hearted devolution is that it’s a bit fuzzy working out who’s responsible when things go wrong, but I think the WAG is not always the villain.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News

Senedd rejects calls to introduce for academies and free schools in Wales

News

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News