Mold Road / A483 junction

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Mold Road / A483 junction

• Author

Hugh Jordan
    Participant

It’s now two years or more since the lane markings and signage were changed for traffic leaving the eastbound A483 and heading towards Plas Coch.

It used to be that all Wrexham bound traffic was told to use the right hand lane, but it was changed (and there are signs to indicate this) so that Plas Coch bound traffic should use the left-hand lane up the slip road and then the middle lane at the next set of lights before using the left hand lane to leave the roundabout.

Every time I do this, I am cut up by people moving from right to left in the section over the A483.

What’s more, they seem to think that I am in the wrong and they are in the right.

Time for the highway authority to put a line of contraflow posts between the two lanes, I think.

NJones
    Participant

@Hugh Jordan 15183 wrote:

It’s now two years or more since the lane markings and signage were changed for traffic leaving the eastbound A483 and heading towards Plas Coch.

It used to be that all Wrexham bound traffic was told to use the right hand lane, but it was changed (and there are signs to indicate this) so that Plas Coch bound traffic should use the left-hand lane up the slip road and then the middle lane at the next set of lights before using the left hand lane to leave the roundabout.

Every time I do this, I am cut up by people moving from right to left in the section over the A483.

What’s more, they seem to think that I am in the wrong and they are in the right.

Time for the highway authority to put a line of contraflow posts between the two lanes, I think.

Trouble is others getting onto the bypass from town for chester wouldn’t be able to then. Its a similar issue when leaving town towards Chester, you get two lanes of traffic waiting at the lights, both lanes can go for the bypass, or both lanes can go for town. One day someone is going to get squashed for using their usual route and someone crossing in front po f them.

Hugh Jordan
    Participant

If those two lanes of traffic enter the roundabout, which is clearly marked with just one lane for Chester, that’s another problem needs solving.

(But my suggestion for contraflow posts was for the bit actually above the by-pass, where the worst cutting across occurs, so it wouldn’t affect Chester-bound traffic.)

Darlofan
    Participant

I posted exactly the same about this time last year just after it had changed a year previous. Exactly the same for me, without exception I never go round there without someone cutting across with quite a lot of gestures to me from drivers thinking I’m in the wrong. Thing is it must be local drivers too as anyone from out of town would be taking notice of the signs. Contraflow cones would be a good idea though.
    The worst ones too which I see regularly are those that cut across to the left hand lane then get to the B+Q roundabout and swap back to the middle lane at the last minute.

jok
    Participant

Hi Hugh Jordan, When you mention the Eastbound A483 do you mean the Northbound A483? If not I am confused, I always thought that Chester was north of Wrexham. That said, if I read the carriageway markings correctly when you exit the A483 at the A541 junction when travelling towards Chester from Oswestry drivers wishing to go towards B&Q and the Maelor Hospital should use the right hand lane and continue through the roundabout in the right hand lane, again exiting in the right hand lane and turning right towards B&Q. At no time should anyone wishing to travel towards Wrexham or Plas Coch be in the right hand lane. With regard to vehicles wishing to travel to either Wrexham or Plas Coch from the direction of Oswestry on the A483 they should use the left hand lane on the slip road and continue on the roundabout in the left hand lane whilst turning right towards Wrexham, the carriageway is clearly marked A483 Chester/A541 WXM. Cars cutting across to the left hand lane from the right hand lane are in the wrong. There is no middle lane on the roundabout above the A483 as you stated. I admit the carriageway marking changes are confusing but I think you are mistaken in your views. I have no axe to grind I just wish for people to have a clearer understanding of the complexity of this major junction approach to the town. I am grateful to you for bringing this matter to peoples attention and giving me the opportunity to reply.

johnhoppy
    Participant

jok…I understand what you say, but it really does not make any sense to use the left hand lane when turning right on a roundabout. The lane designations have been changed a few years ago, but there are still problems with this roundabout, the main one being that we have two very busy roundabouts very close to one another. I do not think that there is an answer to this problem, and that those of us who are local should be aware of cars that may be in the ‘wrong’ lane.

Andy
    Participant

The problems with this roundabout are drivers not reading the Large signs and lane markings directing them into the correct lane. It makes very good sense to use the left lane to turn right when signs and lane markings make this quite clear.
    The Highway code states-

On approaching a roundabout take notice and act on all the information available to you, including traffic signs, traffic lights and lane markings which direct you into the correct lane.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise signal right and approach in the right-hand lane

johnhoppy
    Participant

“On approaching a roundabout take notice and act on all the information available to you, including traffic signs, traffic lights and lane markings which direct you into the correct lane.”

By the time a stranger is approaching the roundabout he/she would already be in the right lane , as he should be according to the rules of the road. For the signs to be effective they would need to be on the A483 before the slip road.

justjojo2011
    Participant

Or time for people to learn to drive properly?

@Hugh Jordan 15183 wrote:

David
    Participant

Just smile at the people who complain. It’s a good feeling knowing that you’re in the right and that they’re in the wrong!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Navigating the World of Online Dating!

News

Drop in number of Welsh-medium pupils in Wrexham blamed on lockdown

News

Free prostate cancer blood tests as local group share how to get a PSA Test

News

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News

“Lovely atmosphere on procession” as Eisteddfod welcomed to Wrexham