Living in Llay

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Living in Llay

• Author

Trixie
    Participant

@Porkyboi 11414 wrote:

Is Darland the better one then? I thought castellated Alun was the top school in the area?

Ta!

It seems to swing from one to the other.castell allen may also be in the catchment area,i’m not sure.

wrexview
    Participant

Castell Alun High School , is actually in Flintshire but not sure if that makes any difference now that the County Councils of Wrexham and Flinshire are to merge.

Chris
    Participant

Ok I moved to Llay about six years ago and have had no issues at all.
    To be honest it is a large working class village of mainly council houses. House prices are incredibly cheap compared with Gresford which is the other side of the bypass. My children go to Castell Alun. In recent time Darland has slipped heavily in standards but i believe it is fighting back. The other high school that you are in the catchment area for is Bryn Alyn.
    Castell Alun is the hardest to get into you now have to pay for bus. I dont know about the other two but a phone call to Wrexham CBC should answer that.

As you are looking at other villages Hope is very nice but like Gresford higher house prices.

Are you looking to buy or rent?

Porkyboi
    Participant

Thanks – up until a day or so ago it was renting but there’s so little it’s looking like a buy.

Metalhead
    Participant

Castell Alun also has a Sixth Form, most of the other secondary schools in & around Wrexham do not. A few of my daughters friends are there (or did go there recently) and all have done very well.

NJones
    Participant

@Porkyboi 11414 wrote:

Is Darland the better one then? I thought castellated Alun was the top school in the area?

Ta!

I’ve worked in both and can say there isn’t much in it. Grades and opinions fluctuate over the years and Darland has recently had a lot of investment. Personally I hated Castell Alun and loved Darland. If you want the best at the area now look at Maelor Penley, and maybe St, Josephs, Bishops Heber, all on the other side of town.

zinger
    Participant

Llay has a very active History Group. As has Broughton. Llay Miners Welfare is a busy venue. The council houses were built as a model village for the miners of Llay Main Colliery. There are as many private house as council. Alyn Waters is a great country park right on the edge of the village used by lots of dog walkers. There is a golf course there as well.

Metalhead
    Participant

@NJones 11422 wrote:

I’ve worked in both and can say there isn’t much in it. Grades and opinions fluctuate over the years and Darland has recently had a lot of investment. Personally I hated Castell Alun and loved Darland. If you want the best at the area now look at Maelor Penley, and maybe St, Josephs, Bishops Heber, all on the other side of town.

Our daughter transferred from one of the Wrexham secondary schools being mentioned to Bishop Heber in Malpas around 6 years ago. There was no comparison at that time, they were worlds apart. Although I’m led to believe the school she transferred from (not going to name it) has improved quite a lot since then. I also think there’s a lot to be said for a child being happy & settled in any learning environment, if this is not the case then they are unlikely to thrive in our experience. Personally though I wouldn’t rely solely on recommendations, Ofsted reports & the like. I would suggest going to visit any schools you may be considering to see them for yourself, speak to the teachers and see what’s going on there.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Andy Dunbobbin – Labour and Co-operative Party candidate

News

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News