Tourist Coaches

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Tourist Coaches

• Author

Adam
    Participant

Is this a joke??

https://www.wrexham.com/news/coach-drop-spot-town-progresses-41670.html

I mentioned this in the office a few minutes ago.. some people are still chuckling to themselves at the concept.

Are they truly so far detached from reality?

BenjaminM
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more Adam.

For the proposed location to be a feasible option, it would be necessary for the Police to enforce the ‘no entry except for blue badges and loading and unloading’ to High St which is flouted all day, every day.
    Or could it be that the proposed location fits in nicely with the premises of some of the members of the Town Centre Forum?
    As far as the footnote to the article published regarding a sculpture trail, whilst I am in favour of thinking outside of the box, is this really receiving serious consideration?
    Perhaps I could make a suggestion of my own. What about a pound shop, charity shop and mobile phone shop trail? I bet that that would be more in keeping with the image that Wrexham portrays.

Ieurhos
    Participant

Total madness to even think of using High St. Aren’t they aware that service buses stopped using that street because they were always getting stuck? They should have thought of coaches when they built the bus station, but that does not even have enough dropping off points for service buses.

Adam
    Participant

I actually had to read it again to make sure I had read it correctly the first time..

“A fact finding meeting was held (venue being Costa!) between the Town Centre Forum Chair, Wrexham Council’s Town Centre Manager and a Coach Operator”

So the Manager of private shopping centre, the person who has been responsible for the town centre for the past 14 years and a coach operator have decided amongst themselves that there is a demand for coach tourism in Wrexham…

“If we don’t get people into town we won’t have a town centre.”

I’m afraid Cllr Baldwin that the primary obstacle stopping people from getting into the town centre is that they would simply rather go somewhere else. In the same way that a lack of a coach tour is not what stops me visiting Rhyl..

I’d suggest Mr Critchley uses his time more productively and devise a strategy for competing with the Broughton Retail Park once the IMAX, Frankie and Bennys, Pizza Express, Nandos, Chiquitos open shortly… all with free parking of course..

99DylanJones
    Participant

I am sorry but the single most important fact that would get tour operators coming into Wrexham is how much of a ‘kick back’ the coach driver would get. It is a known fact in the tourist industry that tour operators are only interested in a location if there is a financial incentive. Will the Town Centre Manager and Eagles Meadow manager dig deep into their pockets.

Iceman
    Participant

Maybe if the Council hadn’t allowed so many historic buildings to be demolished and tried to keep the town more upmarket, there would be something worth visiting.
    What would it cost to go on this coach? One pound probably, to fit in with all the pound shops.

Metalhead
    Participant

@BenjaminM 12041 wrote:

…Perhaps I could make a suggestion of my own. What about a pound shop, charity shop and mobile phone shop trail? I bet that that would be more in keeping with the image that Wrexham portrays.

You missed out bookies! :p

johnhoppy
    Participant

@99DylanJones 12048 wrote:

I am sorry but the single most important fact that would get tour operators coming into Wrexham is how much of a ‘kick back’ the coach driver would get. It is a known fact in the tourist industry that tour operators are only interested in a location if there is a financial incentive. Will the Town Centre Manager and Eagles Meadow manager dig deep into their pockets.

As an ex coach driver I can state with some knowledge of the industry that it is not common for incentives to be paid to drivers or tour operators to visit specific towns. It is much more common for incentives to be paid for visiting specific attractions, and this is usually based on some sort of commission dependant on sales made to the passengers. To get coaches to visit Wrexham you have to give them a reason to come, as happy passengers make a successful tour.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Andy Dunbobbin – Labour and Co-operative Party candidate

News

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News