Sharps, Llay

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Sharps, Llay

• Author

kalel01
    Participant

Well after being laid off ive gone back to sharp only because i was desperate for money over xmas and all i can say is its worse than it was before. I dont want to sound racist but im a line of 16 people an its me and 15 polish. I stand there for 12 hours with no one to talk to its like torture even the line leader and shift manger are polish its mad really and does get you down a bit when they are all talking but dont want to talk a welsh lad. I was on the line the other day an there was a mix up with different models so the line leader told the polish operators either side of me to check in polish but didnt say anything to me. I dont mean to racist but a friend of mine lost his house recently that he had lived in for 30 odd years because he couldnt find work and i think in the whole shift im on its maybe 90% polish and i think it needs to change.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@kalel01 2949 wrote:

Well after being laid off ive gone back to sharp only because i was desperate for money over xmas and all i can say is its worse than it was before. I dont want to sound racist but im a line of 16 people an its me and 15 polish. I stand there for 12 hours with no one to talk to its like torture even the line leader and shift manger are polish its mad really and does get you down a bit when they are all talking but dont want to talk a welsh lad. I was on the line the other day an there was a mix up with different models so the line leader told the polish operators either side of me to check in polish but didnt say anything to me. I dont mean to racist but a friend of mine lost his house recently that he had lived in for 30 odd years because he couldnt find work and i think in the whole shift im on its maybe 90% polish and i think it needs to change.

so you can understand polish now? As you say the line leader spoke in polish about checking to everyone but you.

If the polish were sent back should the japanese companies be sent back too?

Worked in Sharp for 3 years in the 1990s hated it, awful place.

btw are 30 year odd mortgages common ??

kalel01
    Participant

I know what the line leader was telling them because of common sense. He was pointing to the labels on the panels an there were 2 types when there shud be one and i didnt say my friend had a 30 year morgage said he lived there 30 years. It was a council house then he bought it. Im sorry if you think im lying but why would i?

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@kalel01 2985 wrote:

I know what the line leader was telling them because of common sense. He was pointing to the labels on the panels an there were 2 types when there shud be one and i didnt say my friend had a 30 year morgage said he lived there 30 years. It was a council house then he bought it. Im sorry if you think im lying but why would i?

Hi,

I don’t think you are lying I just think that there is every chance you’ve got the wrong end of the stick.

Non verbal communication only accounts to a max of 67% of content of communication, so if you rely on that alone you’re likely to only get 67% of the message correct.

It’s sad that your mate has lost his home, but who is to blame most, a polish worker or the lawmakers of GB that since thatcher have changed the law that resulted in bankers selling products like mortgages to those who were on the borderline of affording them and then didn’t keep the risk themselves as they sold them on to other banks, resulting in what is about to be a triple-dip recession for GB?

you missed the middle question, if you sent back the polish workers, should you send back the japanese businesses too?

final point, are you sure you’re not grouping and being prejudiced towards the polish, just because because you don’t like your line leader? I have to say, I didn’t like half of the line leaders I worked with when there. The best ones were always the ones who had previously been in the armed forces.

kalel01
    Participant

I know i sound racist and i hate that i do ive always tried to be fair and treat everyone the same its just hard when you see all your friends out of work, members of your family struggling for money to feed the kids and pay the rent and the news going about thousands unemployed and stopping benefits and then you go to work and maybe 10% of the people that work there are local and the rest polish or portugese. Ive never worked somewhere so depressing before it just gets you down all these people talking around you in another language and you just standing there for 12 hours

Simon
    Participant

I blame both Sharps & the agency recruitment firms. Gap, 24/7 etc
    When Sharps first came to Llay it employed a willing and hard-working local workforce. They even stated in the local press that local people would get preference in a truly deprived area.
    It was mundane, long hours, factory work. But it paid the bills. There was no agency recruitment then?
    Then the EU borders opened and then Sharps constructively forced out the local workforce in favour of agency workers. Reduced hours, messing peoples’ shifts around etc. A form of ‘constructive dismissal’…
    Surprise surprise, they then recruited a workforce from Gap/24/7.
    In a truly deprived area, I’ve been in homes on Sixth Avenue, Victory Place, Nany Y Gaer Rd etc where there is poverty. Yet up the road there is a factory which predominantly employs migrant workers?

If I rang up Sharps enquiring for a job, how do I go about getting one? Or do I get in touch with an agency and pretend that I’m a migrant worker?

Simon
    Participant

And it’s alright people pointing out how many Brits live in Spain etc. It’s a much bigger country than than the UK. We’re full up.
    I moved recently, there were two 2 bedroomed houses with 7 migrant ‘people’ living in in our street. Easy paying the rent then isn’t it between them all? How do first time buyers from the UK find a place to live etc?
    One house had two couples, their baby, and one set of grandparents. Three cars parked on the street, no rules broken but what about the other residents’ chances of parking their car outside their home? Why do the grandparents have to come over? Their not migrant workers? But a drain on the NHS & local services ?

I can’t blame these people for wanting to better their lives. But…

cmaj76
    Participant

I’d like to add the point that employment of agency workers is not a cheaper option for employers. The agencies I have experience of generally charge around £2 an hour more than the pay rate for the job. The only real benefit for the employer is the flexibility agency workers bring, in that basically if there is a sudden downturn in demand then they can quickly remove excess staffing and overheads without the hassle of redundancies.

Simon
    Participant

How many Bulgarians and Romanians will come to the UK whern they gain free movement rights in 2014?

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Simon;3487 wrote:
    How many Bulgarians and Romanians will come to the UK whern they gain free movement rights in 2014?

how much extra domestic output do foreign nationals & foreign companies bring to the wrexham?

what would happen if we sent all the foreign companies & foreign nationals in wrexham home?

no sharp, no kelloggs, no tetra pack and many others, plus of course what would happen to wrexham’s third biggest employer, glyndwr uni?

There isn’t enough foreign nationals in wrexham. Plus of course foreign nationals are more likely to start businesses than locals and then employ locals. That goes for wrexham, GB, New York, USA, almost everywhere.

If people are fed up of gap as a temping agency, get a co-op together and set up as competition, there are enough empty shops & offices in town to negotiate a cheap rent start up for a good six months to test the water. And by being a co-up you can reduce tax, costs and profit taking, therefore meaning a leaner fitter business and being able to undercut Gap.

Stop wasting time blaming Gap, Sharp and the polish, use that time constructively & positively.

There are 20 hour mp3 courses out there that will you get you to speak a2 level polish. There’s a business/employemnt opportunity in itself.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Andy Dunbobbin – Labour and Co-operative Party candidate

News

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News