North Wales Police Web Chat

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum North Wales Police Web Chat

• Author

Rob
    Participant

Thanks to Mr Wycherley for taking the time to take part, and hopefully those who submitted questions are satisfied with the answers! :)

Adam
    Participant

@Insp Paul Wycherley 15809 wrote:

Hi,

Since that comment we have set up Services of Wrexham Action Group. All agencies involved in drug use/rehabilitation are represented as well as agencies that assist homeless persons. I am content now that the right people are engaged with this challenge. All have something to offer, from guidance and coaching on coming off drugs to avoidance, education and harm reduction techniques. I have not seen hard evidence that the provision of services close together leads to an increase in the problem.
    That said I am between a rock and a hard place with this one. As a service, the police’s role is to enforrce the legislation. You will be aware that I recently authorised a number of drug warrants targetting suspected dealers. This was us doing our bit to cut off a supply chain, and react to members of the publics complaints regarding street dealing. These warrants will continue, but are seen by some as a heavy handed approach from us. What do you think

Paul Wycherley.

Thanks for the reply. Personally I am in favour of a more heavy handed approach if it discourages even a small percentage. It must also be equally frustrating for you to see shops popping up in the town selling thinly-disguised equipment for growing/manufacturing illegal substances, undermining the work you are doing.

To wrap up the first point, I’m not really sure what ‘hard evidence’ would look like to convince you of a localised issue however if you compare the location of the services to the known problem areas (bus station, Llywn Isaf, Rhosddu park, Ebeneser Church) then common sense alone should be sufficient to recognise a correlation.

thanks

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

@Rob 15835 wrote:

Further to the CCTV question – we have had people mention the usefulness of tweets and social media in terms of police appeals. Is there a link between ‘results’ and tweets , or does it just tick a box in terms engagement?

Yes there is a result – we have just had our first crime locally detected following a Twitter appeal and all property recovered. The community like to be updated on events real time these days not days later in newspapers and so this engagement is here to stay.

Paul Wycherley.

grandad
    Participant

Me thinks the Inspector should be a politician. Full of hot air and answers questions with what he think will be popular.

zinger
    Participant

@Insp Paul Wycherley 15838 wrote:

Yes – we can access that kind of data to see whether our initiatives have succeeded.

Paul Wycherley.

Where can the general public access that data please?

KidA
    Participant

@grandad 15849 wrote:

Me thinks the Inspector should be a politician. Full of hot air and answers questions with what he think will be popular.

Don’t agree. Policing any area must be difficult and results don’t happen overnight. Its good that the local people have an outlet in the form of someone personally involved in initiatives implemented from local feedback. Maybe other institutions such as the council or the local college should follow the inspectors’ lead.

I don’t agree with everything the police do, but I appreciate the interaction and it should be encouraged and not subject to petty criticism in the hope of attracting ‘likes’.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Navigating the World of Online Dating!

News

Drop in number of Welsh-medium pupils in Wrexham blamed on lockdown

News

Free prostate cancer blood tests as local group share how to get a PSA Test

News

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News

“Lovely atmosphere on procession” as Eisteddfod welcomed to Wrexham