Tesco store closures

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Tesco store closures

• Author

Rondetto
    Participant

Under the plan to close 43 stores, today Tesco have named the Dodds Lane store in Gwersyllt as one marked down for closure.
    This store seems to have changed hands a few times over the years but still not made
    the profit needed to stay open.

JaneJ
    Participant

Some of the changing of hands were nothing to do with profits but to do with complying with Competition Regulations were supermarkets will often trade off sites between each other.
    I will put £10 bet that it won’t go to Aldi

johnhoppy
    Participant

Whoever the site goes to it is important that it does go to a major player. The presence of a large store underpins the viability of the whole site, and the danger is that if the store remains vacant that the remaining shops will die a slow death.

moggsie
    Participant

@johnhoppy 18331 wrote:

Whoever the site goes to it is important that it does go to a major player. The presence of a large store underpins the viability of the whole site, and the danger is that if the store remains vacant that the remaining shops will die a slow death.

Major Player : If JaneJ is correct, then it’ll change hands again won’t it ?

Maybe “Stans” (St. Martins near Oswestry) opening up another smaller branch would fix that issue ?

Sure they’re part of Nisa, but wouldn’t they get around the rules that apply to the big boys ?

jimbow
    Participant

I quite often shop in the Dodds Lane precinct, I have always had the impression that Tesco never had the footfall that either Lidl or Iceland enjoyed. It is sad to see Tesco go but it does not come as a great surprise.

justjojo2011
    Participant

It is a sad shame for those people who’s jobs are going to be lost here, but it is of no real surprise that any Tesco stores are closing. They are massively overpriced in comparison with other stores and I often wondered why the need to have 3 in Wrexham.

Rondetto
    Participant

It will be a shame if the unit is left vacant for any length of time and allowed to
    get into a state of ruin. Let’s just hope that it is taken on and soon.

JaneJ
    Participant

It would be unlikely NISA would be seen as part of the Competition Commission as they are a membership based wholesaler.

Sheefag
    Participant

@Rondetto 18340 wrote:

It will be a shame if the unit is left vacant for any length of time and allowed to
    get into a state of ruin. Let’s just hope that it is taken on and soon.

I don’t know, it hasn’t exactly held the Parthenon back.

Ferret
    Participant

@Sheefag 18342 wrote:

I don’t know, it hasn’t exactly held the Parthenon back.

Actually it did for about 2300 years. Not much comfort for the staff who will lose jobs eh?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Andy Dunbobbin – Labour and Co-operative Party candidate

News

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News